[comp.sys.atari.st] Upgrade?

dam@castle.ed.ac.uk (D.MacGregor) (02/25/91)

I own an Atari St with a measly 520K RAM and would like to upgrade it to
1040K but at the present i cant afford the slot in RAM boards that are
available. So, what i was wondering is there a cheaper DIY method that i
can use? I had a look inside the ole ST the other day and noticed that
there are 4 available spaces for DRAM chips!!

Right, what i need to know is, has anyone out there upgraded their ST
themselves and if successfully could they let me know how they did it. I
need to know what type of chips to buy and how to go about inserting
them....

I can handle a soldering iron so that should be no problem, im just
scared of sending my trusty ST into orbit when i switch it on after
attempting to upgrade it!

Any info, hints, tips, hatemail greatly appreciated..

Thanx,

Donald

eudyeudy@bluemoon.uucp (Scott Eudy) (03/01/91)

> Right, what i need to know is, has anyone out there upgraded their ST
> themselves and if successfully could they let me know how they did it. I
> need to know what type of chips to buy and how to go about inserting
> them....
>
> I can handle a soldering iron so that should be no problem, im just
> scared of sending my trusty ST into orbit when i switch it on after
> attempting to upgrade it!
>
> Any info, hints, tips, hatemail greatly appreciated..
>
> Thanx,
>
> Donald

        The chips for the upgrade aren't that expensive to buy for the
ST you need 14 of them I believe and they run you from 2.00-4.00 bucks
each...Also you had better check what type of board you got...ther are
3 different kinds for the 520...
        1) you can only piggyback the chips on top of each other
        this one requires alot of work..and a steady hand

        2) the holes are pre drilled into the board and yuo have to
        use a deslodering Iron then stick the chips in and solder them
        back in (this is what I have)

        3)the 1040/520 board that all you do is plug in the chips and
        solder in the resistors

        I personally am geting mine upgrade to a meg for $100.00
including parts and labor since it takes a lot of work to solder the chips
in and when I figured it out it was only 45 dollars in labor
which wasnt bad
                                hope this helps out a little bit

Scott D. Eudy
Vice President Explorer Post 891
eudyeudy@bluemoon.uucp

| I own an Atari ST and you don't | Give me a million dollars            |
|                                 | and I'll be rich                     |
| "This space for rent"           | Give me two million and I'll         |
| contact eudyeudy@bluemoon.uucp  | retire form Big Bear!                |

wmagro@roma.uiuc.edu (William Magro) (03/01/91)

In article <8704@castle.ed.ac.uk>, dam@castle.ed.ac.uk (D.MacGregor) writes:

|> I own an Atari St with a measly 520K RAM and would like to upgrade it to
|> 1040K but at the present i cant afford the slot in RAM boards that are
|> available. So, what i was wondering is there a cheaper DIY method that i
|> can use? I had a look inside the ole ST the other day and noticed that
|> there are 4 available spaces for DRAM chips!!
|>
|> Right, what i need to know is, has anyone out there upgraded their ST
|> themselves and if successfully could they let me know how they did it. I
|> need to know what type of chips to buy and how to go about inserting
|> them....

I took a 1040STf (revision c, with ram UNDER the power supply) and upgraded
it from 1024K to 2.5M in about 4hours for about $80.  I used two 1M SIMMs,
1 resistor and a bunch of short pieces of wire.  You can go from 512 to
1024 by just dropping in 16 more of the dram chips you already have, but
2.5M is much nicer.  Should I post a pin mapping (SIMM to motherboard)?

Memorably,
Bill Magro

roulston@watserv1.waterloo.edu (James Parker) (03/02/91)

In article <1991Mar1.121834.22722@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> wmagro@roma.uiuc.edu (William Magro) writes:
>I took a 1040STf (revision c, with ram UNDER the power supply) and upgraded
>it from 1024K to 2.5M in about 4hours for about $80.  I used two 1M SIMMs,
>1 resistor and a bunch of short pieces of wire.  You can go from 512 to
>1024 by just dropping in 16 more of the dram chips you already have, but
>2.5M is much nicer.  Should I post a pin mapping (SIMM to motherboard)?

I wish you would post a summary (or at least email it to me)
on how to upgrade a 1040 without a daughterboard. Right now the
board costs more than the RAM!!!
There is lots of info about on upgrading 520's but nothing much on
how to go from 1Meg to 2.5M.

thanx
james

wmagro@roma.uiuc.edu (William Magro) (03/02/91)

In article <1991Mar1.181631.27450@watserv1.waterloo.edu>, roulston@watserv1.waterloo.edu (James Parker) writes:
|> In article <1991Mar1.121834.22722@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> wmagro@roma.uiuc.edu (William Magro) writes:
|>
|> I wish you would post a summary (or at least email it to me)
|> on how to upgrade a 1040 without a daughterboard. Right now the
|> board costs more than the RAM!!!
|> There is lots of info about on upgrading 520's but nothing much on
|> how to go from 1Meg to 2.5M.
|>
|> thanx
|> james

If you have info on upgrading a 520 from .5 to 2.5, then this is all
you need.  I had a 1040St and a pair of wire cutters, and it was
a 520 in no time! *:^)  From there it was a .5->2.5 project.

If the info you speak of is a .5->1M upgrade for the 520, then that
is a different story.  You'll need my info.

I was going to put some time into doing a nice writeup of the project
and then release the document as shareware.  It is so hard to hoard
info though, so I may just post it here.

Bill Magro
wmagro@roma.physics.uiuc.edu

baffoni@aludra.usc.edu (Juxtaposer) (03/03/91)

In article <1991Mar1.121834.22722@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> wmagro@roma.uiuc.edu (William Magro) writes:
>1024 by just dropping in 16 more of the dram chips you already have, but
>2.5M is much nicer.  Should I post a pin mapping (SIMM to motherboard)?
	Please do!

>Memorably,
>Bill Magro

-Mike

rcarter@isis.cs.du.edu (Ron Carter) (03/04/91)

Bill, please post the connections for using SIMMS (are they 1Mx8 or 1Mx9?)
to upgrade a 1040 to 2.5M...
Thanks, Ron. (Memorably... Hee...)
BTW, tried to mail direct but got bounced...

--
Ron Carter | rcarter@nyx.cs.du.edu  rcarter GEnie  70707.3047 CIS
  Director | Center for the Study of Creative Intelligence

wolf@fb14vax.sbsvax.uucp (Wolfgang Huwig) (03/04/91)

In article <1991Mar4.062253.24876@isis.cs.du.edu> rcarter@isis.cs.du.edu (Ron Carter) writes:

>   Bill, please post the connections for using SIMMS (are they 1Mx8 or 1Mx9?)
>   to upgrade a 1040 to 2.5M...
>   Thanks, Ron. (Memorably... Hee...)
>   BTW, tried to mail direct but got bounced...

Me too, me too!
Sorry for crying so loud, but my mail bounced, too.
Nevertheless, Bill's upgrade seems to be a really cheap alternative
to the common DRAM-based memory upgrades I know of, therefore there
should be some public interest.
Thanks in advance,
Wolfgang

| Wolfgang Huwig       CS Dept./AI Lab       University of Saarland |
| Internet: wolf@cs.uni-sb.de | This space intentionally left blank |