[comp.sys.atari.st] PC-Ditto

MCOHAN@UMASS.BITNET.UUCP (07/12/87)

I got PC Ditto into my store last week.  We ran Lotus 1-2-3,
Turbo Pascal, Sidekick, GEM :-} , Word Perfect, and a couple
of other things on it.  The good news is, they all worked
perfectly.  No problems.  The bad news is, it's pretty slow,
especially when doing graphics.  But, it WORKS.  So it's slow,
for $89.95, it's a pretty decent clone in my view.

Michael Cohan
   The Computer Bug, Inc.
   The Hampshire Mall
   Hadley, MA 01035    phone (413) 584-7722
   "Authorized Atari Sales & Service"
"Are you questioning my shredding ability?"  -- Oliver North

L9D@PSUVMA.BITNET (11/11/87)

Does anyone know how to get PC-ditto to work with a monochrome monitor?  I've
read that a lot of other people are having problems with using monochrome,
and I am wondering if a fix has been made yet?

                                    Sincerely,
                                             Matt Day

schuster@dasys1.UUCP (Michael Schuster) (11/14/87)

In article <24821L9D@PSUVMA> L9D@PSUVMA.BITNET writes:
>Does anyone know how to get PC-ditto to work with a monochrome monitor?  I've
>read that a lot of other people are having problems with using monochrome,
>and I am wondering if a fix has been made yet?

The current version works only with a color monitor as the packaging states.
There is a zap to 'turn on' the screen in a monochrome system but it is
NOT a fix and the resulting screen is barely readable.

Version 3.0 is at the duplicating house. It features mono support, Microsoft
mouse emulation, TOS time/date transfer, bug fixes, etc.
To get it -- SEND IN YOUR REGISTRATION CARD.

--
l\  /l'   _  Mike Schuster          {sun!hoptoad,cmcl2!phri}!dasys1!schuster
l \/ lll/(_  Big Electric Cat       schuster@dasys1.UUCP

HAHN_K@DMRHRZ11.BITNET.UUCP (12/04/87)

Date: 4 December 1987, 08:26:30 CET
From: HAHN_K   at DMRHRZ11
To:   INFO-ATARI16 at SCORE

Could someone mail me the address of a decent dealer who is able/willing
to sell PC-Ditto and to send it to West-Germany? Of course I would
snailmail my order and pay via MasterCard. BTW, what are the latest
prices for the monochrome-version?
Thanks,
Klaus.

Klaus Hahn
Marburg, West-Germany

Bitnet: HAHN_K@DMRHRZ11
Bix:    K_HAHN

bev2@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Law) (03/19/88)

Please help.  One of the reasons we bought pc-ditto (and a 5-1/4" drive)
was to play some of the IBM games we already own such as Kings Quest I and
the Hobbit.  The Hobbit is advertised by pc-ditto as being one of the
games you can play on the ST.  It is a game where you boot the computer
with the disk in the drive.  (Not a DOS disk).  Well, we have not been
able to figure out how to do this using pc-ditto.  Has anyone solved
this problem and would you care to share the solution with us?

Thanks in advance to everyone who helps!

Bev Law
ihlpg!bev2

patrick@hpmcaa.HP.COM (Patrick Hawke) (01/26/89)

For Sale:

       PC-DITTO Ver. 3.01
       ST Monochrome Support

Complete Disk, Owners Guide, Keyboard Template, and Binder

       $28 - (P&H included, In U.S.)

I used it for Lotus 1-2-3 It worked great!
Now I have a Portable PC and Don't need PC-DITTO.

Patrick Hawke
(503) 434-5122
McMinnville, OR

lmna_cif@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Louis Nau) (01/26/89)

	Patrick,
	   If that PC-DITTO that you're selling can support a color monitor
	(that's all I have),then I'm really interested.  Sorry I had to post
	 a response, but the mail I sent bounced no matter how I tried to
	 send it.  Please mail me back a response.
						Thanks,
						Louis M. Nau
					lmna_cif@uhura.cc.rochester.edu

hcj@lzaz.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (01/26/89)

In article <707@ur-cc.UUCP>, lmna_cif@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Louis Nau) writes:

> 	Patrick,
> 	   If that PC-DITTO that you're selling can support a color monitor
> 	(that's all I have),then I'm really interested.  Sorry I had to post
> 	 a response, but the mail I sent bounced no matter how I tried to
> 	 send it.  Please mail me back a response.
> 						Thanks,
> 						Louis M. Nau
> 					lmna_cif@uhura.cc.rochester.edu

I have PC-DITTO.  It runs in both color and mono.

Howard Johnson
ATT-BL
lzaz!hcj

patrick@hpmcaa.HP.COM (Patrick Hawke) (01/27/89)

RE: PC-DITTO

Thanks to all that responded!
PC-DITTO has been sold.  I didn't think that there would
be that much interest in it?  I am also parting with
DR. T's Copyist V1.3, No, It is not the latest version
but it does work.  I selling several items (see pdx.forsale,
or.forsale, misc.forsale).

Thanks Again to all who called, responded, mailed, .....

PS. DR. T's Copyist - $65

Patrick J. Hawke
McMinnville, OR
(503) 434-5122

sslee@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Steven Lee) (10/01/89)

I have a friend who installed TOS 1.4 in his system and tried to run
PC-Ditto (software version).  It responded with "can't run on non-US
machine."  Does anyone know if Avant Garde released a fix for this?

Steven Lee

fly@walt.cc.utexas.edu (neil aggarwal) (10/08/90)

I am looking for someone who has Pc-Ditto (the software emulator that
emulates an IBM Pc.)  If anyone has this, please e-mail me.  I would like to
talk with you about it.  Thanks in advance.

isodonovan@npe.isnet.inmos.co.uk (10/29/90)

This may well be a silly question based on false assumptions, but here goes...

A friend of mine has recently bought the PC-Ditto software.  He had some
trouble obtaining it and has since been led to believe that the producers
have gone bust.

My questions are:

  (1) Is it true?

  (2) If so, what does this mean for anyone else wanting to buy PC-Ditto
      - if there is no one to buy it from does the software slide into
      the Public Domain? - or does it simply cease to be available? - or ??

And sort-of related:

  (3) Is there a PD PC emulator?  (PD-Ditto???)

If it makes any difference, we're in the UK.

Thanks to anyone who can shed any light.

  -- Brian
--
o---------------o-------------------------------------------------------------o
:    # # # #    : Brian O'Donovan - I.T., Inmos, Newport, Wales, UK, NP9 1YJ. :

In article <118.272c101f@npe.isnet.inmos.co.uk> isodonovan@npe.isnet.inmos.co.uk writes:
>A friend of mine has recently bought the PC-Ditto software.  He had some
>trouble obtaining it and has since been led to believe that the producers
>have gone bust.

>My questions are:

>  (1) Is it true?

Last we heard, yep, Avant-Garde has gone away.

>  (2) If so, what does this mean for anyone else wanting to buy PC-Ditto
>      - if there is no one to buy it from does the software slide into
>      the Public Domain? - or does it simply cease to be available? - or ??

Copyrights last something like 27 years. Of course, the cynics among you will
point out that since the company has vanished, there's no one around who will
prosecute you for violating their rights. I think in the case of PC-Dittio it
will simply cease to be available.

>And sort-of related:

>  (3) Is there a PD PC emulator?  (PD-Ditto???)

Probably not. I have written an 8086 simulator, but you need a lot more than
that to emulate a PC. (You also need a lot more speed to make it worthwhile...)
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan

Mac// - adv., q.v. MacToo, e.g.  McHave a McHappy McDay!
		McThanks, McYou MacToo!

rgoseweh@digi.lonestar.org (Roy Gosewehr) (02/15/91)

(I apologize if this is truly a re-post.  However, my original post did
not *appear* to be distributed.)

Does anyone know if PC-Ditto (the software emulator) works on the TT?
If so, does it appear as solid as on an ST?  Any idea what the Norton SI
rating is?

Thanks in advance,
Roy C. Gosewehr

iiitih@cybaswan.UUCP (Ivan Izikowitz) (02/18/91)

In article <1991Feb15.154244.25573@digi.lonestar.org> rgoseweh@digi.lonestar.org (Roy Gosewehr) writes:
>(I apologize if this is truly a re-post.  However, my original post did
>not *appear* to be distributed.)
>
>Does anyone know if PC-Ditto (the software emulator) works on the TT?
>If so, does it appear as solid as on an ST?  Any idea what the Norton SI
>rating is?

I had no idea that there was a purely software PC emulator for the ST. I
have an STe and would love such a facility - how much does it cost and
is it unbearably slow?

   Ivan Hoe

hojo@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (HC Johnson) (02/20/91)

In article <2303@cybaswan.UUCP>, iiitih@cybaswan.UUCP (Ivan Izikowitz) writes:
> In article <1991Feb15.154244.25573@digi.lonestar.org> rgoseweh@digi.lonestar.org (Roy Gosewehr) writes:
> >
> >Does anyone know if PC-Ditto (the software emulator) works on the TT?
>
> I had no idea that there was a purely software PC emulator for the ST. I
> have an STe and would love such a facility - how much does it cost and
> is it unbearably slow?
>
>    Ivan Hoe

PC Ditto I is SLOW.  But for < $79 its also cheap.
While the Norton rating was like 0.2, it works very well.

Three examples:

1. My wife took a course on using MultiMate.  She had no problem running
	it on PC-Ditto.  Data entry is no problem; the typing interface
	keeps up nicely.  However, she learned quickly to not use the spell
	checker -- its so cycle intensive it never finished a document before
	she gave up on it.

2. I hacked PC-Ditto to interface to the Atari CD-ROM.  I have no problem
	extracting files using the MS/DOS programs that are needed to
	do that.  Its not fast, but it works.

3. Several times I've run the Norton utilities to recover files that I had
	inadvertently removed under TOS.  Works great.

Unfortunately, the producer of PC-Ditto is out of business, but you may find
copies still for sale new.  And Used.

Howard Johnson
ATT BELL LABS
att!lzsc!hcj