[comp.sys.atari.st] STacy

bissiri@blake.acs.washington.edu (Moja Fritzah) (07/17/89)

Forgive me, i haven't kept up with the latest news on the
laptop.

Does anyone know if the STacy will be an "open" architecture box?
One that  will easily allow additional RAM, a math chip, a card for
video (for connection to large monitor), and allow an easy
replacement of the 68000 with a 68020/30?

A little much to ask?  8Mhz is getting slow these days.

-kevin

ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) (11/14/89)

Would be nice to have a little truth emanate from the
mouths of ATARI.

Yes, this is another BASH!  Does Atari deserve anymore?

This morning I learn from a developer friend of mine
that Atari can't promise him his STacy now until "late December
or early January".. was supposed to be "end of October".

I got to thinking.. well, if they can't even supply their
developers with the dang things... only God knows when/if the
consumer will ever see one.

Call my dealer.  Owners are at Comdex for the week.  The rep
tells me that they already have prepaid orders for the STacy..
but that ATARI told them not to expect delivery until

------>   MARCH   or  APRIL  <--------

The TT isn't even shipping Europe yet...

I know I am a fool.  Let's see how many other Atari fans
can admit it.

rcc9885@ultb.UUCP (R.C. Costello) (11/15/89)

In article <4435@blake.acs.washington.edu> ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) writes:
>Would be nice to have a little truth emanate from the
>mouths of ATARI.
>
>Yes, this is another BASH!  Does Atari deserve anymore?
>
>This morning I learn from a developer friend of mine
>that Atari can't promise him his STacy now until "late December
>or early January".. was supposed to be "end of October".
>
>I got to thinking.. well, if they can't even supply their
>developers with the dang things... only God knows when/if the
>consumer will ever see one.

This isn't true.  Last weekend I was bored, so a couple of friends and I
drove up to Toronto, Canada (from Rochester, NY) to go to the Ontario Science
Center.  To our surprise, they were having somekind of midi demonstration going
on, and many local computer dealers were there.  Two different Atari dealers HAD
PRODUCTION STaceys and told us we would be able to have one by the end of the
year (this included all the back orders).  I used one for about an hour, and
this is a truely amazing machine.  The backlit LCD is perfect, and I like
the trackball/mouse more than the ST mouse.  The keyboard is BETTER than
the Mega's keyboard, and when I get all my Christmas money, I will be selling
my Mega!!!  They were offering a STacey 4 (that's a 4 meg STacey with a 40
meg HD) for $2200.  NO ONE can tell me this product isn't real, I've used
it, and I LIKE IT! (And I'm not even anyone important!)

Anyways, I really think ALOT of people are getting all excited about nothing.
I really think Atari has changed for the better, and maybe the days of
vaporware are over!  I know I have already ordered my LYNX from the
Sears Catalog, it will be here December 1st!  Now all I have to do
is decide if I want a TT/p or a STacey!!!

I've had an Apple once (and even worked for a dealer), never again.
I use MeSsy DOS a work (on a 386 no less), no thanks, I'll pass.
The Amiga is nice, but I really don't have any complaint's about
my ST.  It's probably got the most computer literate userbase (although
this may not be from choice :))

If you have a complaint/question about the ST, maybe you should try asking
someone NICELY.  There are several people from Atari who read the net, and
I have yet to see them atleast try and answer someones HONEST question. I
know I appreciate this service (Thanks guys, your great!) and I bet they
would even be MORE helpful if they felt a little more appreciated! So
lets have some informative conversation (yeah, like this one!), my
w key hasn't been used in quite a while!!!

Thanks!

>-kevin
>ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu

+-----------------+-----------------------------------------------------------+
| Where Am I?   |X| "Of course I made a backup copy, actually I made two, the_|
+-----------------+--------+ first one was too light." - typical IBM user   |X|
| rcc9885@ultb.edu        _|  | | |   Atari ST: The BIGGEST and FASTEST and   |
| rcc9885@ritvax.BITNET  |X|  | | |   most POWERFUL computer in the whole    _|
+--------------------------+ /  |  \  entire ...  Well, um, I still like it.|X|
| I don't work for anyone, +-------------------------------------------+------+
| so, it doesn' matter    _|  NOTE: Now if I could only have this many_|
| what I think.          |X|  windows open under GEM!                |X|
+--------------------------+-------------------------------------------+

ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) (01/13/90)

Sure is a nice looking full page ad in Feb's
Electronic Musician showing a STacy4 running
NOTATOR...

GOod going ATARI!

-kevin
ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu

elixir@wybbs.mi.org (Rod Fulk) (03/23/90)

As I understand it the Stacy and Ste should be to dealers by April.
Apparently both the Stacy and the Ste passed FCC B class and is shipping at
any time to dealers. (Dealers should call like mine is, every other day,
to place orders. My dealer already was able to order like 10 Stacys, and
should be able to order Ste's any day now. My Dealer is waiting to have
atari to send the stacys out when they send the STe's. )
Apparently the Stacy will be of a type that Bob is showing..
(Bob came here to Grand Rapids MI February 19th with all the toys... Stacy,
  Ste, and a lynx. )
4 Meg with a 40 Meg drive $2880. All Stacys will come with soldered in chips
and no room to expand to anything bigger so the 2 meg and 1 meg versions if
ever sold will NOT be expandable and atari will probly shrink the case or
something to use the extra space. Since they are non-expandable atari figures
no one will want an unexpandable 1 or 2 meg portable.
(Write to atari if you want this policy changed.)
Also, the production model will NOT have support for batteries...
However there will be an interface to hook a battery pack to. Apparently there
is a third party working on a battery pack that will last about 4 hours or
more and will bolt onto the Stacy.
That was the Policy atari had decided on at the time Bob Brodie was here.
But anyone who likes an ST with a Mono screen will love the Stacy, It had
a fast screen and looked really nice. If I could afford it and if I needed it
I would buy one, But I already have 2 St's and plannin on an STe along with..

(Luckily I run a bbs and am working on making a name for myself soon in the
 atari world. Now if I ever get my darned developer docs I paid for in
January... I Call weekly to Gail Johnson and have yet to get anything.
Although I AM a registered developer and can get anything else I want...
In other words, wait until the new docs have been sent out before you pay for
becomming a developer)

ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) (03/25/90)

Yet another full page STacy ad in this month's
EM (Electronic Musician) rag... along with several mentions
of the TT..  (I laughed too!!)

There is something blatantly ridiculous in the photograph
of the STacy running NOTATOR.

I asked my wife: "What is wrong with this picture?"
ANS: "It is black [ intoning the case was ugly ]"
To which i responded: " Look again "
*immediate* ANS: "Well, the notes look ridiculous..."

Seems like *** 9 *** ledger lines below the treble cleff
might be a bit much.... ;-) I guess the "stylist" at
ATARI just wasn't up to hitting the "S" key that day....
Then again, why advertize something you know about....
that wouldn't make any sense ..

Of course, a musician who doesn't read music won't know the
difference.. maybe this is the market for which ATARI
is demonstrating NOTATION sofware ..interesting marketing idea...
a little backward maybe ;-)

ACTUALLY... ridiculous blunders like this make a big difference...
Chip, chip and chipped away!

-kevin
ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu

BTW: aside from the unjustifiable notation absurdity,
     the advertizement is of EXCELLENT quality.. one that
     really catches your attention... ;-)

robing@galadriel.bt.co.uk (Robin Gape) (03/28/90)

From article <6382@blake.acs.washington.edu>, by ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj):
> Yet another full page STacy ad in this month's
> EM (Electronic Musician) rag... along with several mentions
> of the TT..  (I laughed too!!)

[stuff about 9 note stave (!) deleted with much merriment]

> -kevin
> ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu
>
> BTW: aside from the unjustifiable notation absurdity,
>      the advertizement is of EXCELLENT quality.. one that
>      really catches your attention... ;-)

I rang the (possibly, or possibly not) sole retail source of Stacys in
the UK yesterday: first shipment of machines sold out, next batch due in
May, estimated.

ho hum

Robin
robing@uk.co.bt.galadriel

scoile@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Steve Coile) (09/10/90)

   What's the latest news on the STacy front?  Is Atari still making
it?  If so, how much is it running now-a-days???  Is it worth buying, or
is getting a full-fledged ST still a better deal???

   On a related note, with there be a TT version of STacy??

-Steve Coile
   SCOILE@GMUVAX.GMU.EDU
                .BITNET

ekrimen@csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (09/11/90)

-   What's the latest news on the STacy front?  Is Atari still making
- it?

What do you mean, "Is Atari still making [them]?"  Of course, Atari
is still making them.  They've only been out a couple of months.  The
first versions, the 4-meg RAM/40-meg HD, have been out for few
months, and the Stacy 1 and 2 are starting to trickle in.  The Stacy
1, if I remember correcty, has 1-meg RAM and a 20-meg HD.  I think
the Stacy 2 has 2-meg RAM and a 40-meg HD.  There are four versions of
the Stacy, so I'd say the fourth comes in as a 2-meg RAM, 20-meg HD
Stacy 2, or maybe even a HD-less Stacy 1.  Dunno.

Does anyone know if it's passed FCC Class B?

- If so, how much is it running now-a-days???  Is it worth buying, or
- is getting a full-fledged ST still a better deal???

For the Stacy 4, my dealer sells it for $2500.  For the Stacy 1 with
20meg HD, it's $1500.

I don't know if it's worth buying.  What are you going to use it for?
I dream of having one in class to take notes.  When it gets boring, I
could bring up Reversi, or even Bolo!

I'd say, if you're not going to be moving it around much, get a
full-fledged ST.

- On a related note, with there be a TT version of STacy??

I haven't heard anything.  What I *have* heard is that Atari does
seem to be focusing on the miniturization of the computer.  Rumor has
it that there is supposed to be a Portfolio-sized ST comimg around
sometime.  My guess is that the Portfolio, Lynx, and Stacy are all
preliminary versions of the technology to see how the mini-ST could
work, even though the Lynx and the Portfolio were developed by Epyx
and DIP respectively.  This is similar to my theory :^) that the
1040ST, 1040STh (1040 with hard drive), and 1040STfm are all
evolutionary machines which led up to the Stacy.

mfolivo@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US (Mark Newton-John) (09/12/90)

In article <2234@gmuvax2.gmu.edu>, scoile@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Steve Coile) writes:

>    What's the latest news on the STacy front?  Is Atari still making
> it?  If so, how much is it running now-a-days???  Is it worth buying, or
> is getting a full-fledged ST still a better deal???
>
>    On a related note, with there be a TT version of STacy??
>
> -Steve Coile
>    SCOILE@GMUVAX.GMU.EDU
>                 .BITNET

The Stacy is available. Primarily through a music store to be used
as a portable MIDI controller, here are two dealers that I know who
have them.

B&C Computervisions, Santa Clara, CA
Computer Wherehouse, Carmichael, CA (Sacramento)

Email, or post a followup if anyone needs addresses, phone numbers
or someone to contact.

Unless you really need a portable over a desktop, I prefer the Mega
4 over the Stacy. A real monitor is preferable to a LCD screen
(yes, I know you can connect a monitor to it at the same time) and
I prefer a mouse to the trakball.

A TT version? Gee, do you really **NEED** a portable TT? I don't
need the Stacy, my portable computing (mainly writing) is done on
my Portfolio. Sure, a portable Unix box would be nice, but I don't
want to lug around a laptop, no matter how powerful it is. I do
like the Stacy, but it is a bit pricey...

--
the good guys!               Sakura-mendo, CA

      Internet:  mfolivo@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US

suhonen@tukki.jyu.fi (Timo Suhonen) (11/09/90)

In article <7340022@hpfcso.HP.COM> rrd@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ray Depew) writes:

   >  and can you
   > configure it so that it will have enough memory to run Multifinder, or
   > Think C in debug mode. This is about 2.5 Meg of Macintosh main memory
   > RAM.

   I can't answer this one.  Somebody else?

Yeah, you can buy the thing with 4 meg RAM, enough??  Well, at least here in
Finland you can get it... dunno 'bout US of A.

--
Timo Suhonen       I am logged in, therefore I am       suhonen@funic.funet.fi
                                                          suhonen@kunto.jyu.fi

mjv@brownvm.brown.edu (Marshall Vale) (11/10/90)

In article <SUHONEN.90Nov9081358@tukki.jyu.fi> suhonen@tukki.jyu.fi (Timo
Suhonen) writes:
> In article <7340022@hpfcso.HP.COM> rrd@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ray Depew) writes:
> >    >  and can you
>    > configure it so that it will have enough memory to run Multifinder,
or
>    > Think C in debug mode. This is about 2.5 Meg of Macintosh main
memory
>    > RAM.
> >    I can't answer this one.  Somebody else?
> > Yeah, you can buy the thing with 4 meg RAM, enough??  Well, at least
here in
> Finland you can get it... dunno 'bout US of A.
> > --
> Timo Suhonen       I am logged in, therefore I am
suhonen@funic.funet.fi

 Oops, a little late in the conversation but I think I have an answer.
On my Mega4 w/Spectre I get 3800K of available Mac memory. I have a few
inits with the largest being Adobe Type Manager. After ATM and MultiFinder
loads, I'm left with about 2800K of Finder memory. So if all you need
is 2500k for Think C and debugger then it should work (whether the
debugger works, I don't know but could find out)

 And yes, 4meg STacy's are available in the US. Go to your local, *ehem*
regional dealer.

Marshall

-> Internet: mjv@brownvm.brown.edu
"He had found the perfect TV mix, on Marvin's Hour of Power.
 (The show that put the FUN back into fundamentalist)."
   -- Neil Gaiman; Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Propecies of
     Agnes Nutter, Witch

schultzd@kira.uucp (David Schultz) (02/18/91)

I would like some info about STacy computers.  PRICE, AVAILABLILITY,
comments!

Also, is there a way to save default configurations in MicroSoft
WRITE?  (Like Margins, page size, etc)?

--
  |||			   David W. Schultz			   |||
  |||		uunet[!rutgers!mailrus]!frith!schultzd		   |||

scale@abode.wciu.edu (Luis Outumuro) (02/18/91)

	Hi David,
		Atari Stacy models are available at Authorized Atari Music
Stores and Authorized Atari Business Computer Centers now.  The retail list
pricing is as follows (street pricing may vary):

 LST1124 Stacy 1 (1m RAM, 20m HD)	$ 1999.95
 LST2124 Stacy 2 (2m RAM, 20m HD)	$ 2499.95
 LST4144 Stacy 4 (4m RAM, 40m HD)	$ 2899.95

	I hope this information helps.  They should be available from your
local dealer, if not call Atari at 408/745-2000.  Bye........

Luis Mark Outumuro III                |  "Well... you're damned if you do,
Computer Office Products 818/813-1051 |   and you're damned if you don't!"
Infoline                 818/813-1053 |         - Bart Simpson, 1990...