[comp.sys.atari.st] Modula 2

JJL101@PSUVM.BITNET (Taz) (09/11/89)

    Just a general question before I begin downloading the Modula-2
compiler...is there any English doc's to it... I know Pascal well, and some
Modula-2 experience but not a lot....is it worthwhile for me to get this
program?

   Thanks in advance,
-------
*   J.J. Lehett              Bitnet address:   JJL101@PSUVM.bitnet *
*                                   or         JJL@ECL.PSU.EDU     *
*     a.k.a. Taz                               JJL@PSUECL.bitnet   *

klute%trillian.irb@unido.uucp (Rainer Klute) (09/11/89)

In article <89253.174616JJL101@PSUVM.BITNET> JJL101@PSUVM.BITNET (Taz) writes:

>    Just a general question before I begin downloading the Modula-2
>compiler...is there any English doc's to it... I know Pascal well, and some
>Modula-2 experience but not a lot....is it worthwhile for me to get this
>program?

Unfortunately the documentation is completly in German, sorry.
Perhaps someone does a translation to English? Until then try
with a dictionary.

  Rainer Klute           ----    klute@trillian.irb.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
  Univ. Dortmund, IRB    |)|/    klute@unido.uucp, klute@unido.bitnet
  Postfach 500500        |\|\    ...uunet!mcvax!unido!klute
D-4600 Dortmund 50       ----    Tel.: +49 231 7554663

glk01126@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (09/12/89)

	It's very standard.  I speak German, but didn't really
	ready the docs.  If you unzoo it correctly, everything
	is in it's place.  Just check out a modula-2 book
	from the library (what's that).  It is a very good
	system.  If you have any questions on the menu items
	just e-mail me the word, and I'll e-mail the
	translation.  Most are understandable if one has limited
	intelligence.  e.g. Kompilieren = Compile.

	-Spieu!
ZZ

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (09/12/89)

J.J. Lehett asks:
>    Just a general question before I begin downloading the Modula-2
>compiler...is there any English doc's to it... I know Pascal well, and some
>Modula-2 experience but not a lot....is it worthwhile for me to get this
>program?

No... the recent mailing of the new Version 1.4 of the German Modula 2
compiler actually doesn't contain any documentation about Modula.  You'll
need a good text book on the language.  There *is* a 30K "ReadMe" file,
but it (as well as the Copyright notice file) is in German.

The distribution looks VERY complete though, with some extensive libraries.
You'll need to use ZOO.TTP to uncompress the file after UUDECODing it,
and be sure to use the  X//  command to automatically create all the
sub-directoried on the destination disk.  Because of the size of the final
disk with all the folders and files, you'll need at least 2 DS drives, or
one DS drive and a RAMdisk to unZOO everything (if you've got a Hard Drive...
nevermind..!  :)

BobR

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (09/15/89)

Ok, I can't replace the read.me file or the resource file from the Modula 2
kit with translations.  I think I'm not even allowed to distribute English
translations on the same disk.  Would someone find out (and post) whether
there would be any objection to distributing a translation of read.me and
a resource file remarkably like the one for the Modula 2 kit (but in English)
separately?  Also, if one of the Atari ST-oriented magazines could be
induced to make the Modula 2  package freely available (not, for instance,
on a bound-in disk), would there be any objection to an article (or series)
that specifically referred to it?
                                     Steve J.

thamer@sioux.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mustafa Thamer) (09/29/89)

I've unzooed the German Modula2, and all the correct directories that it
requires, but whenever I execute m2load.prg, it kicks back out in a second.
Anyone know what the problem is.  I've got a 1040 and hard-drive.  Does it
require a ram-disk with some files in it?  What are the files copy.lst,
mk_copy.prg, and m2paths.txt?
	Any help would be appreciated ... Thanks, Mustafa Thamer

V053QHYX@UBVMSC.CC.BUFFALO.EDU (11/09/89)

Hi, I think I've finally realized how to post a message over the net!
If anyone reads this outside UB please respond.  Here's the problem:

I'm taking MOdula-2 in school, we use a compiler from a company called
Metcom on the macintosh.  Hateing the macintosh, I decided to D/L a PD
MODULA-2 from anasystems(actually its shareware)  After spending 5 days
trying to figure out why my program wasn't working I realized it was the
compiler that had problems with the OpenInput,OpenOutput statements.  Can
anyone suggest a Modula compiler either commercial or PD?  Does anyone know
anything about the TDI modula-2 compiler?
     Thanx alot,
       Jeremy Berger
       v053qhyx@UBVMSA

UI0T@DKAUNI2.BITNET ("Thomas Koenig") (11/10/89)

I know a pretty good Modula2 compiler in Germany. It is SPC-Modula
(current version V1.42). Included are a graphical shell, an editor,
several utilities (a filer, a printer, an online manual, a course in
Modula, ...), all of Wirth's standard modules, a post-mortem-
debugger, GEM libraries, a window system and a few things more.  The
produced code is not as fast as that of Turbo C, but fast
nonetheless.  The handbook and the online manual and language course
are in German, the (more important) module documentation in English.
As far as I know, the English documentation is being worked on. It is
a good product (I use it quite a lot).  Its main drawback is a
restriction of data type size to 32KBytes.  All in all, it is quite a
professional product. The price is about DM 400 (something like
US$ 220).  As far as I know, it is the official ATARI Modula in
Germany.

Selling this product is:

Advanced Applications Viczena GmbH
Sperlingsweg 19
D - 7500 Karlsruhe
F.R.G.
phone: +49 721 700912
fax  : +49 721 786572

I think they might be quite willing to sell their product to the
US or anywhere else.

Disclaimer : I don't work for them, I just happen to know the boss
personally.

Thomas  Koenig                   UI0T@DKAUNI2.BITNET
                                 UI0T%DKAUNI2.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
(soon: new address, old machine) UI0T@IBM3090.RZ.UNI-KARLSRUHE.DBP.DE
'Ich dachte nicht, ich untersuchte.'            Wilhelm Conrad Roentgen

glk01126@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (11/11/89)

	The PD compiler from ETH is available from 35.1.33.8
	or panarthea.  It is a port of Wirth's own compiler
	and is pretty standard.  It is free and contains
	a graphical shell, editor, debugger and all gem i/o
	including things like obfix etc.

	I could e-mail it if you don't have access to those sites...

	-Spieu!

fgbrooks@crash.cts.com (Fred Brooks) (11/12/89)

In article <111500055@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> glk01126@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>	The PD compiler from ETH is available from 35.1.33.8
>	or panarthea.  It is a port of Wirth's own compiler
>	and is pretty standard.  It is free and contains
>	a graphical shell, editor, debugger and all gem i/o
>	including things like obfix etc.
>
>	I could e-mail it if you don't have access to those sites...
>
>	-Spieu!

How do you get files from the panarthea archive site without FTP.

mboen@nixpbe.UUCP (Martin Boening) (11/13/89)

fgbrooks@crash.cts.com (Fred Brooks) writes:
>How do you get files from the panarthea archive site without FTP.

Panarthea is a MAIL server. Therefore you MAIL your requests. You might
start by mailing a message saying 'help' to
archive-server@panarthea.ebay.sun.com
(if that's still the valid adress).

Hope this clears things up

Martin
--
Email: in the   USA ->  ...!uunet!philabs!linus!nixbur!mboening.pad
       outside  USA ->  {...!mcvax}!unido!nixpbe!mboening.pad

V053QHYX@UBVMSC.CC.BUFFALO.EDU (11/15/89)

I just d/l'ed and unzood modula 2 from ftp terminator..its all in german?!
Can anyone translate it??I'll create a new resource file for it if I can find
smeone to translate it..I'm sure other users would like it also..!!
    Jeremy

piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) (11/17/89)

In article <8911150806.AA02970@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, V053QHYX@UBVMSC writes:
 `I just d/l'ed and unzood modula 2 from ftp terminator..its all in german?!
 `Can anyone translate it??I'll create a new resource file for it if I can find
 `smeone to translate it..I'm sure other users would like it also..!!

If you could read German, you would have noted that changing the resource
file is explicitly forbidden. At least it was in the first version (I will
look in the current).
I am afraid I'm too busy translating (well maybe I find some time while I'm
watching the News about the DDR (East Germany)).
--
Piet* van Oostrum, Dept of Computer Science, University of Utrecht
Padualaan 14, P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht,  The Netherlands.

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (11/18/89)

 piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum)

In article <8911150806.AA02970@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, V053QHYX@UBVMSC writes:
 `I just d/l'ed and unzood modula 2 from ftp terminator..its all in german?!
 `Can anyone translate it??I'll create a new resource file for it if I can find
 `smeone to translate it..I'm sure other users would like it also..!!

If you could read German, you would have noted that changing the resource
file is explicitly forbidden. At least it was in the first version (I will
look in the current).
--
Piet* van Oostrum, Dept of Computer Science, University of Utrecht

Sorry about the odd way of quoting. I'm learning a different newsreader, but
anyway, this is now saj speaking.
    I interpreted the notice the same way as Piet did.  I said something about
it to a native German friend, who couldn't understand what I was talking
about.  He re-read it, and said that he could see why I read it that way, but
what it meant was that the authors of the compiler were absolutely not going
to provide translations of the documentation or the resource.  Of course
he's a pretty cheerful fellow by nature, but unless another German says
otherwise, I think what we have here is an idiom.
                               Steve J.

AMEIJ@vax.oxford.ac.UK (Jan Ameij) (11/21/89)

Hello mateys!

A while back I did a translation of the Modula 2 docs from German to English.
I'll happily send it to anyone who wants, but if there are a lot of copies,
I stick it on the newsletter.

Sorry in advance to those who don't want it, but, After all, it can't be more
boring than some of the self indulgent childish whingeing we've had to put up
with recently.

Oh and by the way, the translation is in LaTeX.

Jan Ameij
Oxford University Department of Applied Metaphysics

piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) (11/24/89)

In article <1989Nov18.042147.3225@chinet.chi.il.us>, saj@chinet (Stephen Jacobs) writes:
 `
[...]

Well, I can't read it in any other way. But remember I'm not German.
Here is my translation:

Das Modula-2-System darf unter folgenden Voraussetzungen zur
nicht-kommerziellen Nutzung kopiert werden :

The Modula-2 system may be copied for non-commercial use under the
following conditions:

  * Die Weitergabe erfolgt ausdruecklich zur nichtkommerziellen
    Nutzung und kostenlos.

The distribution finds place expressly for non-commecial use and without
costs.

  * Inhalt und Aufteilung der Diskette entsprechen genau der vom
    LPR fuer diesen Zweck bereitgestellten Originaldiskette.

Contents and structure of the disk correspond exactly with the
original disk provided by the LPR (Chair for process computers).

  * Es duerfen gegenueber der Originaldiskette weder zusaetzliche
    Dateien enthalten sein noch Dateien fehlen.

With respect to the original disk, there should be no additional files,
nor missing files,

  * Es duerfen keine Dateien veraendert werden. Dies gilt vor allem
    auch fuer die Resource-Dateien und alle Copyright-Vermerke.

It is not allowed to change files. This applies before all also for the
resource files and all copyright marks.

  * Es wird ausdruecklich auf diese Bedingungen hingewiesen, und
    sie muessen als Datei "COPYRIGH.T" auf jeder Diskette
    enthalten sein oder als Fotokopie mitgegeben werden.

There must be an explicit reminder of these conditions, and these must
be available as file "COPYRIGH.T" on each disk or provided as photocopy.

More follows about the non-availability of support and warranty

Although this translation has gone through a layer of Dutch, I still
think it is a faithful one. Note that some of the conditions imply others.
--

buggs@cup.portal.com (William Edward JuneJr) (11/24/89)

>A while back I did a translation of the Modula 2 docs from German to
>English. I'll happily send it to anyone who wants, but if there are a lot
>of copies, I stick it on the newsletter.

I DEFINATELY WANT ONE! *8^)

>Oh and by the way, the translation is in LaTeX.

Bummer, I've tried to get that workin', but couldn't.

Ed June

bartho@obs.unige.ch (PAUL BARTHOLDI) (11/27/89)

In article <24423@cup.portal.com>, buggs@cup.portal.com (William Edward JuneJr) writes:
>>A while back I did a translation of the Modula 2 docs from German to
>>English. I'll happily send it to anyone who wants, but if there are a lot
>>of copies, I stick it on the newsletter.
>
> I DEFINATELY WANT ONE! *8^)
Me too !      Thanks, Paul
     |  Dr Paul Bartholdi             bartho@cgeuge54.bitnet        |
     |  Observatoire de Geneve        bartho@obs.unige.ch           |
     |  51, chemin des Maillettes     02284682161350::bartho (psi)  |
     |  CH-1290 Sauverny              20579::ugobs::bartho          |
     |  Switzerland                   +41 22 755 39 83       (fax)  |
     |                                +41 22 755 26 11       (tel)  |
     |  no access to ftp !            +45 419 209 obsg ch  (telex)  |

Ritzert@DMZRZU71.BITNET (11/30/89)

> Although this translation has gone through a layer of Dutch, I still
> think it is a faithful one. Note that some of the conditions imply others.

Yes indeed, it is faithful. And translated precisely.

Michael Ritzert
mjr@dmzrzu71.bitnet

mike@system.Cambridge.NCR.COM (mike reiss) (12/01/89)

In article <449@obs.unige.ch> bartho@obs.unige.ch (PAUL BARTHOLDI) writes:
>In article <24423@cup.portal.com>, buggs@cup.portal.com (William Edward JuneJr) writes:
>>>A while back I did a translation of the Modula 2 docs from German to
>>>English. I'll happily send it to anyone who wants, but if there are a lot
>>>of copies, I stick it on the newsletter.
>>
>> I DEFINATELY WANT ONE! *8^)
>Me too !      Thanks, Paul

I would think tha there is a lot of interest here.

I would like a copy.

mike

P.S.  I tried to send mail to the person who did this conversion (William),
but the message bounced.  I think this may have happened to others who
answered this request.

v053qhyx@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (Jeremy A Berger) (02/19/91)

Hi,

I'm hoping you guys can help me out.. I'm trying to either locate
a shareware/PD modula 2 compiler, or a company that is still in business
that sells modula 2 for the ST..   Any help would be appreciated..also
how well does spectre GCR work? I have the mac roms and have been debating
buying a GCR..How much does it cost..etc??I'm suppposed to be using modula
II on the mac, will it work under GCR???
     Jeremy