[comp.sys.atari.st] QuickST/TurboST revisited

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (02/12/91)

Quick ST 2.2 came in the mail today (Thanks Frank!).  I had heard it
was faster than Turbo ST 1.8 which I have, so I wanted to give it a
try.  If this is old news, please forgive me.

Before I rebooted my machine to install Quick ST, I checked the
benchmarks for TurboST 1.8 with Quick Index 1.8.  I got the following
for the monochrome desk accessory version (with TOS 1.6 blitter on and
tons of stuff in the AUTO folder and DAs):

  TOS Text:  299%
TOS String: 1257%
TOS Scroll:  103%
GEM Dialog:  233%

So I rebooted with QuickST monochrome version and got:

Loaded 4th or 5th in AUTO folder
--------------------------------
  TOS Text: 195%
TOS String: 670%
TOS Scroll: 101%
GEM Dialog: 224%

Loaded last in AUTO folder
---------------------------
  TOS Text: 255%
TOS String: 675%
TOS Scroll: 101%
GEM Dialog: 248%

I was quite perplexed.  Where was the overwhelming speed increase?  I
wondered if it was just one program slowing it down or what.  One by
one, I removed the TSRs and desk accessories and ran Quick Index each
time to find out that it was the accumulation of all of them, not just
one which slowed it down.  With all of the stuff removed (the ICD
booter doesn't make a difference), I got this from QuickST and Quick

  TOS Text:  303%
TOS String: 1241%
TOS Scroll:  103%
GEM Dialog:  264%

Therefore, QuickST HATES having stuff installed.  Pity.

Just to be fair, I loaded the AUTO folder version of Turbo ST and
here are the results:

with nothing else loaded
------------------------
  TOS Text:  302%
TOS String: 1282%
TOS Scroll:  105%
GEM Dialog:  244%

with all my usual stuff loaded
------------------------------
  TOS Text:  228%
TOS String: 1225%
TOS Scroll:  103%
GEM Dialog:  227%

For those interested, I loaded both QuickST and TurboST (DA version)
and I got:

  TOS Text:  296%
TOS String: 1257%
TOS Scroll:  103%
GEM Dialog:  236%

What was quite interesting was how QuickST blew TurboST away in the
BMVGTEFF benchmark.  This one tests normal, bold, italic, light or
grayed, and underlined.  The smaller figures are best.

TurboST had 67, 67, 274, 611, and 241.
QuickST had 48, 67,  58,  95, and  48.

I don't use bold, italic, light, and underlined stuff often, so this
isn't real beneficial for me.  But QuickST really blew TST away in
this one!

Finally, here's what I have installed:

 SUPERBT.PRG       STENO.ACC
PINHED18.PRG     STALKER.ACC
POOLFIX4.PRG    TRBOMONO.ACC
CONS_FIX.PRG      MYBUSY.ACC
 NEOLOAD.PRG     MOUSE28.ACC
FONTLOAD.PRG    CALL_UIS.ACC
 TIMESET.PRG
TRBO_RES.PRG
   SKULL.PRG
 WATCHER.PRG
 NEWBELL.PRG
 AUXINIT.PRG
FORMDIAL.PRG
BLUDTEST.PRG
 MACCEL3.PRG
 UIS_III.PRG
QUICKSTM.PRG

I'm surprised that QuickST didn't fair that well.  Let's just hope
that QuickST III is good and that the upgrade fee isn't outrageous. :^)

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

tar@naucse.cse.nau.edu (Tim Roeder) (02/12/91)

In article <1991Feb12.052028.26501@ecst.csuchico.edu>, ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) writes:
> Before I rebooted my machine to install Quick ST, I checked the
> benchmarks for TurboST 1.8 with Quick Index 1.8.  I got the following
> for the monochrome desk accessory version (with TOS 1.6 blitter on and
> tons of stuff in the AUTO folder and DAs):

[various benchmark stat's deleted]

> Therefore, QuickST HATES having stuff installed.  Pity.

[more stuff deleted]

> Finally, here's what I have installed:

[more delted to make my news poster happy :-( ]

> CONS_FIX.PRG      MYBUSY.ACC
>  NEOLOAD.PRG     MOUSE28.ACC
> FONTLOAD.PRG    CALL_UIS.ACC
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^
  Here's the culprit, Ed.  When using QuickST, I discovered (after
having received my NeoDesk 3 upgrade) that certain screen operations
seemed to be slower than before.  After some experimentation I
discovered that it is the alternate Font program that causes the major
slowdown (especially in the Text Scroll benchmark.)

Not having TurboST 1.8, I did not discover that it handles the alternate
fonts better than QuickST.  Hmm...

On a personal note:  Gee, and I thought that I had a lot of AUTO folder
programs! ;-)

> I'm surprised that QuickST didn't fair that well.  Let's just hope
> that QuickST III is good and that the upgrade fee isn't outrageous. :^)

My sentiments exactly.  Did you receive the Branch Always newsletter?

>          Ed Krimen  ...............................................

Regards,
--
Timothy A. Roeder                            UUCP:     ...!arizona!naucse!tar
3551 S. San Joaquin Rd.                      Internet: tar@naucse.cse.nau.edu

erkamp@arc.ab.ca (Bob Erkamp) (02/13/91)

In article <1991Feb12.052028.26501@ecst.csuchico.edu> ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) writes:
>Quick ST 2.2 came in the mail today (Thanks Frank!).  I had heard it
>was faster than Turbo ST 1.8 which I have, so I wanted to give it a
>try.  If this is old news, please forgive me.

 [stuff deleted]

>I'm surprised that QuickST didn't fair that well.  Let's just hope
>that QuickST III is good and that the upgrade fee isn't outrageous. :^)

I just got Branch Always' newsletter and the upgrade to QuickST 3.0 will be
$15. It's supposed to be availble in June. I think the big change is they will
have different loadable drivers depending on your hardware configuration
(Blitter, TOS version, etc.). Also a new version of Quick Tools coming out.

Bob

depeche@cs.mcgill.ca (Acme Instant Dehydrated Boulder Kit) (02/13/91)

In article <1991Feb12.052028.26501@ecst.csuchico.edu> ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) writes:

>So I rebooted with QuickST monochrome version and got:
>
>Loaded 4th or 5th in AUTO folder
>--------------------------------
>  TOS Text: 195%
>TOS String: 670%
>TOS Scroll: 101%
>GEM Dialog: 224%
>

>Loaded last in AUTO folder
>---------------------------
>  TOS Text: 255%
>TOS String: 675%
>TOS Scroll: 101%
>GEM Dialog: 248%
>

>I was quite perplexed.  Where was the overwhelming speed increase?  I
>wondered if it was just one program slowing it down or what.  One by
>one, I removed the TSRs and desk accessories and ran Quick Index each
>time to find out that it was the accumulation of all of them, not just
>one which slowed it down.  With all of the stuff removed (the ICD
>booter doesn't make a difference), I got this from QuickST and Quick
>
>  TOS Text:  303%
>TOS String: 1241%
>TOS Scroll:  103%
>GEM Dialog:  264%
>
>Therefore, QuickST HATES having stuff installed.  Pity.

But by removing each program, when did you notice the jump in the TOS
String field? The reason I ask is because when I have all my stuff loaded,
this is the kind of performance I get with QSTII (tos 1.4, monochrome,
no blitter)

  TOS Text:  259
TOS String: 1255
TOS Scroll:  131
GEM Dialog:  233

here is a list of my auto folder programs (granted, you got a hell of a lot
more, and I don't even know what a third of them are, but anyway...)

deskmg31	folder075
pinhed18	cache256
poolfix4	maccel3
eternal		unix2dos
supclkrd	quickstc
lgselect	quickstm
		neoload

--
|Sam Alan Ezust					McGill University	    |
|depeche@cs.mcgill.ca				School of Computer Science  |

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (02/13/91)

Comment-To: depeche@cs.mcgill.ca

In article <1991Feb12.163929.360@cs.mcgill.ca> depeche@cs.mcgill.ca (Acme Instant Dehydrated Boulder Kit) writes:
> In article <1991Feb12.052028.26501@ecst.csuchico.edu> ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) writes:

> here is a list of my auto folder programs (granted, you got a hell of a lot
> more, and I don't even know what a third of them are, but anyway...)
>
> deskmg31	folder075
> pinhed18	cache256
> poolfix4	maccel3
> eternal		unix2dos
> supclkrd	quickstc
> lgselect	quickstm
> 		neoload
>
> |Sam Alan Ezust					McGill University	    |
> |depeche@cs.mcgill.ca				School of Computer Science  |
> |---------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Tell me why you have cache, folderfix, you state that you are using TOS
1.4 and the ICD booter, well Folderfix is not realy needed with TOS 1.4

TOS 1.4 will give you a warning if it runs out of memory, also the ICD
booter has its own built in cache, I have also fould maccel3 very
buggy, this was reported on Genie, for some resone would stuff up my DCshow
There should also be the TOS 1.4 Fix and go have a look at UIS III, I could
not live with out it, also deskmanager33 now has a batch mode, very nice, but
its a pitty it does not have some of the nicer features of SuperBoot 6.0,
have you tried this, but I do prefer deskmanager33...

--
Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (02/14/91)

tar@naucse.cse.nau.edu (Tim Roeder) writes:

- > CONS_FIX.PRG      MYBUSY.ACC
- >  NEOLOAD.PRG     MOUSE28.ACC
- > FONTLOAD.PRG    CALL_UIS.ACC
-   ^^^^^^^^^^^^
-   Here's the culprit, Ed.  When using QuickST, I discovered (after
- having received my NeoDesk 3 upgrade) that certain screen operations
- seemed to be slower than before.  After some experimentation I
- discovered that it is the alternate Font program that causes the major
- slowdown (especially in the Text Scroll benchmark.)

Yes, I did notice that FONTLOAD did slow things down a lot, but a lot
of the others also accumulated to the slowdown.

- Not having TurboST 1.8, I did not discover that it handles the
- alternate fonts better than QuickST.  Hmm...

I tested TurboST with nothing installed and got 303, 1291, 105, and
245 for the respective categories.  Overall, TurboST seems to do a
better job than QuickST, with STuff installed or STuff not installed.

- On a personal note:  Gee, and I thought that I had a lot of AUTO
- folder programs! ;-)

Yeah, I do have quite a few, don't I? :^)  Well, who likes that
boring green desktop anyway.  (BTW, what's the default color of the
MegaSTe/TT's desktop?)  I'd have more stuff installed, like the
DIGISTUF files, but they don't run on the STe. :^(

- > I'm surprised that QuickST didn't fair that well.  Let's just hope
- > that QuickST III is good and that the upgrade fee isn't outrageous. :^)
-
- My sentiments exactly.  Did you receive the Branch Always newsletter?

I did, in fact, receive it, even before I got QuickST.  I didn't read
it carefully.  As someone pointed out, the upgrade fee is $15.

--

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz writes:

- I have also fould maccel3 very buggy, this was reported on Genie,

What have you found or those GEnie reported to be the problem with
Maccel3? I've had it since it was first released and haven't had a
problem with it at all.
--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (02/17/91)

Distribution:world

In article <1991Feb14.013409.10624@ecst.csuchico.edu> ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) writes:
> Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz writes:
>
> - I have also fould maccel3 very buggy, this was reported on Genie,
>
> What have you found or those GEnie reported to be the problem with
> Maccel3? I've had it since it was first released and haven't had a
> problem with it at all.
> --
>          Ed Krimen  ...............................................

THis was in some messages that I was reading, I not to sure if I still
have them saved, as I have lost my 'C' root directory of my hard disk
, because of a STE, DMA problem.
But I was having problems with DCshow, it would stop it running, gave
TOS error 35, if I remember, has not had any problems since Ive set it off
ie. PRX.
On another Note; is there a Utill that I can use to Read sectors on my
Hard Disk, and edite them with a insert mode, all my root directory
names have been moved 2 bytes to the left.
I don't like the idea of retyping over 3000 bytes, so to be abell to
read in the sector and shift the data right by 2 bytes will fix up the damaged
directories..Thanks...
--
Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...

Alex.Valdez@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (02/17/91)

In article <1991Feb14.013409.10624@ecst.csuchico.edu> ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) writes:
> Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz writes:
>
> - I have also fould maccel3 very buggy, this was reported on Genie,
>
> What have you found or those GEnie reported to be the problem with
> Maccel3? I've had it since it was first released and haven't had a
> problem with it at all.
> --
>          Ed Krimen  ...............................................
MACCELL itself is not buggy but interacts with some programs
strangely. (e.g. WordPerfect, as reported in Genie.) The only bug I
have ever seen was with MACCELL2 and it's "watch modem" feature -
never could get it to work.

--
Alex Valdez

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (02/19/91)

Alex.Valdez@bbs.actrix.gen.nz writes:

- MACCELL itself is not buggy but interacts with some programs
- strangely. (e.g. WordPerfect, as reported in Genie.)

Apparently this has even been fixed in the latest version of Word
Perfect.