[comp.sys.atari.st] Flicker on interlace

logajan@ns.network.com (John Logajan) (02/19/91)

In article <1991Feb19.094849.24138@qut.edu.au> lunnon@qut.edu.au writes:
>It turned out that I just could not stand the flicker, so the board is an
>unusual curiosity in the bottom of a junk box somewhere.

Odd.  Since the scan rates should be within a few percent broadcast TV
rates.  Any idea why this should be?

--
- John Logajan @ Network Systems; 7600 Boone Ave; Brooklyn Park, MN 55428
- logajan@ns.network.com, 612-424-4888, Fax 612-424-2853

lunnon@qut.edu.au (02/23/91)

In article <1991Feb21.152704.24184@qut.edu.au>, lunnon@qut.edu.au writes:

> This is easy, when you look at a moving picture on TV from 6 meters you dont
> notice it, but on a computer monitor from 2 inches it's headache stuff.
> The interlace moves the image down by half a line every odd field so if the
> same image is on both fields a horizontal line appears to jiter up and down
> if the line is only on one field as on an Amiga or with the interlace gizmo
> then the line only gets written on half the frames or at 15 Hz (yuk)

							  ^ oops I made a
								boo-boo
	Make that 30 Hz ( With 60Hz normal frame-rate )

logajan@ns.network.com (John Logajan) (02/23/91)

In article <1991Feb22.113551.24187@qut.edu.au> lunnon@qut.edu.au writes:
>> The interlace moves the image down by half a line every odd field so if the
>> same image is on both fields a horizontal line appears to jiter up and down
>> if the line is only on one field as on an Amiga or with the interlace gizmo
>> then the line only gets written on half the frames or at 30 Hz (yuk)

If I understand you (and the other guy who sent me email -- thanks) then
interlace still might not be such a bad idea for displaying things like
the GIF files in alt.sex.pictures,  err, I mean alt.car.pictures.  Yeah,
that's the ticket.

Such GIF pictures don't generally have such abrupt detail.  So they should
work with interlace?

--
- John Logajan @ Network Systems; 7600 Boone Ave; Brooklyn Park, MN 55428
- logajan@ns.network.com, 612-424-4888, Fax 612-424-2853

perstoro@netmbx.UUCP (Wilhelm Schaefer) (02/23/91)

Hello!
******

This is realy intresting this flicker discussion. But does anybody know
how I can tell my ST to start flicker-mode? I guess there must be some
changes in the hardware. I am *realy* intrested in a description of the
necessary hardware. If it works, I'll try  to give my atari some extra HZ,
to make it faster, WITHOUT giving my monitor to much....

bis denn

		 -- --- perstoro --- --