[comp.sys.atari.st] Defragmentation

twmanino@ncsuvx.enet.dec.com (TONY W MANINO) (02/06/91)

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a good hard drive defragmentation utility?
I have an ICD host adapter, and TOS 1.4 in my machine.
Would be interested in pd/shareware/commercial - whatever will work
with this configuration (I have heard of some that are specific to
TOS versions, etc).  I've checked atari.archive, but I can't see anything
particularly obvious.  If there is one there, that would be great, too.

Thanks,
Tony
twmanino@eos.ncsu.edu

erkamp@arc.ab.ca (Bob Erkamp) (02/07/91)

In article <1991Feb5.161838@ncsuvx.enet.dec.com> twmanino@eos.ncsu.edu writes:

>Does anyone know of a good hard drive defragmentation utility?
>I have an ICD host adapter, and TOS 1.4 in my machine.
>Would be interested in pd/shareware/commercial - whatever will work
>with this configuration (I have heard of some that are specific to
>TOS versions, etc).  I've checked atari.archive, but I can't see anything
>particularly obvious.  If there is one there, that would be great, too.

I believe DLII is there...This is a PD checker/defragger. Unfortunately it
only works on 512 byte sectors (I have 1024 byte sectors). I too would be
interested is such a utility.

Bob

boyd@mailer.cc.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (02/07/91)

In article <1991Feb5.161838@ncsuvx.enet.dec.com>, twmanino@eos.ncsu.edu writes:
>Hi all,
>
>Does anyone know of a good hard drive defragmentation utility?
>I have an ICD host adapter, and TOS 1.4 in my machine.
>Would be interested in pd/shareware/commercial - whatever will work
>with this configuration (I have heard of some that are specific to
>TOS versions, etc).  I've checked atari.archive, but I can't see anything
>particularly obvious.  If there is one there, that would be great, too.
>
>Thanks,
>Tony
>twmanino@eos.ncsu.edu

This is both an answer and a question.  First, Michtron makes (made?) a
utility called TuneUp, which works fine on normal GEM partitions of
16mb or less.  It will not work on BGM partitions or ones > 16mb.  Thus,
if your partitions are all of less than 16mb, it would be a good one to
get (I believe it was sold under the name Turbo HD kit, and includes a
disk cache program also).

Now the question:  Is there a defragger that works with TOS 1.4's bigger
partitions?  You can go up to 32 megs!

Oh, by the way.  I have a buddy with TOS 1.4, who brought his hard disk
(all the way from texas) and hooked it up to mine on my Mega2.  Since I
have TOS 1.2 (which I am going to correct!), I could not read half of his
partitions.  Just something to keep in mine if you have 1.4 and ever intend
to hook up to something else.  I am going to keep my partitions at 16mb, so
I do not have to worry about some program destroying my stuff because it
could not handle the new 1.4 partition limit!!
--
             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "God is a comedian playing to an
          FSU Computer Science       |      audience too afraid to laugh."

wolfram@cip-s02.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Wolfram Roesler) (02/07/91)

twmanino@ncsuvx.enet.dec.com (TONY W MANINO) writes:

>Does anyone know of a good hard drive defragmentation utility?
>I have an ICD host adapter, and TOS 1.4 in my machine.
>Would be interested in pd/shareware/commercial - whatever will work
>with this configuration (I have heard of some that are specific to
>TOS versions, etc).  I've checked atari.archive, but I can't see anything
>particularly obvious.  If there is one there, that would be great, too.

Try Diskus.

fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu (Michael Fischer) (02/08/91)

In article <1991Feb6.221439.2486@mailer.cc.fsu.edu> boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) writes:
>Now the question:  Is there a defragger that works with TOS 1.4's bigger
>partitions?  You can go up to 32 megs!

Just a point of clarification.  The reason for the 16 meg limit of TOS
1.0 and 1.2 is that TOS used a signed short integer for the sector
address.  This allows only 2^15 = 32,768 sectors to be addressed.
Since each sector is 512 bytes, that works out to 16 meg.

TOS 1.4 uses an unsigned short integer, which allows 65,536 or 32 meg
to be addressed.

HDX version 3.01 (Atari's hard disk driver) achieves large partitions
another way.  It restricts each partition to at most 32,768 "sectors"
(I believe, to maintain compatibility across all TOS versions), but the
logical sector size can be multiples of 512 bytes.  Thus, if the
logical sector size is 2048, then those same 32,768 sectors contain 64
meg of disk space.

Because there are two distinct ways of achieving partitions larger
than 16 meg, there are two ways for a defragger to fail: (1) it may
itself use signed short integers for sector addressing, preventing it
from addressing more than 16 meg correctly, even if run under TOS 1.4,
or (2) it may assume that the logical sector size = 512 bytes and fail
to handle the longer logical sectors of HDX 3.01 correctly.

| Michael Fischer <fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu>  |

scale@abode.wciu.edu (Luis Outumuro) (02/08/91)

	About optimizing (de-fragging!) your hard drive.  I would recommend
using Hard Disk Sentry by Beckemeyer Development Tools, this commercial
software has a list price of $49.95.  It has both a repair utility and an
optimizer.  It should be available from your local Atari dealer (if you have
one!); if not, call Beckemeyer at 415/452-1129.  Bye..........

					Luis

Luis Mark Outumuro III                |  "Well... you're damned if you do,
Computer Office Products 818/813-1051 |   and you're damned if you don't!"
Infoline                 818/813-1053 |         - Bart Simpson, 1990...

gjh@hplb.hpl.hp.com (Graham Higgins) (02/08/91)

By inference, DLII (the only defragger I've used) must use a signed short,
as I have ICD s/w driving my HD's 32Mb partitions and DLII crashes out
on them --- but works OK on floppies.

Graham
======

Graham Higgins             	|  Phone: (0272) 799910 x 24060
Hewlett-Packard Labs    	|  gjh%ghiggins@hpl.hp.co.uk
Bristol                       	|  gjh%ghiggins@hplb.hpl.hp.com
U.K.                          	|
Disclaimer: My opinions above are exactly that, mine and opinions.

gknauss@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (G. "Maddog" Knauss) (02/09/91)

Anybody know where to get DLII now that we've established that it's
a wonderful PD defragger?  Is it on atari.archive?
				Just too damned lazy to check
				myself,
				Greg "Sloth" Knauss
				gknauss@sdcc13.ucsd.edu

be@arium.stgt.sub.org (Bernd Ebach) (02/10/91)

In article <wolfram.665923768@cip-s02> wolfram@cip-s02.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
(Wolfram Roesler) writes:

> twmanino@ncsuvx.enet.dec.com (TONY W MANINO) writes:
>
> >Does anyone know of a good hard drive defragmentation utility?
>
> Try Diskus.

Where?

TschauTschau
		Bernd
    be@arium.stgt.sub.org | be@aragon.gtc.de | ud01@kauni2.bitnet
           ( X.400: ud01@ibm3090.rz.uni-karlsruhe.dbp.de )

ljdickey@watmath.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) (02/10/91)

Someone asked about de-fragmentation.  If you keep an empty partition,
you can do it at your desktop.  No fuss about 512 or 2048, short, signed
short, long, unsigned, etc.  Just drag your stuff to another partition.
Clear the partition.  Drag back.

For a floppy, I recommend using a ramdisk as big as
the floppy, and copy to a new disk.

erkamp@arc.ab.ca (Bob Erkamp) (02/12/91)

In article <16491@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> gknauss@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (G. "Maddog" Knauss) writes:
>Anybody know where to get DLII now that we've established that it's
>a wonderful PD defragger?  Is it on atari.archive?

That's where I got it. I believe it was in the utility directory. Look for
something like DLII024.ARC. Remember this will NOT work with >16 meg
partitiions.

Bob

david@bdt.COM (David Beckemeyer) (02/12/91)

In article <1991Feb8.072038.375@abode.wciu.edu> scale@abode.wciu.edu (Luis Outumuro) writes:
>...  [ Hard Disk Sentry ] should be available from your local Atari dealer
>(if you have >one!); if not, call Beckemeyer at 415/452-1129.  Bye..........

Thanks for the plug.  But the new phone number for Beckemeyer Development
is (415) 530-9637.  I think the forwarding is no longer in affect and
someone else answers the old number now.  The new BBS number is (415) 530-9682.

--
David Beckemeyer (david@bdt.COM)	| "Beer!  Now there's a temporary
Beckemeyer Development Tools		|  solution."  -- Homer Simpson

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (02/12/91)

Distribution:world
Followup-To:DLII

In article <1991Feb11.164424.1116@arc.ab.ca> erkamp@arc.ab.ca (Bob Erkamp) writes:
> In article <16491@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> gknauss@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (G. "Maddog" Knauss) writes:
> >Anybody know where to get DLII now that we've established that it's
> >a wonderful PD defragger?  Is it on atari.archive?
>
> That's where I got it. I believe it was in the utility directory. Look for
> something like DLII024.ARC. Remember this will NOT work with >16 meg
> partitiions.
>
> Bob

From what I know is is VERY Flaky, will corrupt Hard Drives, but you
must clean up your Drive first, I would never use it, It would be
better to back up and reformat.
--
Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...

scale@abode.wciu.edu (Luis Outumuro) (02/13/91)

	Hi David,
		Thanks for the update about Beckemeyer Development Tools new
telephone number, I got the old phone number off the package.  Don't thank me,
when a developer makes a product that works well, it deserves to be noted!

marshall@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (Marshall Harris) (02/13/91)

In article <1991Feb12.041244.24065@actrix.gen.nz> Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz writes:
>Followup-To:DLII
>
>In article <1991Feb11.164424.1116@arc.ab.ca> erkamp@arc.ab.ca (Bob Erkamp) writes:
>> In article <16491@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> gknauss@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (G. "Maddog" Knauss) writes:
>> >Anybody know where to get DLII now that we've established that it's
....[deleted]

>From what I know is is VERY Flaky, will corrupt Hard Drives, but you
>must clean up your Drive first, I would never use it, It would be
>better to back up and reformat.
>--
I found it flaky, too. It screwed up my h/disk. You should back up before
using it, so why not just backup and restore, like he says!
.
						   || Marshall Harris
Internet/CSnet:     marshall@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au || Dept.of Computer Science
JANET:    marshall%batserver.cs.uq.oz.au@uk.ac.ukc || University of Queensland
EAN:                marshall@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au || St Lucia, Queensland 4072
Bitnet:marshall%batserver.cs.uq.oz.au@uunet.uu.net || Australia
UUCP: uunet!munnari!batserver.cs.uq.oz.au!marshall || ph:  +61 7 365 2908
JUNET:              marshall@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au ||
 	   "If you want to make god laugh, show him your plans"
	                   Woody Allen

ttonino@bio.vu.nl (Thomas Tonino) (02/13/91)

In article <16491@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> gknauss@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (G. "Maddog" Knauss) writes:
>Anybody know where to get DLII now that we've established that it's
>a wonderful PD defragger?  Is it on atari.archive?

DLII may work for you but be warned it is buggy. On my HD (20 MB) it crashed
once: it wouldn't stop and the progress indicator continued past all bounds.

So be warned: be sure to make a backup.

If it works (a lot of times) it is quite good. BTW: the author doesn't support
it (to me for obvious reasons).

I prefer SENTRY from Beckemeyer.

>				Just too damned lazy to check
>				myself,
>				Greg "Sloth" Knauss
>				gknauss@sdcc13.ucsd.edu

gknauss@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (G. "Maddog" Knauss) (02/14/91)

Aaagh...  DLII IS apparently flakey because it goofed my word
processing partition.  I've managed to recover everything important,
but, geez, I never want to have to go through that again.  I guess I
should have just copied everything away and then back again...
				Stupid, stupid, stupid,
				Greg "Bonehead" Knauss

esj@harvee.UUCP (Eric S Johansson) (02/16/91)

In article <16652@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> gknauss@sdcc13.ucsd.edu
(G. "Maddog" Knauss) writes:

> Aaagh...  DLII IS apparently flakey because it goofed my word
> processing partition.  I've managed to recover everything important,
> but, geez, I never want to have to go through that again.  I guess I
> should have just copied everything away and then back again...
> 				Stupid, stupid, stupid,
> 				Greg "Bonehead" Knauss

I remember a discussion on the net a few months (years??) ago that DLII
is flakey if there are 0 length files in your partion.  Does anyone
have any evidence to prove/disprove this claim??

I am also wondering if there are any de-frag algorithms that do
not require bypassing the file system.  I imagine that one could write
a defragger by paying attention to the FAT read only while letting
the file system modify the FAT when copying/moving files to
contigious disk space.

--- eric
^^^     eric johansson   UUCP ...!uunet!wang!harvee!esj esj@harvee.uucp
* *     a juggling fool  AT&T (617) 577-4068 (w)
 o                       HAM  ka1eec
\_/			 CSNET johansson%hydra@polaroid.com
			 or      hydra!johansson@polaroid.com
	source of the public's fear of the unknown since 1956

7103_2622@uwovax.uwo.ca (Eric Smith) (02/17/91)

In article <0007348@harvee.UUCP>, esj@harvee.UUCP (Eric S Johansson) writes:
> I am also wondering if there are any de-frag algorithms that do
> not require bypassing the file system.  I imagine that one could write
> a defragger by paying attention to the FAT read only while letting
> the file system modify the FAT when copying/moving files to
> contigious disk space.

Indeed, there's a very simple defragmenting algorithm that uses only the
file system: copy all files to a backup medium, zero the partition, and
copy the files back. (Make sure the backup is file-by-file, *not* an
image backup). It's probably a good idea to make two backups before
zeroing the partition, just in case.
--
Eric R. Smith                     email:
Dept. of Mathematics            eric.smith@uwo.ca