[comp.sys.atari.st] VT100 Terminal Programs

d_alvear@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Domingo Alvear) (02/13/91)

I was just wondering if anybody out there knew of a GOOD vt100
terminal emulation.  I've downloaded a program called MiniTerm, but it
puts wierd characters all ver the screen.  And the docs and such are
in German so I really don't get it.  I use Flash, but the graphics are
not very good since the IBM cset is not supported.

Dom

P.S.  To the people who replied to me yesterday (I only remember the
name Chuck Ricard...) I was trying out DTerm which doesn't suport
vt100 graphics.  Anyway, I trashed my mail since the screen was
screwed up.  Please reply to this message with whatever you were
telling me if you remember.  Thanks.

erkamp@arc.ab.ca (Bob Erkamp) (02/15/91)

In article <7561@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> d_alvear@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Domingo Alvear) writes:
>I was just wondering if anybody out there knew of a GOOD vt100
>terminal emulation.  I've downloaded a program called MiniTerm, but it
>puts wierd characters all ver the screen.  And the docs and such are
>in German so I really don't get it.  I use Flash, but the graphics are
>not very good since the IBM cset is not supported.

Uniterm, Uniterm, Uniterm....I believe the most recent version is 2.0e011 and
should be available at atari.archive as it's PD.

Bob

n8742883@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu (Perry Pederson) (02/15/91)

In article <7561@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> d_alvear@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Domingo Alvear) writes:
>I was just wondering if anybody out there knew of a GOOD vt100
>terminal emulation.  I've downloaded a program called MiniTerm, but it
>puts wierd characters all ver the screen.  And the docs and such are
>in German so I really don't get it.  I use Flash, but the graphics are
>not very good since the IBM cset is not supported.

	I have found that the VT-100 mode in ST-Talk Pro works very
well.  I use it about 3-4 hours/day to communicate with my
universitie's mainframe.  It supports underlining and boldface codes
to the screen, has X/Y/Zmodem support (no Kermit), is able to run
'batch' files written in it's own pseudo-basic code, is able to retain
thirty macros, and has a very unusual ability to mimic a user's
keypresses down to the second;  after selecting a 'autolog' feature on
a menu, the program records a user's keypresses and writes the
pseudo-basic code to one of ten memory buffers so the user can alter
and run the code, thus mimicking their actions.  It also has a
full-fledged editor that can be accessed by pressing the left button
on the mouse.

	The only complaint that I have about ST-talk is that it can't
do background downloading, and when I switch from
telecommunications-mode to editor-mode, the program doesn't accept the
VT codes (52 or 100) properly when returning to telecommunications
mode.  I tend to stay away from using the editor when doing long
programmin sessions as I can't use EMACS (or other editors) very well
on my mainframe after switching to the editor.

     *****   *******      Perry Pederson:  email: n8742883@unicorn.wwu.edu
    *           *			   GEnie: P.PEDERSON
     ****       *		           Voice: (206) 676-2536
	 *      *
    *****       *
     +++++      +
	  +	+	'I' before 'E' except after 'C'....
       +++	 +
      +		 +		... We sure live in a weird society!

larserio@IFI.UIO.NO (LarsErikOsterud) (02/15/91)

MiniTerm 9.34 shold have english READ.ME file and works OK on both ST, STE
and TT (alle users here in Norway use it), has VT100/ANSI, IBM-char set (uses
line-a to switch font).  It should be in comp.binaries.atari.st...
If you can't get it.  Send me a message and I'll send you a copy...

 Lars-Erik  /  ABK-BBS +47 2132659  /   ____ ______ ________________________
  Osterud  /  larserio@ifi.uio.no  /   /___    /            The norwegian ST