[comp.sys.atari.st] $99 LYNX is OUT!!!!

dlk0ms9s@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Mark Santora) (02/22/91)

 I was recently, today, in Toys R Us and was pleasantly surprised to find the
ATARI LYNX priced at $99.  It wasn't smaller, it was the smae LYNX I bought
last year when they were released in limited quantities in NYC.  Anyway,
As I looked at it, something strange told me to look at the box.  It is smaller
than the exceptionally large box the LYNX came in.  This is because the system
is now sold WITHOUT a power adapter.  I was also lead to beleive that the
system no longer comes with a cartridge, while I find that HIGHLY doubtful,
the box did not mention that California Games was included.  But when I went
into the games Isle, California Games was for sale, at $24.95!  So, Atari
has cut the price in half, but taken out to important features, a game(it seems)
and the power adapter.  The adapter sold for $7.95.

Mark Santora
DLK0MS9S@umiami.ir.miami.edu

wilsont@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (WILSON TIMOTHY EDWARD) (02/23/91)

In article <1991Feb21.180707.7887@umiami.ir.miami.edu> dlk0ms9s@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Mark Santora) writes:

>is now sold WITHOUT a power adapter.  I was also lead to beleive that the
>system no longer comes with a cartridge, while I find that HIGHLY doubtful,
>the box did not mention that California Games was included.  But when I went
>into the games Isle, California Games was for sale, at $24.95!  So, Atari
>has cut the price in half, but taken out to important features, a game(it seems)
>and the power adapter.  The adapter sold for $7.95.

Taken out important features? I personally don't mind getting a 16-bit color stereo sound,backlit,multi player portable arcade for 106.95 I'd always wanted gauntlet bundled anyway.
Isn't the gameboy $79? (snicker)

jjung@aludra.usc.edu (Robert Jung) (02/23/91)

In article <1991Feb21.180707.7887@umiami.ir.miami.edu> dlk0ms9s@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Mark Santora) writes:
> I was recently, today, in Toys R Us and was pleasantly surprised to find the
>ATARI LYNX priced at $99.  It wasn't smaller, it was the smae LYNX I bought
>last year when they were released in limited quantities in NYC.
>    :
> [etc.]

  You don't read rec.games.video, do you?  B-)

  The $99 Lynx currently being sold is Atari's effort to get rid of the "Lynx
Classic" (black brushed aluminum) design. After those are gone, production
shifts to the new "Lynx II" design, which is smaller and costs less to
manufacture. You can buy the Lynx II as either $99, Lynx ONLY (no CALIFORNIA
GAMES), or a $149 everything package (Lynx, game, adaptor, cable).

  The new units are supposed to be arriving in March. If you buy the $99
package, you can add the adaptor ($10), the ComLynx cable ($10), and/or
CALIFORNIA GAMES (~$30) at your leisure.

  This is fairly dated news, by the way. I've been talking about it for
weeks now.  B-)

                                                --R.J.
                                                B-)

Send whatevers to jjung@nunki.usc.edu | If it has pixels, I'm for it.
       "If it moves, shoot it. If it doesn't move, shoot it anyway."