[comp.sys.atari.st] gcc woes

4203_5132@uwovax.uwo.ca (02/12/91)

	Now that I have my problems worked out with LaTeX...

	I have been trying to get gcc 1.37.1 to run on my 1040 with a
megafile 30.  I have the binaries in /gcc/bin, the includes in /gcc/include
and the libs in /gcc/lib.  I believe I have the correct GNULIB and
GNUINC enviroment variables set correctly (from gulam).  I am not sure
I have the GCCEXEC set correctly, in that  I am not sure if it should be
a  path or a prefix for the ld, as, cpp etc ,binaries.  I also have TEMP
set to /tmp.

	When I run gcc (on even the simplest c source), I get a cmd exit
code 1 from gulam, and no trace of a '.o' file.  Seems however I can run
other binaries such as cpp and it has no problem working (finding the
include files etc.)  What am I doing wrong?  Could someone please e-mail
me the specifics, or a solution to my frustrating problem.

	One last point.  Where can I get a complete (LaTeX'able) set of
docs for gcc?  Atari.Archive doesn't seem to have them, neither a few
other FTP sites.  Thanks in advance...

4th year Applied Math/Computer Science  |
University of Western Ontario 		| "Put a cute quote here"
London, Canada				|		-anonymous
semple@uwovax.uwo.ca  			|

gjh@hplb.hpl.hp.com (Graham Higgins) (02/15/91)

++   I have been trying to get gcc 1.37.1 to run on my 1040 with a
                                                       ^^^^
Fail. You need at least 2Mb to run GCC.

Well, you *can* get away with

#include <stdio.h>
main()
{
   printf("Hello world.\n");
}

but that's about it. From my experiences, 16K's worth of code was about the max
that GCC could deal with on a 1040. If you want to play with it under this
limitation, try removing all your ACCs and running it under gulam, or even
jbammis gnums (minimalist shell).

Graham
======

Graham Higgins             	|  Phone: (0272) 799910 x 24060
Hewlett-Packard Labs    	|  gjh%ghiggins@hpl.hp.co.uk
Bristol                       	|  gjh%ghiggins@hplb.hpl.hp.com
U.K.                          	|
Disclaimer: My opinions above are exactly that, mine and opinions.

kentd@FtCollins.NCR.com (Kent.Dalton) (02/18/91)

You might try the '-v' option which will give verbose output from GCC.

This will let you know where it's looking for the executables and
creating temp files.

/* Kent Dalton                     * EMail: Kent.Dalton@FtCollins.NCR.COM */
/* NCR Microelectronics            *   CIS: 72320,3306                    */
/* 2001 Danfield Ct. MS470A        *                                      */
/* Fort Collins, Colorado 80525    * (303) 223-5100 X-319                 */
Fortune:
Eternal nothingness is fine if you happen to be dressed for it.
		-- Woody Allen

4203_5132@uwovax.uwo.ca (02/25/91)

In article <GJH.91Feb15110217@ghiggins.hpl.hp.com>, gjh@hplb.hpl.hp.com (Graham Higgins) writes:

> ++   I have been trying to get gcc 1.37.1 to run on my 1040 with a
>                                                        ^^^^
> Fail. You need at least 2Mb to run GCC.

	Consider that changed.  I now am running with no problems under a
Mega ST2 upgraded to 4 meg.  Much nicer.