[comp.sys.atari.st] STalker BBS

ramsiri@blake.u.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) (02/25/91)

What are the STalker BBS port settings that allow for
one STalker ST to call and log on another STalkered ST?
Haven't yet found a combination of polarity word size etc
that seems to work.  Also.. will both local and host have
the TALK screen split?  The one time i got this to work..
only one of us had a split screen... the other had one line
avaiable on the bottom of the screen.

Thanks
kevin
ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu

rosenqui@crc.skl.dnd.ca (Eric Rosenquist) (02/25/91)

In article <1991Feb25.004019.1774@ecst.csuchico.edu> ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) writes:
>ramsiri@blake.u.washington.edu (Kevin - you really need your own account :^)
>
>- What are the STalker BBS port settings that allow for
>- one STalker ST to call and log on another STalkered ST?
>- Haven't yet found a combination of polarity word size etc
>- that seems to work.  Also.. will both local and host have
>- the TALK screen split?  The one time i got this to work..
>- only one of us had a split screen... the other had one line
>- avaiable on the bottom of the screen.
>
>It shouldn't matter.  Just 8N1 on both ends.  And I think both terms
>should have the split screen.  My guess would be to make sure that
>both STalkers have the same display protocol, ANSI or VT52.
>
>I've used this Talk feature before, but it wasn't with two STalkers;
>one was STalker and one wasn't.  Actually, maybe just the STalker set
>up as a BBS has the split screen.
>
>Maybe Eric Rosenquist can clear this up...

Only the 'host' system gets the split screen.  It would be possible to
make a split screen on the remote terminal if it were VT100, but you
wouldn't want to use it unless you were connected at 9600 baud or
faster.  The split screen ideally is maintained by saving and
restoring the cursor position, which means that an awful lot of extra
characters would have to be transmitted and therefore cut down the
useful bandwidth.  This way also relies on the remote VT100 emulator
being able to answer a "where is your cursor" query, and many can't.

It could be done without such facilities if STalker were to keep track
of where it thought the remote cursor was I suppose, but at the time
it didn't seem to be terribly important to try to split the remote
screen - STalker just treats the remote terminal as a dumb tty.

Eric