[comp.sys.atari.st] Problems with MiNT

rome@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (60380000) (03/05/91)

When running MiNT under Gulam, I am having a problem with breaking out
of programs.  Nothing happens when I press CTRL-Z or ALT-CTRL-Z.  I have
checked to see that MiNT is installed by pressing ALT-CTRL-F5 to see
if it worked and it did.  Any help?

Thank you.

Roman Baker
University of California, Santa Cruz

7103_2622@uwovax.uwo.ca (Eric Smith) (03/06/91)

> When running MiNT under Gulam, I am having a problem with breaking out
> of programs.  Nothing happens when I press CTRL-Z or ALT-CTRL-Z.  I have
> checked to see that MiNT is installed by pressing ALT-CTRL-F5 to see
> if it worked and it did.  Any help?

Are you using the supplied init.prg? By default, programs ignore the
SIGTSTP signal generated by CTRL-Z. Only if you have a shell that
understands job control (e.g. the sample init.prg, or bash) will
(ALT-)CTRL-Z work. Also, programs compiled knowing about MiNT may still
decide to ignore those keys (although they shouldn't :-).
--
Eric R. Smith                     email:
Dept. of Mathematics            eric.smith@uwo.ca

rome@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (60380000) (03/07/91)

In article <1991Mar6.000929.8743@uwovax.uwo.ca> 7103_2622@uwovax.uwo.ca (Eric Smith) writes:
>> When running MiNT under Gulam, I am having a problem with breaking out
>> of programs.  Nothing happens when I press CTRL-Z or ALT-CTRL-Z.  I have
>> checked to see that MiNT is installed by pressing ALT-CTRL-F5 to see
>> if it worked and it did.  Any help?

I have been recently told that the reason I couldn't halt programs when
using Gulam was because it redefined the keymap for it's own purposes
so MiNT doesn't see the CTRL-Z.  I have tried the shells MiNTBash and
Ksh but neither of them are as good as Gulam is.  I know that one
can change keyboard mapping in Gulam with teh "kb -m" command.  Can
this be used to help remedy the situation?  If not, are there any shells
that at least have the "ls" command built in so I don't have to run
a separate program to do this simple operation?  Can anyone help me?

Roman Baker
A MiNT and Gulam enthusiast.

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (03/09/91)

rome@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (60380000) writes:
>I have been recently told that the reason I couldn't halt programs when
>using Gulam was because it redefined the keymap for it's own purposes
>so MiNT doesn't see the CTRL-Z.  I have tried the shells MiNTBash and
>Ksh but neither of them are as good as Gulam is.

Gulam is not a good shell to use under MiNT because you can't use it more
than once.  Gulam installs vectors in global places, and, as you've seen,
remaps the keyboard, so it's not friendly in a multi-tasking environment.

For the keyboard problem, try shift-help, which is bound to "keys-reset."
This seems to help.

That "ls" is an external command in some shells isn't such a sin, but if
you hate it you hate it.  It shouldn't be so bad if it comes from a
RAMdisk, and the fast-load bit is set, and the shell hashes the PATH.
"Init" which comes with MiNT doesn't hash the path, which is a real shame.

("Hash the path" means that when you set the path, it reads those
directories once, and then when you type "ls" it looks in memory to decide
what program to run, rather than scanning all the directories in your path
every time you enter a command name.)

Another thing that helps the speed of program execution is having a large
disk cache in GEMDOS (or MiNT, as the case may be).  Run CACHEnnn.PRG with
nnn around 080 to see directory scans and the like speed up a lot.  At
least then the directories being scanned will be in memory, and won't be
read off disk.

Meanwhile, Eric Smith is working on a new release of MiNT, and I'm working
on a new release of some utils, including the shell.  The new features will
include arguments to batch files and (I hope) path hashing.