[comp.sys.atari.st] Term program for MINT

millert@tramp.Colorado.EDU (MILLER TODD C) (02/24/91)

In article <1991Feb24.040959.23176@cs.wayne.edu> pbh@pandora.cs.wayne.edu (Patrick B. Haggood) writes:
>Anybody know if there's a TOS program, commercial or pc, that does
>VT52 or VT100?

Check out ST-term and Kerry's Term (term4.lzh) both should be on atari.archive
As far as I know both are .tos programs

 - Todd
--
Todd C. Miller                    | "But all the politiCIAns now
millert@tramp.Colorado.EDU        |  They have no excuse

depeche@cs.mcgill.ca (Acme Instant Dehydrated Boulder Kit) (02/28/91)

In article <25479@netcom.COM> rcb@netcom.COM (Roy Bixler) writes:
>In article <1991Feb24.040959.23176@cs.wayne.edu> pbh@pandora.cs.wayne.edu (Patrick B. Haggood) writes:
>>Anybody know if there's a TOS program, commercial or pc, that does
>>VT52 or VT100?

The terminal program I normally use is ST-TERM, which should be available
on atari.archive.umich.edu.
It is a TOS program, which supports vt100 as well as zmodem and numerous
other transfer protocols, and has a procomm-like dialer.

One problem with it though is that it grabs all the available memory it can
for itself, so if you have a 2mb machine, run mint, go into bgacc, run
stterm, and then go back into gem or whatever, you won't have any memory to
run other stuff, because it is all being used by your other process. NOte
that STTERM doesn't require this memory - it is only used for the capture
buffer. If you have less memory, the capture buffer will be smaller.

When I asked the guy who wrote mint what I should do, he said that i should
set an environment variable in INIT.PRG to limit the amount of memory it
can grab, run STTERM from INIT, and then I when I exit I can do other
neato stuff too.

I can't remember how to do it now though - I should download the more recent
version of MINT anyway, and finally read the entire manual before I bother
the guy again, as I am sure he has much better things to do than answer
the same question twice!

--
|S. Alan Ezust		: McGill University School of Computer Science      |
|depeche@cs.mcgill.ca	:	     Montreal, Quebec, Canada		    |

7103_2622@uwovax.uwo.ca (Eric Smith) (03/01/91)

In article <1991Feb27.164815.3151@cs.mcgill.ca>, depeche@cs.mcgill.ca (Acme Instant Dehydrated Boulder Kit) writes:
> One problem with it though is that it grabs all the available memory it can
> for itself, so if you have a 2mb machine, run mint, go into bgacc, run
> stterm, and then go back into gem or whatever, you won't have any memory to
> run other stuff, because it is all being used by your other process. NOte
> that STTERM doesn't require this memory - it is only used for the capture
> buffer. If you have less memory, the capture buffer will be smaller.
>
> When I asked the guy who wrote mint what I should do, he said that i should
> set an environment variable in INIT.PRG to limit the amount of memory it
> can grab, run STTERM from INIT, and then I when I exit I can do other
> neato stuff too.

I hope I didn't say that! The correct way of doing this is to use the
"limit" program -- say, type "limit -M 1000K stterm" to run stterm with
only 1 megabyte of memory. Or, if you want to limit all of your programs
to running in 1 Mb, you could just start gem up at the beginning with
that limit, i.e. start gem with "limit -M 1000K gem" instead of just "gem".
--
Eric R. Smith                     email:
Dept. of Mathematics            eric.smith@uwo.ca