[comp.sys.atari.st] mouse button problem

lloyd@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk (Phil Lloyd) (02/22/91)

I'm sure this is not a new problem, but it's new to me and perhaps someone can
help.

The mouse supplied with my Atari ST has started to play up.  The problem's with
the left-hand button, which more often than not doesn't respond.  Pushing
harder can make it work, but double clicking is just about impossible.

The microswitch itself works fine, as the mouse can be operated without its
cover, and no problems occur.  Also, the button mechanics in the top of the
mouse look OK as far as I can tell.

This leads me to believe some misalignment has developed between the plastic
bit you press, and the switch itself.

Does anyone have any experience of such a problem, and (I hope) know of a
solution?

Email responses would be fine.

Thanks

Phil Lloyd
lloyd@prl.philips.co.uk

eudyeudy@bluemoon.uucp (Scott Eudy) (02/26/91)

lloyd@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk (Phil Lloyd) writes:

> I'm sure this is not a new problem, but it's new to me and perhaps someone ca
> help.
>
> The mouse supplied with my Atari ST has started to play up.  The problem's wi
> the left-hand button, which more often than not doesn't respond.  Pushing
> harder can make it work, but double clicking is just about impossible.
>
> The microswitch itself works fine, as the mouse can be operated without its
> cover, and no problems occur.  Also, the button mechanics in the top of the
> mouse look OK as far as I can tell.
>
> This leads me to believe some misalignment has developed between the plastic
> bit you press, and the switch itself.
>
> Does anyone have any experience of such a problem, and (I hope) know of a
> solution?
>
> Email responses would be fine.
>
> Thanks
>
> Phil Lloyd

I have also had this problem with my ST mouse....one way I fixed it ws to
take it apart a
and where the micro switch is glue a small piece of plastic from a model
on the switch or the rod coming out of the left mouse side. There might
also be a problem that the case isn't down tight enough on the mouse so
tighten up the screws first and see if it is snapped down before you glue
anything on to it..

                                Hope this helps

Scott D. Eudy
Vice President Explorer Post 891
eudyeudy@bluemoon.uucp

All opinions are mine, not yours!

014102@sheoak.bcae.oz (Andrew Knipe) (03/03/91)

In article <4eqXX2w163w@bluemoon.uucp> lloyd@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk
(Phil Loyd) writes:

> I'm sure this is not a new problem, but it's new to me and perhaps someone ca
> help.
>
> The mouse supplied with my Atari ST has started to play up.  The problem's wi
> the left-hand button, which more often than not doesn't respond.  Pushing
> harder can make it work, but double clicking is just about impossible.
>
> The microswitch itself works fine, as the mouse can be operated without its
> cover, and no problems occur.  Also, the button mechanics in the top of the
> mouse look OK as far as I can tell.

I had the same problem about two years ago (caused by too much Dungeon
Master play I think) but my mouse was revived and is working perfectly
to this day.

Simply spray a VERY small amount of WD-40 on the top of the offending
micro-switch.  Problem solved! {I have done this twice (once on my mouse
and once on a friend's which had developed the same problem).  WD-40 is
an Australian product, but if you can find some stuff with a long, thin
applicator tube and advertising to the effect of "Starts Wet Motors,
Loosens Rusted Parts, Lubricates - Protects, Stops Squeaks" that might
be the equivalent in your country.

Hope that helps.

( This is not an advertisement. )