[comp.sys.atari.st] stdcat40.lzh

chuck@mrcnext.uiuc.edu (charles bridgeland) (02/19/91)

just got from atari.archive the disc cataloger stdcat40.
	it looks very slick.  GEM based, does everything in two windows, one
with disc, onw with disc contents.
	i'm having trouble with it though.  i cannot get it to reliably read
more than the first disk that i feed it, and i trashed the directory of the
disk i tried to save to.
	i had the same disc read problem with version 4.3 downloaded from
a local board.
	e-mail to the name in the doc file bounced.

	anybody know about this program?   what am i doing wrong?

chuck bridgeland---anarchoRepublican
	--don't forget, we surround _them_, not the other way around"
chuck@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu     hire me so I can quit this pit.

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (02/20/91)

chuck@mrcnext.uiuc.edu (charles bridgeland) writes:

- just got from atari.archive the disc cataloger stdcat40.
-        it looks very slick.  GEM based, does everything in two
- windows, one with disc, onw with disc contents.  i'm having trouble
- with it though.  i cannot get it to reliably read more than the first
- disk that i feed it, and i trashed the directory of the disk i tried
- to save to.  i had the same disc read problem with version 4.3
- downloaded from a local board.  e-mail to the name in the doc file
- bounced.
-
-        anybody know about this program?   what am i doing wrong?

It may be something, like a cache, that you have in your AUTO folder.
Try STDCAT with nothing installed.  I've run version 4.0 before with
no problems.  Also, any chance you could upload version 4.3 to
atari.archive? :^)

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

jhenders@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca (John Henders) (02/21/91)

In <chuck.666967866@mrcnext>, charles bridgeland writes:

>	i'm having trouble with it though.  i cannot get it to reliably read
>more than the first disk that i feed it, and i trashed the directory of the
>disk i tried to save to.
>
>	anybody know about this program?   what am i doing wrong?

	You don't mention it, but let me guess. You have a mega, right?
There was a while when the mega shipped with a disk drive that did
not send the disk change message when a new disk was installed unless
the write-protect switch was enabled. This will not be noticed if
you have TOS 1.4very often as it was changed to force a disk directory
read when a drive was looked at. There's a program called FMC which
seems to reliably do the same thing if used from the auto folder.
	My dealer replaced the drive, but said Atari would not admit
the fault in public, thought there was considerable discussion of it
on GEnie.
	There have been several solutions on fixing the problem by bridging
pins on the drive. Sorrry, but I don't have the info archived, perhaps
someone else will.
	If all these questions which come up here in regular cycles were
on the FAQ list, it would probably exceed the 44k limit on messages.;-)

--
          John Henders        			jhenders@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca
       	  MIND over MIDI Productions	or ubc.cs!van-bc!jonh!jhenders

eahsnsr@nmt.edu (Eric A. Hobbs) (02/23/91)

In article <1991Feb20.012309.21756@ecst.csuchico.edu> ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) writes:
>chuck@mrcnext.uiuc.edu (charles bridgeland) writes:
>
>- just got from atari.archive the disc cataloger stdcat40.
>-        it looks very slick.  GEM based, does everything in two
>- windows, one with disc, onw with disc contents.  i'm having trouble
>- with it though.  i cannot get it to reliably read more than the first
>- disk that i feed it, and i trashed the directory of the disk i tried
>- to save to.  i had the same disc read problem with version 4.3
>- downloaded from a local board.  e-mail to the name in the doc file
>- bounced.
>-
>-        anybody know about this program?   what am i doing wrong?
>
>It may be something, like a cache, that you have in your AUTO folder.
>Try STDCAT with nothing installed.  I've run version 4.0 before with
>no problems.  Also, any chance you could upload version 4.3 to
>atari.archive? :^)
>
>--
>         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
>   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
>   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
>  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

    I downloaded v4.0 and when I tried it the first time, it wiped out the
directory on the program disk. Apparently the Table of Contents (? 8-bit
leftovers) was intact, because the disk still said that there was something
on it, however there was nothing in the directory. I have no cacheing
programs and I am running on an unmodified 520STfm (yeaach!). I downloaded
it again and have had no problems since.

Eric A. HOBBS!
eahsnsr@JUPITER.nmt.edu