[comp.sys.atari.st] Maple or symbolic computation.

Thomas.Stricker@CS.CMU.EDU (02/22/91)

A friend of mine in Berne, Switzerland  would like to do symbolic
mathematical computation on his Atari 1040ST.

I saw some math folks of waterloo.ca on the bboard....

So how about Maple. What are the hardware requirements, where to get it,
how much does would it cost?

Secondly there are probably Urbana folks here as well. So what about
Mathematica, is it also available for the Atari. At least the kernel and
the simple user interface should be.

Please help me on that. I don't wan't to tell my friend that "he's got
the wrong computers"....

Thanks a lot
Thomas M. Stricker
SCS, Carnegie Mellon University

carter@cat27.cs.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter) (02/22/91)

Mathematica will run on the ST, but not in ST mode.   You have to have Mr.
Small's Spectre GCR.

SPEAKING OF WHICH DAVE, where is my GCR?  I mean, its been weeks now?

--Gregory

PS: OBVIOUSLY only the standard edition will run.

cbbrowne@csi.uottawa.ca (Christopher Browne (055908)) (02/23/91)

>So how about Maple. What are the hardware requirements, where to get it,
>how much does would it cost?

Yes, it is available.  It requires a hard drive (I have a copy, but have
been unable to install it on my non-existent HD :-)).

It cost me $95 under educational pricing.  It probably costs more for
non-students.

It apparently runs in 1MB, so that a 1040ST should certainly be
adequate.

>(W)hat about
>Mathematica, is it also available for the Atari?

I doubt that they (Wolfram Research) will ever support an Atari version.
They have versions for Sun, IBM PC (I think there's a version for 386),
Mac, and probably some other workstation machines.  The Atari often gets
overlooked (I expect Amigoids will also be overlooked).

Maple got ported to the ST because a fellow involved with the Symbolic
Computation Group at Waterloo had an ST, and wanted to run Maple on his
own machine.  The same thing happened for the Amiga.  There was no marketing
plan to produce versions for these machines - it just sort of happened.
(Then there was the guy that wrote a GNU CC code generator for the 6502
so that he could write ANSI C programs for his C64...  But I digress...
this should go on alt.hackers/alt.computer.folklore...)

>Please help me on that. I don't wan't to tell my friend that "he's got
>the wrong computers"....

Certainly not.  The ST may never run Mathematica, but it is nonetheless
mathematically supported, with packages like Maple, J, (Hi, Prof. Dickey!)
Form,...

--
Christopher Browne
cbbrowne@csi.uofottawa.ca

ttensfeldt@eagle.wesleyan.edu (02/25/91)

In article <1991Feb22.185006.845@csi.uottawa.ca>, cbbrowne@csi.uottawa.ca
(Christopher Browne (055908)) writes:
>>So how about Maple. What are the hardware requirements, where to get it,
>>how much does would it cost?
>
> Yes, it is available.  It requires a hard drive (I have a copy, but have
> been unable to install it on my non-existent HD :-)).
Chris,

  Could you fill me in with some additional details about getting Maple. I
tried to email you direct but mail bounced the message. I need any information
about it that you can provide. Thanks...
  Tom Tensfeldt           Bitnet: TTENSFELDT%Eagle.WESLYN@Wesleyan.Bitnet
                        Internet: TTENSFELDT@Eagle.Wesleyan.Edu

                  4 Laurel Avenue, Ledyard,    CT 06339 (203)-464-9009
  Pfizer, Inc.,   Box 100,         Groton,     CT 06340 (203)-441-4835
  Chemistry Dept, Wesleyan Univ,   Middletown, CT       (203)-347-9411 X2635

cbbrowne@csi.uottawa.ca (Christopher Browne (055908)) (02/26/91)

>>So how about Maple. What are the hardware requirements, where to get it,
>>>how much does would it cost?
>>
>> Yes, it is available.  It requires a hard drive (I have a copy, but have
>> been unable to install it on my non-existent HD :-)).

>  Could you fill me in with some additional details about getting Maple. I
>tried to email you direct but mail bounced the message. I need any information
>about it that you can provide. Thanks...

First detail:
	The BEST place to get information on Maple on the net is to perhaps
post queries on sci.math.symbolic.  Some of the developers of Maple regularly
follow postings there, and reply to mail.

Second:
	The Address at which Maple can be obtained:
	Waterloo Maple Software
	160 Columbia St. West.
	Waterloo, Ontario
	Canada
	N2L 3L3

This information is hopefully of general interest, and worth posting
publicly.

Hope this helps.