[comp.sys.atari.st] NeoDesk 3.01 question/bug?

SAMcinty@exua.exeter.ac.uk (Scott McIntyre) (02/28/91)

I recently received NeoDesk 3.01 for my STE and have noticed an
odd behaviour, I don't know if this is planned, I can't find
any explanations in the docs....any help appreciated:

NeoDesk in A: and some other disk in B:, if I play around with something
in B:, then quit to the desktop, and close all the windows for B: then
eject the disk and put in another one, then double click on B:, it seems
to read from the disk (light goes on) but displays the OLD B:'s directory,
or sometimes it just shows up a bunch of files with garbage characters
for filenames.

Anyone have any idea why this happens?  I can correct it by typing
escape once I have the B: root window open, then it behaves as normal...

Running on a 4meg 520ste, if that matters.

Scott

felner@iiic.ethz.ch (Tomas Felner) (03/02/91)

Another question about NeoDesk 3. The manual says, I think, that arbitrarily
many icons can be added to the icon library used by Neodesk. However, I
experienced a limit of 100 icons maximun. Anyone else noticed this?
Is this a memory problem? Or is just the manual incorrect?

Tomas Felner, felner@iiic.ethz.ch

mathew@mwowm.mantis.co.uk (mathew) (03/03/91)

In <1184@exua.exeter.ac.uk>, Scott McIntyre writes:
> NeoDesk in A: and some other disk in B:, if I play around with something
> in B:, then quit to the desktop, and close all the windows for B: then
> eject the disk and put in another one, then double click on B:, it seems
> to read from the disk (light goes on) but displays the OLD B:'s directory,
> or sometimes it just shows up a bunch of files with garbage characters
> for filenames.

What did you use to format the disks?  If you use some super deluxe whizzo
formatter, it's possible that the formatter doesn't put a proper volume
serial number on the disk, and that the machine therefore didn't notice
the disk had been changed.

mathew

grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Graham S Thomas) (03/05/91)

From article <26464@neptune.inf.ethz.ch>, by felner@iiic.ethz.ch (Tomas Felner):
> Another question about NeoDesk 3. The manual says, I think, that arbitrarily
> many icons can be added to the icon library used by Neodesk. However, I
> experienced a limit of 100 icons maximun. Anyone else noticed this?
> Is this a memory problem? Or is just the manual incorrect?
>
> Tomas Felner, felner@iiic.ethz.ch

This is just from memory, but I think each icon takes up about 300 bytes
of RAM.  I can't remember reading anything about a limit, other than of
memory, although there *is* a limit on the number of icons which can be
placed on the desktop.  I don't remember what that is, sorry, but it's
been increased for version 3.

Graham
--
Graham Thomas, SPRU, Mantell Building, U of Sussex, Brighton, BN1 9RF, UK
 INTERNET: grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk   JANET: grahamt@uk.ac.sussex.syma