[comp.sys.atari.st] Uploaded to Atari.archive

ralph@laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (12/15/90)

For those of you who want the new TeX 3.0 (3.1?) only the binaries were
put onto atari.archive.  This morning I've uploaded the complementary
*.fmt, *.tfm, *.mf, *.vf that are necessary to build TeX, LaTeX, or
SliTeX:

-rw-r--r--  1 ralph      547195 Dec 11 16:37 formats.lzh
-rw-r--r--  1 ralph      138928 Dec 11 17:10 mfbfonts.lzh
-rw-r--r--  1 ralph      577178 Dec 11 17:31 mffonts1.lzh
-rw-r--r--  1 ralph      355327 Dec 11 17:35 mffonts2.lzh
-rw-r--r--  1 ralph      209420 Dec 11 16:58 mfpandor.lzh
-rw-r--r--  1 ralph      342243 Dec 11 16:14 tfmfonts.lzh
-rw-r--r--  1 ralph      100562 Dec 11 16:16 vf_fonts.lzh

Some of the file names are longer than 11 characters within these
files, so they will have to be handled carefully.

I would have also uploaded the following, which includes latex.tex:

-rw-r--r--  1 ralph      377144 Dec 11 16:35 inputs.lzh

except for the fact that lharc can make it, but neither lharc on my ST
nor on my SPARC can test or extract the archive.  It seems that lharc
is *STILL* bugged.

Cheers and enjoy,

--
Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
ralph@laas.fr				   Addresses are ordered by importance.

ralph@laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (12/17/90)

In article <RALPH.90Dec14170435@orion.laas.fr> I wrote:
|    I would have also uploaded the following, which includes latex.tex:
|
|    -rw-r--r--  1 ralph      377144 Dec 11 16:35 inputs.lzh
|
|    except for the fact that lharc can make it, but neither lharc on my ST
|    nor on my SPARC can test or extract the archive.  It seems that lharc
|    is *STILL* bugged.

It seems that we had two versions of lharc on my SPARC, both "C-LHarc
for UNIX Version 1.00 (C) 1989-1990 Y.Tagawa, Kai Uwe Rommel".  The
second had a NULL file patch.  Now it works at least under Unix(tm).

So, now I've uploaded inputs.lzh:

-rw-r--r--  1 ralph      376570 Dec 17 14:50 inputs.lzh

I have also uploaded Claus Brod's <csbrod@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de>
CHECKHD which I've uploaded as chkhd81.lzh.  He just sent it to me and
asked me to upload it to atari.archive.

Cheers to all!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,

--
Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
ralph@laas.fr				   Addresses are ordered by importance.
ralph@laas.uucp, or ...!uunet!laas!ralph
If all else fails, try:				      sobek@eclair.Berkeley.EDU
Proud new owner of a Mega 4 ST.  What should I do with my *small* SH204 drive?

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (12/18/90)

I have lots of TeX software, "The TeXbook", Leslie Lamport's book and some
related goodies.  What I don't have is a handy TeX guru.  Everything is
difficult, and not everything makes sense.  It would be a great help if there
was some guide available to starting out with TeX and METAFONT on your own.
Is there one?  Any pointers?
                                    Steve J    saj@chinet.chi.il.us

ralph@laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (12/19/90)

There are always the TeX books :-) even if they're a bit expensive.  I
believe that there's a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) that's posted
to comp.text.tex.

Good luck!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!!

--

pegram@kira.UUCP (Robert B. Pegram) (12/20/90)

From article <1990Dec18.144413.26174@chinet.chi.il.us>,
by saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs):

> I have lots of TeX software, "The TeXbook", Leslie Lamport's book and some
> related goodies.  What I don't have is a handy TeX guru.  Everything is
> difficult, and not everything makes sense.  It would be a great help if there
> was some guide available to starting out with TeX and METAFONT on your own.
> Is there one?  Any pointers?
>                                     Steve J    saj@chinet.chi.il.us

I second the motion, but in my case, I'm also interested in getting
the best current set of TeX programs.  The multitude of ports, and
versions, and sub programs (e.g. showdvi, LaTeX) is confusing me, and
I can't afford to keep copies of everything and then figure out what
combination works (it would probably fill 20Meg easily 8-).  I'd like
to read a good intro before FTPing and shelling out for the other books.
thanks,

Bob Pegram

pegram@griffin.uvm.edu
or
...!uvm-gen!pegram

Yonderboy@cup.portal.com (Christopher Lee Russell) (12/26/90)

I'm in the same boat as the other posters in this thread.. I have am not
sure what the Showdvi and Metafont programs are... There are tons of support
files and I don't know what all of them are..  I have heard of TeX and have
an idea of what it is and am very interested..  Could somebody leave a
breif description (or better yet a long (-: description) of  some of this
stuff?             ........yonderboy@cup.portal.com

drp9500@isc.rit.edu (D.R. Paradis ) (03/02/91)

   I just recently u/l the following to the atari.archive

   RAINYNIT.ARC - Noisetracker .MOD file.  AWESOME stereo file!!!
                  A must get if you have an STe!!  File plays for aporx
                  5 min before it cycles!!!! (no kidding)

as promised.......

   OXYGEN.ARC - ollie & roll's digitized sound demo of Jarre's Oxygen
(disco version of course)  1 meg req. DS disk.  Self running, just
un-arc & go.

   WIND_UP.ARC - ollie & roll hit it again with Saga's "Wind Him Up"
                 1 meg req. DS disk.  self running, just un-arc & go.

--
| "Trust, faith, understanding, reasonableness,& respect have been more|
| effective in tearing down a concrete wall than the barbed wire,      |