[comp.sys.atari.st] Newer version of Timeworks Desktop Publisher?

tdrga@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Todd Drga) (02/23/91)

I have a copy of Timeworks Desktop Publisher, ver 1.10.  I was wondering
if there is a newer version out there.  The copy I have is (c) 1987, so
I assume there may have been upgrades.  I haven't heard anything from
Timeworks since I sent in my registration card.

Please e-mail replies, I'll summarize if the need arises.

Thanks,

Todd Drga

--
=  INTERNET-> tdrga@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu   (Todd Drga, UT Dept. of Drama)      =
= '  Pleasure leaves a fingerprint                                           =

neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) (02/27/91)

In article <44580@ut-emx.uucp> tdrga@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Todd Drga) writes:
#I have a copy of Timeworks Desktop Publisher, ver 1.10.  I was wondering
#if there is a newer version out there.  The copy I have is (c) 1987, so
#I assume there may have been upgrades.  I haven't heard anything from
#Timeworks since I sent in my registration card.

There is another version, 1.12, which supports Postscript output to disk but
there are none after that. Usual Atari vendor support!

I would have emailed but there's not much else to say.

#=  INTERNET-> tdrga@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu   (Todd Drga, UT Dept. of Drama)      =

! DISCLAIMER:Unless otherwise stated, the above comments are entirely my own !
!                                                                            !
! Neil Forsyth                      JANET:  neil@uk.ac.hw.cs                 !
! Dept. of Computer Science         ARPA:   neil@cs.hw.ac.uk                 !
! Heriot-Watt University            UUCP:   ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!neil          !
! Edinburgh, Scotland, UK           "That was never 5 minutes!"              !

grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Graham S Thomas) (03/02/91)

From article <2393@odin.cs.hw.ac.uk>, by neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth):
> In article <44580@ut-emx.uucp> tdrga@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Todd Drga) writes:
> #I have a copy of Timeworks Desktop Publisher, ver 1.10.  I was wondering
> #if there is a newer version out there.  The copy I have is (c) 1987, so
> #I assume there may have been upgrades.  I haven't heard anything from
> #Timeworks since I sent in my registration card.
>
> There is another version, 1.12, which supports Postscript output to disk but
> there are none after that. Usual Atari vendor support!

This is both right and wrong.  Electric Distribution (or GST, or
Softline, or whatever name they're using for this purpose) have just
last month (Feb 91) issued an update.  Confusingly, this is still
version 1.12, but they're officially calling it v1.h12.

There are no amazing new features.  TT support is added, and allegedly
the installation procedure works better.  Various unspecified bugs are
said to have been fixed.  Pressing 'esc' now redraws the screen.  I
haven't yet tested whether the 12pt Dutch font for the Atari laser
printer now prints questionmarks properly.  Oh, and multiple copies are
supposed to print properly now.

Anyway, the upgrade is available from GST/Electric/Softline in the UK
for 8.95 pounds (or 4.95 if you're a Softline member).  You need to send
in your old master disks.

First Word Plus (written by the same outfit) has also been upgraded, to
version 3.20TT, and is available at the same price.  Again, it's mainly
TT compatibility and bug fixes, but you can now choose whether to have a
flashing or a steady cursor, hyphenation has been improved by the
addition of an exceptions dictionary, and scrolling speed is faster.

Graham

--
Graham Thomas, SPRU, Mantell Building, U of Sussex, Brighton, BN1 9RF, UK
 INTERNET: grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk   JANET: grahamt@uk.ac.sussex.syma

neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) (03/05/91)

In article <4615@syma.sussex.ac.uk> grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk
(Graham S Thomas) writes:
>(WRT Timeworks)
>Anyway, the upgrade is available from GST/Electric/Softline in the UK
>for 8.95 pounds (or 4.95 if you're a Softline member).  You need to send
>in your old master disks.

Thanks for the info Graham! I was totally unaware of this update because I
was at a severe disadvantage: Our copy is registered, we're Softline members
and I wrote to them. Again 'Usual Atari vendor support'.

>Graham Thomas, SPRU, Mantell Building, U of Sussex, Brighton, BN1 9RF, UK
> INTERNET: grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk   JANET: grahamt@uk.ac.sussex.syma
> BITNET: grahamt%sussex.syma@UKACRL    UUCP: grahamt%sussex.syma@ukc.uucp
> Phone: +44 273 678165                 Fax: +44 273 685865

! DISCLAIMER:Unless otherwise stated, the above comments are entirely my own !
! Neil Forsyth                      JANET:  neil@uk.ac.hw.cs                 !
! Dept. of Computer Science         ARPA:   neil@cs.hw.ac.uk                 !
! Heriot-Watt University            UUCP:   ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!neil          !
! Edinburgh, Scotland, UK           "That was never 5 disks!"                !