[comp.sys.atari.st] HP DESKJET DRIVERS

csuac@warwick.ac.uk (The Juggler) (03/01/91)

To anyone with a Deskjet printer

I own a 1 meg St system and am looking to buy a respectable printer. The
deskjet seems to be the best bet but I am concerned as to the availability of
printer drivers for this machine. I will be using packages such as Calamus,
1st Word+, Degas, Deluxe Paint. Do you know if HP Deskjet drivers exist for
these packages and do you have any information on a plug in Epson card for the
deskjet that makes it Epson LQ compatible.
One other thing. I have only read a review on the new Deskjet 500. Do you know
what the difference is between this model and the two before it, the original
deskjet and the deskjet+. There seems to be an alarming price difference and I
am worried there will be an alarming performance difference as well.

Would appreciate any help you can give.

        - Paul -

Mail me at : juggler@uk.ac.warwick.cs

andy@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Andy Gray) (03/02/91)

In article <*V?&*=+@warwick.ac.uk> csuac@warwick.ac.uk (The Juggler) writes:

>I own a 1 meg St system and am looking to buy a respectable printer. The
>deskjet seems to be the best bet but I am concerned as to the availability of
>printer drivers for this machine. I will be using packages such as Calamus,
>1st Word+, Degas, Deluxe Paint. Do you know if HP Deskjet drivers exist for
>these packages and do you have any information on a plug in Epson card for the
>deskjet that makes it Epson LQ compatible.

I have a Deskjet 500, and printer drivers haven't been a problem for me.
The primary applications that I use with my Deskjet are Word Perfect (which
supports the Deskjet fine) and Easy Draw (which works WONDERFULLY with the
Deskjet).  For Easy Draw, I ended up buying a GDOS driver directly from
Migraph.  If you want to print to a Deskjet from a GDOS application, I would
recommend looking into this driver.  It's fast, seems pretty robust, and the
output looks great.

As for your other applications, I can't say for sure, but I wouldn't think
it would be a problem.  Calamus supports lots of high-end output devices, so
I imagine the Deskjet would be included.  If there isn't one for 1st Word+,
I'm sure that you could create one pretty easily.  I haven't needed a driver
for Degas yet, but if I do I plan to create one with Tom Hudson's Printer
Driver Construction Set.  I can't comment on Deluxe Paint.

As you say, you can get an Epson emulation cartridge.  It retails for around
$50 (I think) and lets the Deskjet respond to Epson FX commands.  If you
really can't get or build a Deskjet driver for a particular application, you
could go this route.

>One other thing. I have only read a review on the new Deskjet 500. Do you know
>what the difference is between this model and the two before it, the original
>deskjet and the deskjet+. There seems to be an alarming price difference and I
>am worried there will be an alarming performance difference as well.

The Deskjet 500 is quite a bit faster than previous models, has a
newly-engineered ink (water-resistant, unlike previous inks), and has more
built-in fonts than the Deskjet and Deskjet Plus.  If you want to buy a
Deskjet, I would recommend that you go with the Deskjet 500.  They can be
had for $450 - $500.

					-- Andy

      Andy Gray                     andy@jarthur.claremont.edu
      Platt Campus Center           andy@jarthur.UUCP
      Harvey Mudd College           ...uunet!jarthur!andy
      Claremont, CA  91711          agray@HMCVAX.BITNET

fortinp@bwdls56.bnr.ca (Pierre Fortin) (03/04/91)

In article <*V?&*=+@warwick.ac.uk>, csuac@warwick.ac.uk (The Juggler) writes:
> To anyone with a Deskjet printer
>
> I own a 1 meg St system and am looking to buy a respectable printer. The
> deskjet seems to be the best bet but I am concerned as to the availability of
> printer drivers for this machine. I will be using packages such as Calamus,
> 1st Word+, Degas, Deluxe Paint. Do you know if HP Deskjet drivers exist for
> these packages and do you have any information on a plug in Epson card for the
> deskjet that makes it Epson LQ compatible.

I have the original DJ, but I don't run the programs you list; but DJ drivers
*do* exist (WordPerfect for one...).  I also have the Epson cart., but I should
have saved my money:  if you want to DEgrade the DJ to Epson "quality", then
have I got a deal for you...  :^)

> One other thing. I have only read a review on the new Deskjet 500. Do you know
> what the difference is between this model and the two before it, the original
> deskjet and the deskjet+. There seems to be an alarming price difference and I
> am worried there will be an alarming performance difference as well.

You're right about the alarming price/performance:  I *wish* I'd waited... :^(

>         - Paul -
Cheers,
Pierre

Cheers,
Pierre Fortin       fortinp@bnr.ca         (613)763-2598

prma@tukki.jyu.fi (Petri R M Alanko) (03/05/91)

Again, if somebody knows where to get one from, just drop me a note...

prma

GERLOFF@tubvm.cs.tu-berlin.de (Olaf Gerloff) (03/06/91)

In article <*V?&*=+@warwick.ac.uk>, csuac@warwick.ac.uk (The Juggler) says:

>To anyone with a Deskjet printer

Hello Paul!

>I own a 1 meg St system and am looking to buy a respectable printer. The
>deskjet seems to be the best bet but I am concerned as to the availability of
>printer drivers for this machine. I will be using packages such as Calamus,
>1st Word+, Degas, Deluxe Paint. Do you know if HP Deskjet drivers exist for
>these packages and do you have any information on a plug in Epson card for the
>deskjet that makes it Epson LQ compatible.

I didn't use any of these packages, but you can try the driver for the
HP-LaserJet. It will work with the DeskJet 500 until it requires special
features of a laser-printer (fontdownload, free--positioning of objects (which
would require a reverse paper-transport, that didn't work on the DeskJet)
and any other thing that requires to construct the page first complete in RAM
before it can be printed).
The only Epson emulation card from HP, which I know, emulates the obsolete
9-pin FX series printers.

>One other thing. I have only read a review on the new Deskjet 500. Do you know
>what the difference is between this model and the two before it, the original
>deskjet and the deskjet+. There seems to be an alarming price difference and I
>am worried there will be an alarming performance difference as well.

First of all the DeskJet+ has more fonts than the DeskJet and the DeskJet 500
has more fonts than the DeskJet+. These are Courier, Letter Gothic and CG Times
for printing in portrait and landscape mode. Second there are font cards that
you can't use with the older printers. Third I think the speed has been
improved for text and graphics mode. I personally use my DeskJet 500 with a
german TeX implementation and will be very happy with the speed (My old 24-pin
dot matrix printer needed 15 minutes to print a page in high quality, the
Deskjet 500 did it in 60 seconds :-)).

I hope this will help you

Greetings, Olaf
-------
* Olaf Gerloff                      * Internet: GERLOFF@tubvm.cs.tu-berlin.de *
* Technical University Berlin (FRG) * BITNET  : GERLOFF@DB0TUI11              *
*               Impossible things will be executed immediately,               *
*                       miracles take a little longer!                        *

rrd@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Ray Depew) (03/06/91)

One more time, folks:

DeskJet drivers for GDOS (that's Degas Elite, MSWord, EasyDraw and tons of
other applications) are available for about US$50 from:

	MiGraph, Inc.
	200 S. 333 Street
	Suite 220
	Federal Way, WA 98003
	U.S.A

	phone (206)838-4677

The MiGraph DeskJet drivers work very well, and MiGraph provides excellent
support.  Tell them I sent you.

Regards
Ray Depew
HP ICBD -- IC's by Bill and Dave
rrd@hpfitst1.hp.com
DISCLAIMER:  I'm not an official HP spokesman; I only work here.