[comp.sys.atari.st] HEY, YOU!!!!!!!

vsnyder@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Van Snyder) (03/06/91)

In article <0bp3ksq00WAu4HgVQy@andrew.cmu.edu> kc2e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Kathryn Aileen Coonrod) writes:
>2) at LEAST 3 expansion slot, preferable a standard (VME!:-))
                                                      ^^^
VME boards cost about 3-5x ISA (pronounced PC) boards.  Are they enough better
(whatever that means) to justify the $$$ premium?  I'd rather have EISA, so
I can get high performance if I want to spend $$$, or decent performance for $.

>... The TT is a GREAT machine, with good software, and really
>great potential, for $1,000 less! If NeXT can market a very similar
>machine, for $4995, Why can't Atari, an established complany, make some
>of these things into option, and cut this by half?

University bookstores can sell the NeXT PizzaBox '040 to full-time students
and staff for $3100.  But I still think Atari should be able to compete.

--
vsnyder@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov
ames!elroy!jato!vsnyder

rlcollins@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Ryan 'Gozar' Collins) (03/07/91)

In article <0bp3ksq00WAu4HgVQy@andrew.cmu.edu>, kc2e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Kathryn Aileen Coonrod) writes:
> One last thing. There have been several articles in reputable computer
> mags (well, I guess since ...Shopper dropped Atari and Amiga coverage,
> they are not really all that reputable!) about a company that has come
> out with a chip that will allow standard VGA monitors to display 765,000
> colour onscreen, in standard VGA modes up to 1024x768. It will
> supposedly market for less that $100. I want this in the STe! Allan
> Pratt, David Small, SAM TRAMIEL, can you hear me?

What this chip does is not add 765,000 more colors to VGA, but uses an
anti-alais (sp?) method to make it appear there is more color and
resoultion. It does away with any "jaggies" on the screen, and makes
everything smooth. It also does it automatically, without any special
software, so it can be used with you existing software.

Ryan 'Gozar' Collins 	  Question for IBM Users:      rlcollins@miavx1.BITNET
  / || \  The Price!!	      Subdirectory?               R.COLLINS1 on GEnie

jalkio@cc.helsinki.fi (03/10/91)

In article <1991Mar6.015709.21377@jato.jpl.nasa.gov>, vsnyder@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Van Snyder) writes:
> In article <0bp3ksq00WAu4HgVQy@andrew.cmu.edu> kc2e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Kathryn Aileen Coonrod) writes:
>
>>... The TT is a GREAT machine, with good software, and really
>>great potential, for $1,000 less! If NeXT can market a very similar
>>machine, for $4995, Why can't Atari, an established complany, make some
>>of these things into option, and cut this by half?
>
> University bookstores can sell the NeXT PizzaBox '040 to full-time students
> and staff for $3100.  But I still think Atari should be able to compete.

Well, Atari might have some hard time beating the aggressive pricing of
the new NeXTs. (As would just about any other company.) They would also
have to develop the machine from scratch if they wanted to make
something "revolutionary". In my opinion, the TT is basically just a speeded
up ST with better graphics. I hoped it would be something more when it
came out, but since I noticed the new NeXT models and their pricing, I
decided not to stick with the Atari label even if I had had a ST for 5
years. ST is still the most economical MIDI machine, though.

				Jouni Alkio, Helsinki, Finland

carter@cat27.cs.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter) (03/12/91)

As for NeXT, you forget NeXT has some of the most advanced production
facilities in the western Hemisphere.  This kinda of automation/efficiency
makes NeXT machines very affordable, this enables NeXT to make a nice profit
too!

If you ever look at a ATARI motherboard, it looks last minute makeshift
type of manufacturing.

Now if ATARI had access to the kind of production facilities NeXT has you could
probably pick up my MEGA STE for about 250 dollars!

--Gregory