[comp.sys.atari.st] sickly 1040st nneds help!!

drp9500@isc.rit.edu (D.R. Paradis ) (02/28/91)

I have an Atari 1040st with a problem....

   It seems that the damn thing wont boot ANYTHING from the floppy
drive.  The drive checks out fine (tried it on another machine), the
controller chip is fine (replaced it).  I just checked the power supply
to see if THAT was the culprit, nope.  Checked the power line into the
drive just in case, hmmmmm I got 13 volts going to the drive instead of
12......I wonder....The drive is a Chinon model F-354 EAT (that's DSDD
to the rest of us).

  ROM chips (TOS 1.0) are fine.  Boots off a hard drive just dandy.

If I try to boot from a floppy I get a low res screen, and then I open
drive A and get 0 bytes in 0 sectors EVERY TIME!!!  I get this even if
there IS stuff on the disk.  Autoboot disks, nope.  Non-GEM disks, nope.
If I do a show info...lock up.

    HELP ME PLEASE.......I want my baby back

--
| "Trust, faith, understanding, reasonableness,& respect have been more|
| effective in tearing down a concrete wall than the barbed wire,      |

andy@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Andy Gray) (03/01/91)

In article <1991Feb27.221113.3677@isc.rit.edu> drp9500@isc.rit.edu (D.R. Paradis ) writes:
>I have an Atari 1040st with a problem....
>
>   It seems that the damn thing wont boot ANYTHING from the floppy
>drive.
             [misc. deleted]

>  ROM chips (TOS 1.0) are fine.  Boots off a hard drive just dandy.
                                              ^^^^^^^^^^
>If I try to boot from a floppy I get a low res screen, and then I open
>drive A and get 0 bytes in 0 sectors EVERY TIME!!!  I get this even if
>there IS stuff on the disk.  Autoboot disks, nope.  Non-GEM disks, nope.
>If I do a show info...lock up.

I get this kind of behavior if I try to boot a floppy when the hard disk is
turned off.  Have you tried disconnecting the hard drive and booting from
floppy, or powering up the drive and pressing the key sequence to initiate a
floppy boot (CTRL-SHIFT-ALT on Supras)?

					-- Andy

      Andy Gray                     andy@jarthur.claremont.edu
      Platt Campus Center           andy@jarthur.UUCP
      Harvey Mudd College           ...uunet!jarthur!andy
      Claremont, CA  91711          agray@HMCVAX.BITNET