[comp.sys.atari.st] huh2

chuckie@pro-odyssey.cts.com (Chuck Schul) (02/14/91)

                         hhhhhh    uuuuuu      hhhhhh

                        hhhhhh     uuuuuu       hhhhhh

                      hhhhhh       uuuuuu         hhhhhh

                    hhhhhh         uuuuuu           hhhhhh

                  hhhhhh           uuuuuu             hhhhhh

                hhhhhh             uuuuuu               hhhhhh

              hhhhhh               uuuuuu                 hhhhhh

            hhhhhh                 uuuuuu                   hhhhhh

          hhhhhh                   uuuuuu                     hhhhhh

        hhhhhh                     uuuuuu                       hhhhhh

        hhhhhh                     uuuuuu                       hhhhhh

        hhhhhh                     uuuuuu                       hhhhhh

            Welcome to the Huh Newsletter Issue #2 Feb 15 1991

            (c)1991 Dizzy Publications........................

             Publisher/editor:Chuckie Schul

             Contributors:Chuck Schul,Ed Krimen.

            Serving the mental Atari consumer all across the globe!

     Note:Please feel free to pass this out to all but keep the (c)on it!

    Disclaimer:Opninions expressed in this publication do not necessarily

    represent those of HUH newsletter but of the individual authors.

    Editors cage:

    Well it's here already Issue #2! And I am still making it all by my

lonesome. .Maybe someone will help soon.So far since my last writings to you

all I have Been saddened by some events of a personal nature.But I will not

let

it get us down.I keep hearing of more people jumping ship to other computer

platforms even overseas! That is upsetting but I still see alot happening

inall

the Trade magazines Atari wise.This month a look into the Lynx and a couple of

reviews on some good ol software.Seems like Atari Corp likes to push the lynx

Portfoilio lines alot,It seems to me by this that they are not to sureabout

There computer lines.No ads on ST's only lynx on tv I have seen,portfolio ads

In magazines like newsweek.Maybe they will wake up one day.One bright

spotthough they(Atari)seemed to have donated to the troops in Saudi Lynx's for

them to use in there rec centers.And allowing them to purchase them direct.

that should kill the boardem down there?!Till next time America...

                                               Chuckie

  Atari News:By Chuck Schul

  Atari Corp-

  They Released a new color monitor(colour for your brits out there) the

  SC1435 with 2 stereo speakers and will take advantage of the STE's 8 bit

  digital; stereo.

  Goldleaf Publishing-

  They are offering a trade in on other wordproccessors,for $75 and your

  master disk of either microsoft write,first word plus,word up,or wordwriter

  ST you will get wordflair II package. Contact them at 415-461-5703

  Readysoft Inc.-

  They have released Dragon's lair II :Time warp.Call 416-731-4175 for more

  details.

  8 Bit Cave:By Chuck Schul

  Well still no one to help write this section but I have read of some new

  products that will help out some of you 8 bit people:

  1-Diamond paint:

    Neat paint program that allows you to cut and save pieces of your

  pics.Requires the diamond cart(which is a operating system like the ST)

    Contact Reeve Software 312-393-2317.Price 79.95

  2-Express:

    A telecomminication program on a cart for the 8 bit to take of advantage

  of the XEP80 card.Price 69.95

    Contact Orion micro Systems 804-794-9437.

  3-Daisy Dot III:

    For $25 bucks you can get letter quality printing from your 9 pin using

  this program which is shareware.Creates letter quality print in several type

  of fonts styles even if your printer does not support letter quality fonts.

  Contact Roy Goldman,2440 s.jasmine st. denver Co 80222 req 48k dos 2.5 or

  Sparta dos.$25 dollars.

    Thats all I got for now,see ya next time.

  ST Hovel: By Chuck Schul

  Being new to the St world is not easy.Trying to understand your old and new-

 Ways and limits are hard.Since most magazines and software boxes not all I

see

 Don't have memory requiements on the box.I always got to ask the dealer or

 mailorder guys(who are lost at times,I wonder if i am talking to myself at -

 times)400k disk which are not protected can be trannsfered to 800k.But the

 protected ones I can't put two on a disk.I have heard of programs which do

 this.But I have yet to track it down.Anybody know anynames spit it out now!

 I wish these things would be clearer,I guess some people don't care.

  Public Domain Of the Month:

  Megablit-

  Great paint program that runs on all Graphic modes 512k on up.Compatble with

 deagas format so easy to use you might never use anything else.

  Atari BBS List:

  Solano Station BBS-707-446-4158

  A nice friendly bbs,good stock of stuff.

  Oddessey BBS-707-437-4734

  A good well rounded board with programs for all computer types.

  Starlink BBS-707-437-3468

  Large Atari bbs,with files for other types also.Good online games.

  Reviews:By Ed Krimen.

CS-ID: #78.atari/atari.st.net@pro-odyssey, 7195 chars

Date: 3 Feb 91 06:29:24 GMT

From: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen)

Subject: MegaSTe info

Here's some info on the MegaSTe from Gregory (carter@garfield.cs.wisc.edu).

---------------------------

For those of you who are curious about the new and rather hard to

find Mega STe in the US, here are some performance figures:

Quick Index 1.8

---------------

                      Tos 1.0             Tos 1.4                Tos 1.6

Cpu Memory            165%                ----                   -----

    Reg               205%                ----                   -----

    Divide            204%                ----                   -----

    Shifts            208%                207%                   -----

Dma 64K Read          5680%               -----                  -----

Gemdos Files          1583%               1607%                  -----

Disk RPM              2408                -----                  -----

TOS text              121%/536%(Turbo)    386%(Turbo)            342%(Turbo)

    string            118%/1911%(Turbo)   1288%(Turbo)           1181%(Turbo)

    scroll            181%/195%(Turbo)    140%(Turbo)            110%(Turbo)

GEM Dialog            209%/460%(Turbo)    437%(Turbo)            276%(Turbo)

The MEGA STe is really an awesome machine.  Its very fast, Atari has mightily

improved the hard disk controller, I get three times the thruput than

on my old SH204, and the drive itself that came with it is a 157N, a very

nice 50 megabyte hard drive.

Through the VME slot on the back, I popped out the card, and looked inside

too see SIMM's, a nice 90 WATT power supply, and a vacant 68881 socket.

I noticed too, that the, (cannoy confirm have to rip the whole machine

a part which I may do this weekend), but the floppy drive looks like

a 1.4 megabyte drive, sony mechanism.  The floppy drive controller

chip is socketed so even though its a WD 1772, it may be easily removed

in the future for a better flopyy controller.

I am a US developer, so I got mine under the wire, ONE LEFT.  In fact, there

were only 10 MACHINE shipped to thr US, by developer request.  The rest

went to the European and Canadian community.  You cannot not NOBODY CAN

get one in the US.  If some guy tries to con you, wait till around

April/May, when they should be made available in the US.

The Spectre GCR works very nice with this machine.  You get hard disk

performance of something between a IIfx and IIsi.  600-700 kiloBYTES per

second.  33ms access time.

  Kitty Corner:These are the only known Lynx games to date:

  1-electrocop 2-blue lightning 3- chips challenge 4-zarlor mercenary

5-klax       6-xenophobe      7-slime world      8-paperboy

9-roadblaster 10-ms pac man   11-guantlet       12-gates of zndocan

13-robo squash 14-rampage

  coming soon:shanghi

  Last Notes-

         Well it is sad to hear that ST Jornal has stopped publication

  temporarly of there magazine.I keep on hearing these magazines stopping

  and restarting it seems like a trend hopefully for the good.Now Huh will be

published monthly due to lack of help .If I get help we will go bi-weekly.We

will also publish an extra issue with late breaking news as warranted.Until

next time I hope to hear from you all soon.

                                                  Chukie

            Huh Newsletter is published Monthly.

            Huh Newsletter is produced By Dizzy Pub.(c)1991

            Remember Don't let College ruin your education.!

            Also a mind Is a terrible thing.We must stop it!

           Atari Computers put simply the BEST!

           Atari Computers power without the price SM (c) 1991 Atari Corp.

           If you want a mac Buy specture GCR !!!!!!!!!

           If you want an IBM Shoot yourself!!!!!!!!!!!

ts.com
UUCP:     crash!pro-odyssey!chuckie
ARPA:     crash!pro-odyssey!chuckie@nosc.mil

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (02/15/91)

-             Publisher/editor:Chuckie Schul
-
-             Contributors:Chuck Schul,Ed Krimen.  Reviews:By Ed Krimen.
-
- [stuff deleted]
-
- From: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen)
-
-
-
-
- Here's some info on the MegaSTe from Gregory (carter@garfield.cs.wisc.edu).

Gregory Carter should get the full credit for this MegaSTe info, not
me; I just posted it, not gathered it!  I don't think my name should
even be in the by-line.

Also, I see that a message of mine was posted in ZNET9105.  Am I at
least entitled to be notified of this before it gets distributed?
Guess not.  If I let my fingers do the talking as much as I do on
this net, I suppose it's up for grabs without the need for a
confirmation from the author that it's all right to print it.  It's
just kind of surprising to see one of my messages in a worldwide
on-line magazine and I didn't even know about it before it was
distributed.

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (02/16/91)

Ed Krimen writes:
>Also, I see that a message of mine was posted in ZNET9105.  Am I at
>least entitled to be notified of this before it gets distributed?
>Guess not.  If I let my fingers do the talking as much as I do on
>this net, I suppose it's up for grabs without the need for a
>confirmation from the author that it's all right to print it.  It's
>just kind of surprising to see one of my messages in a worldwide
>on-line magazine and I didn't even know about it before it was
>distributed.

Both Z*NET and ST Reports extract and reprint messages from UseNet, GEnie
and CompuServe all the time without giving credits or asking permissions.
Many times the messages, for example messages from Atari's Bob Brodie
answering questions on CIS, are extracted without even using "quote marks",
giving the impression they are original material written by the "magazine's"
"staff writers".

All with no concern for copyrights...  interesting form of "journalism"...

BobR