[comp.sys.atari.st] Canon BJ10 vs. HP DeskJet 500

bobw@hpsad.HP.COM (Bob Waltenspiel) (03/02/91)

In comp.sys.atari.st, kawakami@ocf.berkeley.edu (John Kawakami) writes:

>        Canon BJ-10     v.      HP DeskJet 500

>The problem is: I'm running in ST mode (w/GDOS) and in Mac (via Spectre
>GCR) and I need to know about the availability of printer drivers for
>these printers.  Basically, if the Canon has a drivers, I'll get it.

There is a product by HP that may be what you want.  It's called
MacPrint and is some software and a cable to allow a Mac to talk to a
DeskJet.  You won't want the cable, but the software may work.  I
don't have any kind of Mac emulator so I can't verify it.  It's part
number is 35177A.

Has anyone ever tried this?  Someday, if I ever get a Mac emulator, I
would try this.

I know there's a GDOS driver by Miagraph(sp?) for the DJ.

>Which should I get?  The Canon or the HP:

*I* think you should get the HP, but I'm probably biased :-).

>PS: any comments are appreciated.

-Bob "Hoping I don't offend anyone"

johns@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Conan the Barbarian) (03/06/91)

	I have a friend who has a Stacy and a BJ10.  He likes it a whole
lot.  He does a newsletter for a user group with it.  The cartridge that
he got with the machine lasted him several months (3 or 4, not sure) and
printed beautifully until it died.  When he got a new ink cartridge, he
had problems with one pin not printing, and then it wouldn't stop so that
the effect was a bunch of very thin lines through a page.

	Another friend preferred the Atari laser printer.  Has
anyone ever compared the output of these two printers printing the same
page?  I'd like to see if they can both handle printing all the same
fills.

--
John Schmitt
johns@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca