[comp.sys.atari.st] Smalltalk

jpierre@utai.UUCP (06/21/87)

I read a while back that Smalltalk 80 had been ported to the ST somewhere
in Germany. I am currently working with Smalltalk/V on a PC AT and I
would like to have some version of Smalltalk on the 1040. Could anyone
tell me where to phone or write to get a smalltalk package. Thanks.

Jean-Pierre Corriveau
Dept. of Computer Science
University of Toronto, Toronto
CANADA M5S 1A4

USENET:	{utzoo,floyd,linus,decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!utcsri!utai!jpierre
ARPA:	jpierre%Toronto@CSNet-Relay
CSNet:  jpierre@ai.toronto.edu
EAN:    jpierre@ai.toronto.cdn
UUCP:   jpierre@utai.uucp

cvm@kaiser.UUCP (C Malley) (03/03/88)

My apologies if this is the wrong place to be asking this, but...
Is anyone aware of a version of Smalltalk that runs on the Atari ST ?
Please respond by mail, as I don't read this group.  Thanks!

Chris Malley
...ihnp4!kaiser!cvm

rp362@estevax.UUCP (Hr Plaum Reiner ) (11/16/89)

I have a public domain version of Smalltalk, called Little Smalltalk.
This is together with Icon (another language) on a disk, available from
each PD distributor in Germany.
This version is without grafics, i think (I actually did not use it),
solely the language. One my say Smalltalk without grafics is not
Smalltalk, but it is free, just to get a feeling of real Smalltalk.

I know of a professional version of Smalltalk for the ST. I read a review
about that in some german computer magazin. As far as I can remember, the price
would be ca 2000 DM (ca 1100 $), for students and teachers considerably fewer.
It is a complete and stable implementation of Smalltalk-80.
More information can be obtained from georg@unido or georg@unido.uucp.bitnet

Reiner Plaum

ya16@mrcu (Ian Powell) (11/23/89)

In article <8911080814.AA08806@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, FITSILIS@GRPATVX1.BITNET writes:
> Has anybody out there heard anything about Smalltalk for Atari ST ?
> I am in desperate need of some information
>                                                 CHARLIE

I had a phone call from a guy the other day following up a
discussion we had on Smalltalk/V for the PC.  In passing I asked
him if there was one for the ATARI ST.  He said there was in fact
a Smalltalk-80 system.  Don't get too excited, it needs at lest a
Mega ST4 to run with a large hard disk and will cost about 500+.
Not for home use, at least in the UK!  I can offhand remember the
companies name, but he promised to mail me some information.
When I receive this I will post a synopsis, if anyone is
interested.

INTERNET: powell%gec-mrc.co.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk

ramsiri@blake.u.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) (02/21/91)

Is there a Smalltalk for the ST?  PD?

kevin
ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu

mwjester@wsuiar.uucp (loki) (02/27/91)

In article <16782@milton.u.washington.edu>,
	ramsiri@blake.u.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) writes:
> Is there a Smalltalk for the ST?  PD?

I'm posting this, as the question may be of general interest.
The answers to your questions are: Yes, No.
Yes, there is a Smalltalk for the ST. No, it is not PD, but it is probably
close enough if by that you mean free.  Gnu smalltalk v1.1 is available
via anonymous ftp from prep.ai.mit.edu.  The makefile has some #ifdef's
for the atari, so you might not need to do anything special while
compiling.

BE WARNED - you WILL need 4 Megs to run it.  I built v1.0 on the ST,
and it did not run in 2.5 Megs (I've got 4, but with a 1.5M ramdisk).
Also, it is not GEM-oriented at this time; you deal with a command line.
Docs are mainly the source and a 35-page manual (tex sources included).
The Goldberg book(s) are highly recommended (green and or blue - the
purple is sneered at by the author(s) of the manual for the gnu version).

Hope this helps.
Max J.