[comp.sys.atari.st] I ***STILL*** want GAUNTLET II

AAron@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (02/13/91)

I have tried a few more software houses, and have found that no one
can deliver a GAUNTLET II.  Apparently it is out of distribution, and
no one can get one anymore...

I want GAUNTLET II, and I don't know how to get it.
Does anyone have one that they will part with? or
Does anyone know a store that has one left?

AAron@sun.soe.clarkson.edu

dz0x+@andrew.cmu.edu (David Joseph Zieger) (02/14/91)

>I want GAUNTLET II, and I don't know how to get it.
>Does anyone have one that they will part with? or
>Does anyone know a store that has one left?

>AAron@sun.soe.clarkson.edu

   This game was released in one of those multi-game packs.  I forget
the name of the package and of the company selling it, but these things
are frequently in the mail-order lists.  I can check the box and post
the important info later.
   For now, I can tell you that it's in the set containing Gauntlet II,
Outrun, 1943 (or is it 1942?) and Street Fighter (or something like
that.)
   I should tell you that this game has a curious flaw, or at least, my
version did.  The game comes on two disks.  You boot the game with the
first one, but switch them right before the game starts.  The trouble
is, it doesn't switch off the drive while asking, so you have to change
disks with the drive running.  This, however, is not the problem, but it
may be related.  My version of the game insists on creating a character
in the fourth player slot, which can't be controlled without some sort
of adapter.  So, you have your character on the screen with this other
character that doesn't move and shoots continuously.  You can push him
around the screen, and hope the bad guys get in his line of fire.  If he
dies, he comes right back.
   The game didn't always do this, though.  It didn't do it the first
time I used the game, and it didn't do it for a little while after I got
the drive re-aligned.  I have no idea what the technical explanation is
for this problem  - I don't really think it's a software problem.  If
anyone out there has any ideas on what the problem is, and how to
correct it, please let me know.

                               ---- Dave Z.   { dz0x+@andrew.cmu.edu }
                               Official Field Reporter for The Guide
     ' Time is an Illusion, Lunchtime Doubly So'  - Douglas Adams
     ' Look in -- to the eye of the Storm.
       Look out -- for the Force without form.'
                                                                - Rush

gordon@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (John Gordon) (02/14/91)

	I know how to correct the "Extra Ghost Player" problem.  This occurs
when you have a printer attached to the printer port, ond it is either off
or turned on but on-line.  Solve the problem by turning the printer on
and put it off-line.  (This happens because the 4-player adapter plugs in
to the printer port, and a real printer conflicts with the game's
expectations of reading the port.)  NOTE: I do not know how the game reacts
if there is no printer attached.

---
John Gordon
Internet: gordon@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu        #include <disclaimer.h>
          gordon@cerl.cecer.army.mil       #include <clever_saying.h>

techno@lime.in-berlin.de (Techno) (02/15/91)

dz0x+@andrew.cmu.edu (David Joseph Zieger) writes:

[stuff on how to get it deleted]

>   I should tell you that this game has a curious flaw, or at least, my
>version did.  The game comes on two disks.  You boot the game with the
>first one, but switch them right before the game starts.  The trouble
>is, it doesn't switch off the drive while asking, so you have to change
>disks with the drive running.  This, however, is not the problem, but it
>may be related.  My version of the game insists on creating a character
>in the fourth player slot, which can't be controlled without some sort
>of adapter.  So, you have your character on the screen with this other
>character that doesn't move and shoots continuously.  You can push him
>around the screen, and hope the bad guys get in his line of fire.  If he
>dies, he comes right back.
>   The game didn't always do this, though.  It didn't do it the first
>time I used the game, and it didn't do it for a little while after I got
>the drive re-aligned.  I have no idea what the technical explanation is
>for this problem  - I don't really think it's a software problem.  If
>anyone out there has any ideas on what the problem is, and how to
>correct it, please let me know.

The disk drive is not the problem. It happens when there is anything
connected to your parallel printer port, even if the connected device is
powered off. Thus, the solution is simple: just remove anything from
the port and the game works fine.

                        Hope this helps,

                                      Techno

--
| techno@zelator.in-berlin.de ||| Please do not e-mail from outside Germany ! |
| techno@lime.in-berlin.de   / | \ Hardcore ST user !  ====================== |

ehs@tukki.jyu.fi (Eero H. Sarkkinen) (02/15/91)

In article <MbiOELi00VpbA800Vc@andrew.cmu.edu> dz0x+@andrew.cmu.edu (David Joseph Zieger) writes:
>may be related.  My version of the game insists on creating a character
>in the fourth player slot, which can't be controlled without some sort
>of adapter.  So, you have your character on the screen with this other
>character that doesn't move and shoots continuously.  You can push him
>around the screen, and hope the bad guys get in his line of fire.  If he
>dies, he comes right back.

Did you by any chance connect a printer to your ST after the
first few times you used the game?  Apparently the adapter
for the extra joysticks uses the printer port, and if there
is a printer cable connected to the port this kind of thing
happens.  It happened to me the first time I tried the game
and I couldn't figure out if this was a feature or what.
Anyway, the problem disappeared when I disconnected the
printer.  (I find my character severely outnumbered, though.)

>                               ---- Dave Z.   { dz0x+@andrew.cmu.edu }
>                               Official Field Reporter for The Guide
>     ' Time is an Illusion, Lunchtime Doubly So'  - Douglas Adams
>     ' Look in -- to the eye of the Storm.

>       Look out -- for the Force without form.'
>                                                                - Rush

-eero-

--

boyd@mailer.cc.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (02/20/91)

In article <MbiOELi00VpbA800Vc@andrew.cmu.edu>, dz0x+@andrew.cmu.edu (David Joseph Zieger) writes:
>   I should tell you that this game has a curious flaw, or at least, my
>version did.  The game comes on two disks.  You boot the game with the
>first one, but switch them right before the game starts.  The trouble
>is, it doesn't switch off the drive while asking, so you have to change
>disks with the drive running.  This, however, is not the problem, but it
>may be related.  My version of the game insists on creating a character
>in the fourth player slot, which can't be controlled without some sort
>of adapter.  So, you have your character on the screen with this other
>character that doesn't move and shoots continuously.  You can push him
>around the screen, and hope the bad guys get in his line of fire.  If he
>dies, he comes right back.
>   The game didn't always do this, though.  It didn't do it the first
>time I used the game, and it didn't do it for a little while after I got
>the drive re-aligned.  I have no idea what the technical explanation is
>for this problem  - I don't really think it's a software problem.  If
>anyone out there has any ideas on what the problem is, and how to
>correct it, please let me know.

I tried Gauntlet II on my machine, and it would not work correctly unless
I disconnected my printer cable from the back of the machine (it would NOT
work if I disconnected it from the printer!?!).  The 4-player adaptor uses
the printer port, and the game does not seem to like anything residing
else residing there.  My problem was that both a 3rd and 4th player would
be created whenever I played, and one of them would try to walk to the
left continuously.

I would like to note that the game is excellent, and I have played it as
one of four (real) players.  It's a blast!  I just don't want to disconnect
my printer cable whenever I want to play . . . .

--
             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "God is a comedian playing to an
          FSU Computer Science       |      audience too afraid to laugh."

In article <1991Feb20.040044.1457@mailer.cc.fsu.edu> boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) writes:
>I tried Gauntlet II on my machine, and it would not work correctly unless
>I disconnected my printer cable from the back of the machine (it would NOT
>work if I disconnected it from the printer!?!).  The 4-player adaptor uses
>the printer port, and the game does not seem to like anything residing
>else residing there.  My problem was that both a 3rd and 4th player would
>be created whenever I played, and one of them would try to walk to the
>left continuously.
>
>I would like to note that the game is excellent, and I have played it as
>one of four (real) players.  It's a blast!  I just don't want to disconnect
>my printer cable whenever I want to play . . . .

I bought a 25-pin AB switchbox for my parallel port, to select between printer
and joystick extender. (Too much money and too lazy, I guess.  }-)
Yeah, the game is pretty cool.
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan

Flame all you want - we'll take more.

kllove@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Kenneth L Love) (02/25/91)

In article <KENTD.91Feb18132014@zappa.FtCollins.NCR.com> kentd@FtCollins.NCR.com (Kent.Dalton) writes:

>To the original poster (and anyone else interested) :
>The name of the multi-pack is "Giants", I believe. (someone correct
>me if I'm wrong)

I have found Gauntlet II (not the multi-pack) in a local store for $21.95.
If whomever posted the original article still wants this then send e-mail
to me.

                                                  Kenneth Love