[comp.sys.atari.st] looking for info on C compilers

vovut@prism.cs.orst.edu (02/13/91)

Hello, everyone...

    Which C compiler is the "best" in terms of support, speed (compared to say
    MWC), debugger capabilities, etc.?

    I am particularly interested in information about Prospero C, but any
    information will be appreciated.

    I noticed that some people have Turbo C for the ST.  Is Turbo C available
    in the US?

Thanks in advance...

vovut@prism.cs.orst.edu

gaudreau@juggler.East.Sun.COM (Joe Gaudreau - Sun BOS Software) (02/13/91)

vovut@prism.CS.ORST.EDU () writes:
>    I noticed that some people have Turbo C for the ST.  Is Turbo C available
>    in the US?

In the spirit that Commercial vendors aren't supposed to post ad's for
themselves BUT users can post hardy recommendations (and I haven't gotten
my commission check yet :-), here's an "Ad" for Turbo-C that people might
be interested in:

Joe
-=-

From the folks @ Gribnif:

Borland's Turbo C 2.0 for the Atari ST
--------------------------------------

    For those who don't know, Borland Germany has released a special
  version of their Turbo C compiler for the Atari ST.  The entire
  compiler and its error messages are in English, with the on-line
  help and documentation in German.  Currently there are no plans for
  a version with English documentation (though we keep asking).

    Some of the features of the package include:

    o Full K & R implementation with ANSI extensions.
    o Integrated GEM based editing and compiling environment.
    o Handles both Borland and DRI object file formats.
    o Libraries for TOS, GEM, Line A, and Borland Graphics Interface
      functions.
    o Project manager for efficient compilation of multiple sources.
    o 68881/2 math co-processor libraries.
    o Window based source level debugger which allows for stepping,
      break pointing, logging, and much more. (Package 2 only)
    o Integrated Lint and Make.
    o Robust macro assembler which can generate 68000 through 68030
      compatible code with full co-processor support.
    o Turbo fast compiling which generates very tight code.

    When in Germany at the Atari Fair in Dusseldorf we worked out an
  agreement with Borland Germany.  Under this agreement we would be
  able to order copies direct from them for programmers in the U.S.
  and Canada.

    Two different packages are available:

Package1:   $160.00

  Turbo C 2.0
    Compiler
    Linker
    Editor

[At this time, I think only Package2 is available... Joe]

Package2:   $275.00

  Turbo C 2.0
    Compiler
    Linker
    Editor
  Turbo Assembler
  Turbo Debugger

    To order, send a check or money order (drawn on a U.S. bank) for
  the correct amount along with $5 for shipping and handling to:

    Attn: Turbo C Offer
    Gribnif Software
    P.O. Box 350
    Hadley, MA  01035

    Be sure to include your name, address, and daytime phone number.
  If you have any questions, please feel free to call us at (413)
  584-7887 (also call to use a credit card).  We will be keeping you
  posted on GEnie as to the status of the initial order.  Pricing
  subject to change under extreme exchange rate fluctuations.
-----

Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (02/13/91)

Distribution:world

In article <1991Feb12.175253.1087@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> vovut@prism.CS.ORST.EDU () writes:

> Hello, everyone...
>
>     Which C compiler is the "best" in terms of support, speed (compared to say
>     MWC), debugger capabilities, etc.?
>     I am particularly interested in information about Prospero C, but any
>     information will be appreciated.
>     I noticed that some people have Turbo C for the ST.  Is Turbo C available
>     in the US?
> vovut@prism.cs.orst.edu

Turbo C.
Well from what I have read Gribnif sells it and has some kind of
support for it, there are other dealers in the US as well, some have
been posted here, its also claimed that Atari now use it as there
standard compiler.

There is also Lattice C5, from HiSoft, these two seem to be the best of the C
compilers for the Atari.

--
Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...

neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) (02/14/91)

In article <1991Feb13.020034.654@actrix.gen.nz>
Roger.Sheppard@bbs.actrix.gen.nz writes:
>Turbo C.
>Well from what I have read Gribnif sells it and has some kind of
>support for it, there are other dealers in the US as well, some have
>been posted here, its also claimed that Atari now use it as there
>standard compiler.
>
>There is also Lattice C5, from HiSoft, these two seem to be the best of the C
>compilers for the Atari.

Does anyone know if these two compilers have any kind of support for DRI link
format? I know it's not a great format but it's native to Alcyon C and Sozobon
C, imported by Laser C and converted by Mark Williams C. If there is no
support for it currently, will ther be in the future?

I know that one of the problems with link format support is the calling
conventions used. DRI stacks the parameters and use words or longwords.
Un*x style would stack only longs and passing paramters in registers would
also increase speed. Perhaps these optins are selectable.

>Roger W. Sheppard   85 Donovan Rd, Kapiti New Zealand...

! DISCLAIMER:Unless otherwise stated, the above comments are entirely my own !
!                                                                            !
! Neil Forsyth                      JANET:  neil@uk.ac.hw.cs                 !
! Dept. of Computer Science         ARPA:   neil@cs.hw.ac.uk                 !
! Heriot-Watt University            UUCP:   ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!neil          !
! Edinburgh, Scotland, UK           "That was never 5 symbols!"              !

dc@presto.ruhr.de (David Channing) (02/16/91)

In article <2303@odin.cs.hw.ac.uk> neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) writes:

> >Turbo C.
> >
> >There is also Lattice C5, from HiSoft, these two seem to be the best of the C
> >compilers for the Atari.
>
> Does anyone know if these two compilers have any kind of support for DRI link
> format?

Turbo-C supports the DRI format as well as it's own link format.

> I know that one of the problems with link format support is the calling
> conventions used. DRI stacks the parameters and use words or longwords.
> Un*x style would stack only longs and passing paramters in registers would
> also increase speed. Perhaps these optins are selectable.

Turbo-C normally passes as many parameters as possible in registers. You can
turn this off for any function with the declaration 'cdecl'; the parameters are
then passed on the stack.

--
dc@presto.ruhr.sub.org
dc@presto.ruhr.de

dc@presto.ruhr.de (David Channing) (02/17/91)

In article <2303@odin.cs.hw.ac.uk> neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) writes:

> I know that one of the problems with link format support is the calling
> conventions used. DRI stacks the parameters and use words or longwords.
> Un*x style would stack only longs and passing paramters in registers would
> also increase speed. Perhaps these optins are selectable.

It's not the job of the linker to generate the code for passing parameters.
The compiler should do that. Obviously if you want to link modules from
different compilers, they have to agree on where they are going to put/find the
parameters.
--
dc@presto.ruhr.sub.org
dc@presto.ruhr.de

boyd@mailer.cc.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (02/20/91)

In article <1991Feb12.175253.1087@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU>, vovut@prism.CS.ORST.EDU () writes:

>Hello, everyone...
>
>    Which C compiler is the "best" in terms of support, speed (compared to say
>    MWC), debugger capabilities, etc.?
>
>    I am particularly interested in information about Prospero C, but any
>    information will be appreciated.
>
>    I noticed that some people have Turbo C for the ST.  Is Turbo C available
>    in the US?
>
>Thanks in advance...
>
>vovut@prism.cs.orst.edu

I just read in my newest Current Notes that Prospero is "toning down" their
operations in the US.  I am unsure how this would bother owners of these
compilers, as the company is still going strong in Britain (where it is based).
At worst, it would increase the cost of upgrades (postage to/from GB).  I am
going to purchase Prospero C with my next paycheck, I have seen it for $89.

--
             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "God is a comedian playing to an
          FSU Computer Science       |      audience too afraid to laugh."

pegram@kira.UUCP (Robert B. Pegram) (02/21/91)

From article <1610106@presto.ruhr.de>, by dc@presto.ruhr.de (David Channing):
> In article <2303@odin.cs.hw.ac.uk> neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) writes:
>>
>> >Turbo C.
>> >
>> >There is also Lattice C5, from HiSoft, these two seem to be the best of the C
>> >compilers for the Atari.
>>
>> Does anyone know if these two compilers have any kind of support for DRI link
>> format?
>
> Turbo-C supports the DRI format as well as it's own link format.
>
>> I know that one of the problems with link format support is the calling
>> conventions used. DRI stacks the parameters and use words or longwords.
>> Un*x style would stack only longs and passing paramters in registers would
>> also increase speed. Perhaps these optins are selectable.
>
> Turbo-C normally passes as many parameters as possible in registers. You can
> turn this off for any function with the declaration 'cdecl'; the parameters are
> then passed on the stack.
>
> --
> dc@presto.ruhr.sub.org
> dc@presto.ruhr.de

Lattice C supports only Clink (it's own linker) and the GST format
linker - Not DRI.  Even so, it claims that the enhanced - with respect to
DRI - GST Linker is rather limiting for LC.  I only use 'em, I don't
know the details of all the differences.

Bob Pegram

pegram@griffin.uvm.edu
	or
...!uvm-gen!pegram