[net.music] Will The Real Kate Bush Please Stand Up

micci@nvuxg.UUCP (D M Dennee) (10/17/85)

Dan Ross asks:
> I know this is going to sound stupid, but WHO IS KATE BUSH?

For the past few months that I've been reading net.music, I
have been asking myself the same question.  I'd always been
pretty "up" on the music scene, and never heard of Kate Bush...
even on the NYC stations (WNEW, WAPP, WHTZ, WPLJ, etc.)

Well, I finally got MTV installed in my new apartment, after
a lapse of 4 months.  One of the first videos I saw was the
"Americanized" version of the "Running Up That Hill" video.
At last...KATE BUSH!  I still don't know much about her, except
the music is a little different, but she didn't seem to strike
me as anymore than any other "new" group/artist on MTV.

The song has grown on me a bit, though...

Micci Dennee
Bell Communications Research
Red Bank, NJ

					"Mother, does it have to be
					 so high?"

						-Pink Floyd [The Wall]

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (10/18/85)

> Dan Ross asks:
> > I know this is going to sound stupid, but WHO IS KATE BUSH?
>
> For the past few months that I've been reading net.music, I
> have been asking myself the same question.  I'd always been
> pretty "up" on the music scene, and never heard of Kate Bush...
> even on the NYC stations (WNEW, WAPP, WHTZ, WPLJ, etc.)

Listening to mainstream radio and being "pretty up on the music scene"
are contradictions in terms.  (WHTZ?  Z-100?  A source of musical knowledge?)

> Well, I finally got MTV installed in my new apartment, after
> a lapse of 4 months.  One of the first videos I saw was the
> "Americanized" version of the "Running Up That Hill" video.
> At last...KATE BUSH!  I still don't know much about her, except
> the music is a little different, but she didn't seem to strike
> me as anymore than any other "new" group/artist on MTV.

"Running Up That Hill" 'different'?  May I humbly suggest listening to some
serious college radio (like WRSU and WPRB locally) to get really "up" on
the music scene.  There's a whole world out there where Kate Bush is just
typical of a large output of creative music rather than "a little different".
(MTV is probably even less of a source of musical knowledge, unless you watch
the Cutting Edge on Sunday nights.  Try U68 instead.  There you'll get to see
the REAL Kate Bush video.)
--
Popular consensus says that reality is based on popular consensus.
						Rich Rosen   pyuxd!rlr

micci@nvuxg.UUCP (D M Dennee) (10/18/85)

>> ...I'd always been pretty "up" on the music scene, and never
>> heard of Kate Bush...even on the NYC stations (WNEW, WAPP,
>> WHTZ, WPLJ, etc.)

>  Listening to mainstream radio and beeing "pretty up on the music
>  scene" are contradictions in terms.  (WHTZ?  Z-100?  A source of
>  musical knowledge?

Sorry Rich, WHTZ and Z-100 are one and the same.  I know Z-100 is
top 40...I don't listen often, but WNEW plays more of a variation
of the "music scene".  O.K, so maybe I'm not as "up" on music as
I might have thought, I don't listen to the college stations.
But for the "average" person out there who listens to the NYC
stations, they've never heard of Kate Bush.

>> finally got MTV...At last...KATE BUSH!  I still don't know much
>> about her, except the music is a little different.

>  MTV is probably even less of a source of musical knowledge, unless
>  you watch the Cutting Edge on Sunday nights.  Try U68 instead.
>  There you'll get to see the REAL Kate Bush video.

MTV has shown videos from many groups I've never heard of/seen before
(embedded between the top hits)...and I *HAVE* watched U68.  It's
good, and I *DID* see the real Kate Bush video (much better than
the other version).  I don't, however, prefer one station to the
other...it depends on what I'm looking for.

I wasn't looking for a flame when I wrote the first article, just
stating some opinions.  But thanks, Rich, you've been the first
to flame me since I've been on the net!  (I think it was a flame...
even if only a "little" one. :-) )

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (10/19/85)

>>> ...I'd always been pretty "up" on the music scene, and never
>>> heard of Kate Bush...even on the NYC stations (WNEW, WAPP,
>>> WHTZ, WPLJ, etc.)

>>  Listening to mainstream radio and beeing "pretty up on the music
>>  scene" are contradictions in terms.  (WHTZ?  Z-100?  A source of
>>  musical knowledge?

> Sorry Rich, WHTZ and Z-100 are one and the same.

Why do you think I put both names in the same parenthetical statement!

> I know Z-100 is
> top 40...I don't listen often, but WNEW plays more of a variation
> of the "music scene".

WNEW is to progressive music what oil is to vinegar:  they don't mix.
WNEW was ONCE a great radio station, but their motif since WPLJ died as
an AOR station is to pick up the slack by playing endless boring metal
music ad cesium and "oldies" for people living in the past.

> O.K, so maybe I'm not as "up" on music as
> I might have thought, I don't listen to the college stations.

My point is don't claim to be so if you're not.

> But for the "average" person out there who listens to the NYC
> stations, they've never heard of Kate Bush.

Whose fault is that?  In the 1960's (remember them?), all sorts of music
got airplay on all sorts of radio stations.  There was no "black music",
"metal music", "new wave", etc.  There was a wide variety of music played
on even mainstream radio stations.  Now you've got these stupid pigeonholes
for radio stations that play only what is "allowed" by market pressures
and playlists.  Why isn't Kate Bush on these playlists?  Why aren't a lot
of great artists making modern creative music on the playlists?  These geeks
are SO SURE no one will like them?

>>> finally got MTV...At last...KATE BUSH!  I still don't know much
>>> about her, except the music is a little different.

>>  MTV is probably even less of a source of musical knowledge, unless
>>  you watch the Cutting Edge on Sunday nights.  Try U68 instead.
>>  There you'll get to see the REAL Kate Bush video.

> MTV has shown videos from many groups I've never heard of/seen before
> (embedded between the top hits)...and I *HAVE* watched U68.  It's
> good, and I *DID* see the real Kate Bush video (much better than
> the other version).  I don't, however, prefer one station to the
> other...it depends on what I'm looking for.

You're right.  If you're looking for extremely boring self-indulgent "VJ"s
playing a strict playlist of mainstream music in heavy rotation, then MTV
is for you.  If you're looking for something better, U68 offers it to a
degree.  (As does USA Night Flight, at least it did while I was still
watching it.)

> I wasn't looking for a flame when I wrote the first article, just
> stating some opinions.  But thanks, Rich, you've been the first
> to flame me since I've been on the net!  (I think it was a flame...
> even if only a "little" one. :-) )

No, it wasn't a flame.  (It's amazing how people "expect" certain submissions
to be flames based on presuppositions about certain things!)  It was intended
as information.  I hope it served that purpose, as I hope this one does.
--
"Wait a minute.  '*WE*' decided???   *MY* best interests????"
					Rich Rosen    ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (10/19/85)

> From: micci@nvuxg.UUCP (D M Dennee)

> I still don't know much about her, except the music is a little
> different, but she didn't seem to strike me as anymore than any other
> "new" group/artist on MTV.

> The song has grown on me a bit, though...

Given that her bizarre stuff *is* truly bizarre, you wouldn't expect
Empty-V to show any of that would you?  Her songs range in style nearly
as much as music does, and "Running Up That Hill" is her one and only
new wave dance song (in fact, probably her only dance song, unless you
consider waltzes to still be dance songs....).  That and a couple of
other pop songs on the album exist to pay for the rest of the album
which is quite bizarre.  If MTV would play "Jig of Life" or "Waking The
Witch", then you'd see....  (I'm told MTV perhaps showed "Suspended In
Gaffa" and "Sat In Your Lap" once or twice a couple years back.  Those
would have been good.)

				"I want it all!"

				 Doug Alan
				  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

lp102911@sjuvax.UUCP (palena) (10/22/85)

In article <175@nvuxg.UUCP> micci@nvuxg.UUCP writes:

>Dan Ross asks:
>> I know this is going to sound stupid, but WHO IS KATE BUSH?
>
>For the past few months that I've been reading net.music, I
>have been asking myself the same question.  I'd always been
>pretty "up" on the music scene, and never heard of Kate Bush...

     But fellows,this is precisely the allure of Kate Bush,ie-she
  seems to be so great but nobody's ever heard of her!! But if you're
  lucky that wonder-of-wonders at MIT might hum a bar or two of her
  latest hit for you in his next article.

                    And this is precisely why I call this follow-up
                        another timely contribution to net.KateBush,

                               Larry Palena
                               lp102911@sjuvax