[comp.sys.atari.st] Help!

cbz@mhuxu.UUCP (12/09/86)

Has anyone been successful in running the recently posted programs,
KALKLOCK.ACC or eternal.prg on a 520ST with TOS in RAM?  I'm having
trouble and I'd like to figure out if the problem is in my hardware,
my software or my head.

                                                 Thanks in Advance,
                                                      C. Ziemer
                                                      mhuxu!cbz

hi2cah@sdcc13.ucsd.EDU (John "Tushie" Ogawa) (05/08/87)

<<< 8'en thank you. Urp! >>>

Help! I'm *almost* done with my do-most-of-what-you-want-it-
to-do-except-one-thing desk accessory, except, I've run into a
problem. I use a Resource file, since the dialogs I use are fairly
involved. I created the .rsc file with Kuma-Resource. BUT, I found
that you can only have one Resource in memory at once (kinda dumb,
just name them and let you have lots I say). So, if I want to run
any application that uses a Resource file, then I have to use
rsrc_free() and give up my resource. It works fine that way, but
every time I want to use the desk accessory I have to load the .rsc
file in again! Anoying! So, I want to write my object tree into my
code instead of keeping a .rsc file. Larger, I know, but faster. The
problem here is that K-Resource does not have a code output option
(one of my only complaints, but a big one). So, not wanting to make
a huge dialog by hand, I am writing to ask if anyone has info on:
	- the structure (exact) of the .rsc files that
	  K-Resource puts out.
	- the structure of .rsc files in general (may not be
	  different from above).
	- any program to uncode a .rsc file
  I know that the coordinates in a .rsc file must be modified, I have
routines to do that. I just need to read the file and write a
program to translate it into C code.
  The faster I can solve this problem, the faster I get this stupid
thing out into the world.
  As an aside, writing this desk accessory has taught me a LOT about
GEM, the ST, and programming both.
  Ah, and just to tantilize (maybe) you, the features in the DA as
of this writing are:
	- set key click, bell on/off, double click rate
	- set screen colors to one of 3 combinations
	- shows free RAM
	- shows date
	- RS232 flush
	- coldboot
	- set date/time with minimal effort (I am lazy)
	- sets time from IKBD clock on re-boot if IKBD is
	  set to later than 1981, otherwise it asks you for
	  date and gets from file attributes first. Either
	  way it sets TOS clock.
	- set verify on/off
	- set seek rate
  That is probably what it will end up being. I am still pkaying with
the date setting, but everything else works. It is around 8K now,
plus 6K for the .rsc file.

AtDhVaAnNkCsE

John Ogawa

GEnie: TUSHIE
NET: ps136sag@sdcc13.ucsd.edu <or> ...ucbvax!sdcsvax!sdcc13!ps136sag

PLEASE SEND MAIL TO ADDRESS ABOVE!

eectrsma@titan.UUCP (Steve Achenson) (05/21/87)

Hi there,

I recently posted an article about getting help with the various coding
and decoding schemes, moreover Dumas uu*code etc. I accidently forgot
(or .sig didn't work) to include my .sig file so here it is, I hope.
And sorry for any trouble caused. Thanks again.

					steve acheson

Steve Acheson, Cal State Univ, Northridge Comp Sci Department
uucp: {sdcrdcf, ihnp4, hplabs, ttidca, psivax, csustan}!csun!absedsma
--
Steve Acheson, Cal State Univ, Northridge Comp Sci Department
uucp: {sdcrdcf, ihnp4, hplabs, ttidca, psivax, csustan}!csun!absedsma

engst@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Adam C. Engst) (12/13/87)

   I was just working happily along on a philosophy paper when I decided to
save my work (that generally being a useful function of computers).  All of
sudden, it said that the drive wasn't responding and continued to maintain
that stance, no matter what I did.  Occassionally I can boot a disk, but I
can't run programs or even copy my files onto an IBM formatted disk.
Needless to say, this is close to the absolute worst moment for my drive to
die since I have 25 pages of writing to hand in in four days (I can do it on
the Mac at work but I'm not happy about it).
   So, I need information on several items.  Has anyone had this problem
before and found a simple fix (I have 1040 with no external drives)?  I
could open it up and check internal connections, but I have a feeling that
won't help.  Also, what is the policy on repairs direct from Atari
(NEIL????)?  The only dealer in town (and the only one within a three or
four hour drive) just went out of business (Thanks to the new marketing
strategy, the Megas and some other circumstances) so I don't really have a
local alternative unless someone knows of a dealer that does repairs
somewhere near Ithaca, New York (could you check your dealer list Neil?)?
How long can I expect this to take?  (I don't need it absolutely over winter
break, but I would really like to have it as soon as possible.)  Does anyone
have an idea on how much a drive repair would cost, since the warranty is
certainly used up?  Does anyone have any consoling words?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                   Thanks for any help . . .
                                        Adam Engst

engst@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
pv9y@cornella.bitnet

neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) (12/15/87)

In article <3162@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, engst@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Adam C. Engst) writes:

>    I was just working happily along on a philosophy paper when I decided to
> save my work (that generally being a useful function of computers).  All of
> sudden, it said that the drive wasn't responding and continued to maintain
> that stance, no matter what I did.

Sounds like the proverbial "loose chips" problem.  Open up the 1040, press
down on all the socketed chips, and chances are your drive will magically
start working.

--
--->Neil Harris, Director of Marketing Communications, Atari Corporation
UUCP: ...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (12/18/87)

In article <907@atari.UUCP> neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) writes:
>Sounds like the proverbial "loose chips" problem.  Open up the 1040, press
>down on all the socketed chips, and chances are your drive will magically
>start working.

I have not had this problem, but I wonder, would it be a good idea to
press down all the socketed chips from time to time, say once every 6
months or so?

--
 L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
 ljdickey@watmath.UUCP		UUCP: ...!uunet!watmath!ljdickey

actor@percival.UUCP (Clif Swinford) (12/20/87)

A better way to handle the "loose chips" problem than pressing down on your
chips periodically is to drop by your local Atari service center and get
a technician to sell you some of the clips that Atari's putting in the new
(that is, current) ST's.

--
     Clif Swinford
                   ..!tektronix!reed!percival!actor                        fnord

john@viper.Lynx.MN.Org (John Stanley) (12/22/87)

In article <1309@water.waterloo.edu> ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) writes:
 >In article <907@atari.UUCP> neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) writes:
 >>Sounds like the proverbial "loose chips" problem.  Open up the 1040, press
 >>down on all the socketed chips, and chances are your drive will magically
 >>start working.
 >
 >I have not had this problem, but I wonder, would it be a good idea to
 >press down all the socketed chips from time to time, say once every 6
 >months or so?

  No...  The best response to this question is the old standby phrase:

	"If it works, don't fix it."

  If the chips are well seated, opening the case, pressing on them and
then replacing the case will, with time, tend to loosen them when there
was nothing wrong to begin with...

---
John Stanley (john@viper.UUCP)
Software Consultant - DynaSoft Systems
UUCP: ...{amdahl,ihnp4,rutgers}!meccts!viper!john

keithr@vice.TEK.COM (Keith Rast) (01/29/88)

I was wondering if anyone out there has had any
experience using Timeworks Data Manager.  I am
using it to do my church's membership list.
There are about 350 records in my database with
9 columns.  When I try to add a new column it
replaces the titles of existing columns with
non-ascii characters.  I am running the lastest
version which I believe is 1.1, I not sure though.
The first version of Data Manager was full of bugs
and I was wondering if this might be one.  The only
thing is that I am running it on my 520, but I tried
it on a friend's 1040 and it worked fine.  Could it be that
I don't have enough free memory?  I checked the status
and it says that I have 198k of memory left.  Can
anyone help me?  If Data Manager is "flakey" could
someone recommend a good gem-based database.  I've
tried db master and base two, but aren't as flexable
as Data Manager.

Thanks in advance,

Keith
keithr@vice.TEK.COM

sylvia.jumaga@canremote.uucp (SYLVIA JUMAGA) (03/28/89)

HELP!  I recently upgraded to an Atari 520ST computer (I previously
owned an Atari 65XE computer system, and an Atari 130XE computer
system.), and I'm lost.  Totally gone.  What's this with TOS, and GEM,
and GDOS, and Dialog Boxes, and How to Clean a Mouse, and MIDI, and Why
the ^%$#@ did Atari Stick Their Joystick/Mouse Ports On The Hardest To
Reach Part Of The ST?, and single sided drives, and RBG Monitors Which
There Is No Way In The World I Can Afford To Buy, and PC Ditto, and
Magic Sac, and ST Xformer, and MicroSoft Write, and it all boils down to
a game called OUTRUN.

I am slowly going crazy, 6-5-4-3-2-1 Switch
Crazy going slowly am I, 1-2-3-4-5-6 Switch

Any tips out there for a new Atari ST owner?  Oh yes, are all of these
cute little bombs that pop up on my screen graphics demos?

Fatal Disk Error- The Story Of My Life

'Till later,
-Sylv...

"The visible creates a work in form-
The invisible defines its worth"
Lao Tse - Tao Te King

 * QNet 1.03a2: Bert's Bulletin Board. Brandon, Man.

--- MaS Relayer v1.00.00
 Message gatewayed by MaS Network Software and Consulting/HST
 Internet: sylvia.jumaga@canremote.uucp
 UUCP:     ...!tmsoft!masnet!canremote!sylvia.jumaga

jshwang@ihlpm.ATT.COM (Hwang) (05/11/89)

I have an atari 1040st. Sometimes when I try to run a program,
the disk drive (built in the st) makes a sick sound (I don't
know how else to describe it..it is not the normal rrrrrrr,
but r..r..r..r), then a banner comes up saying the data on
the disk may be damaged. The program will not run. This happened
with MichTron 220-ST terminal emulator, and with Abacus paintpro.
Fortunately, the 220-ST is not copy protected, so I just made
another copy, but the paintpro is dead. (I haven't bothered to
send in for back up copy, because I don't care for it all that much).

Question: why does this happen? I do not abuse my floppies nor
my computer. I have put 5-1/4 floppies through all kinds of adverse
conditions, and to date I have NEVER had data problems with these
larger floppies. Is there something wrong with my drive?
I am a little nervous right now because I have a lot of money
invested in music software, all of which are copy protected.
Has anybody ever experienced similar conditions? HELP!

please send help to address in header. Thanks.

Joe Hwang

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (05/19/89)

In article <3475@ihlpm.ATT.COM> jshwang@ihlpm.ATT.COM (Hwang) writes:
> I have an atari 1040st. Sometimes when I try to run a program,
> the disk drive (built in the st) makes a sick sound (I don't
> know how else to describe it..it is not the normal rrrrrrr,
> but r..r..r..r), then a banner comes up saying the data on
> the disk may be damaged. The program will not run.

What's happening when it goes r..r..r..r is that it's trying to read a
certain sector, failing (after five revolutions), and the software
"reloads the head" -- that is, it seeks track zero, then seeks back to
the track where the data is supposed to be.  It does this three or four
times.

This can happen if the disk is damaged, if the floppy's heads are dirty
or damaged, and, most especially, if the floppy's heads have come out of
alignment with the "ideal" for 3.5" drives.  Take the machine to your
dealer; s/he can open the drive, clean the heads (don't use a "head
cleaner" disk; use the kind of kit that comes with Q-tip-style
applicators), and realign the drive if necessary.

There's a gotcha to realigning your heads: if you've been writing data
to disks with misaligned heads, then you fix the heads so they're in the
"standard" alignment, you might not be able to read your own disks any
more! This is usually not a problem, but something to watch out for.

s110031@pollux.ucdavis.edu (0000;0000005671;4000;250;216;s110) (05/25/89)

I have the same problems.  It could be that wear and tear causes the disk
drive to eat up a disk once in a while.  Otherwise, it seems like everytime
I turn off the computer after using a copyprotected software, the drive makes
a grinding sound when I turn it back on again.  If I had a disk in the drive,
the disk is sometimes damaged.  What I now do is turn on my computer without
a disk inside, let it spin a couple of seconds, and then put my disk in.  Also,
remember to wait ten seconds before turning on the computer again to let the
Atari blank out the data.  I haven't had any problems since.

mackeown@CompSci.Bristol.AC.UK (W. Mackeown) (05/30/89)

In article <4402@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> s110031@pollux.ucdavis. (Andy Hsiung) writes:
>I have the same problems.  It could be that wear and tear causes the disk
>drive to eat up a disk once in a while. ...

A rather tedious source of wear and tear on single disk-drive 1040ST's
is the need to swap source and destination disks many times while copying
a large file from one disk to another. It seems as if the ST uses a
very small buffer space for file copying.

Does anyone know of a way to force the ST to use more of its internal
RAM as buffer space during the file copying procedure so that disk-
swapping would be cut down a bit ?

Should I post a summary of any useful replies I receive ?

--
William Mackeown, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Bristol, BS8 1TR, UK
JANET: mackeown@uk.ac.bristol.cs

andyc@hplsla.HP.COM (Andy Cassino) (06/02/89)

| A rather tedious source of wear and tear on single disk-drive 1040ST's
| is the need to swap source and destination disks many times while copying
| a large file from one disk to another. It seems as if the ST uses a
| very small buffer space for file copying.
|
| Does anyone know of a way to force the ST to use more of its internal
| RAM as buffer space during the file copying procedure so that disk-
| swapping would be cut down a bit ?

One technique I have used is to first copy to a RAM disk, then change the
disk and copy from RAM.

But, now that I have Neodesk 2.0, I don't have to do this. Neodesk copies to
internal RAM before writing. This is a big time saver even with a hard disk!

    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    % Andy Cassino                                                  %
    % uucp: hplabs!hplsla!andyc  domain: andyc%hplsla@hplabs.hp.com %
    % Hewlett-Packard              Lake Stevens Instrument Division %
    % 8600 Soper Hill Road                   Everett, WA 98205-1298 %
    % (206) 335-2211                                                %
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

roman@jupiter.ucsc.edu (Roman Baker) (06/07/89)

I have a few questions that I would like to ask:

  I am wondering if there is any way to create a batch file that would
  be executed on startup like is done on the PC?

  Also can anyone tell me what exactly a blitter chip does?

  Thank you
  ROman
  .

clubok@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (Ken "The Snake" Clubok) (03/13/90)

Yikes!  So I try to put zoo.ttp on my hard drive, and the first time I run it,
my ST reboots!  Well, it tries to, anyway.  It seems to have some trouble
recognizing the hard drive, in that it doesn't.  So then I use icdfmt.prg to
rewrite the partition sector, and I can read the hard drive again.  But it
won't boot.  Actually, it does boot, just too many times.  It doesn't stop
booting.  It sets up the hard drive driver, and the clock driver, and then
tries to go to the desktop.  Some garbage briefly appears on the screen, and
the cycle starts over again.  I can get at the stuff on the HD by booting
in a contorted sequence, but it would be nice to take less than 5 minutes to
boot my hard drive.  BTW, it's not icdboot.sys or desktop.inf.  I replaced
both of those.  My guess is that it's something in the boot sector.  I'm
using a 1040ST with a Seagate 250R, Adaptec 4070, and ICD host adaptor.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.  Thanks.
Ken Clubok
clubok@husc4.bitnet
clubok@husc4.harvard.edu

In article <2193@husc6.harvard.edu> clubok@husc4.UUCP (Ken "The Snake" Clubok) writes:
>Yikes!  So I try to put zoo.ttp on my hard drive, and the first time I run it,
>my ST reboots!  Well, it tries to, anyway.  It seems to have some trouble
>recognizing the hard drive, in that it doesn't.  So then I use icdfmt.prg to

Sorry, folks.  I should have played around a bit longer before posting.  It
turns out that my control panel was corrupted, and was causing the infinite
rebooting.  Now I only wonder what happened in the first place, and why I
always need to boot my computer twice after powering up my HD to get it to
boot properly.  I've seen this question posted before, but I don't remember
the answer.

Ken Clubok
clubok@husc4.harvard.edu
clubok@husc4.bitnet

clubok@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (Ken "The Snake" Clubok) (03/14/90)

Okay, I'm back again with new problems.  This hard drive isn't more than
two weeks old, and has been behaving very erratically.  I already explained
about the failure in which it wouldn't respond until I rewrote the partition
sector, and then one of the files was corrupted.  That was yesterday.  Today,
it again wouldn't boot.  Checking the directory, I found that all the entries
were there, but garbled.  I looked at it with disk doctor, and found that
about every other byte in the directory sector had been scrambled.  Also,
the directory sector had been moved from #91 to #99.  I tried to fix that,
and then the HD stopped responding at all.  I rewrote the partition sector
again, and it basically got fixed, except that I had to reinstall ICDBOOT.SYS,
and I had two directory sectors: the original one at #91, and the scrambled
one at #99.  This is the second time in two days that things got weird, and
this time I didn't even do anything that could be a likely cause.  One clue:
I get "sense 20" error messages all the time.  (Once it said "msense 20.")
I know that Bill White has gotten these as well, and found them to be
harmless, but I wonder if they're related to the problem.  Any ideas, anyone?
I have a Seagate 250R, an Adaptec 4070, and the ICD host adaptor.  I use the
most recent version of the ICD software, and I have control.acc, starstrk.acc,
and trbocolr.acc installed, with settime.prg in the auto folder.  The
applications I use include Flash, 1st Word+, Opus, TeX with dvidsk, zoo.ttp,
and lately, disk doctor.  Thanks for any help!
Ken Clubok
clubok@husc4.bitnet
clubok@husc4.harvard.edu

alex@athertn.Atherton.COM (Alex Leavens) (03/15/90)

Ken Clubok
clubok@husc4.harvard.edu writes about problmes he's having with his hard
drive, to wit, lots of bad sectors, problems reading from the disc, etc.

One thing to check, if you've assembled the drive yourself, is to see if
the Adaptec controller card is sitting too close to the drive's own
controller electronics.  I had a variation of your problem which went like
this:

Everything opened up and laid on the table--drive, controller, BMS board;
in this configuration, everything was seperated, and the drive would format
and read/write just fine.

Everything boxed up in the case, Adaptec board mounted to bottom of drive,
next to drive electronics:  Can't format drive, too many bad sectors.
(So how come they put mounting holes for a controller on the bottom of the
drive then???)

Cobble up a mounting bracket, move Adaptec to top of drive.  Now the drive
controller cable (34 pin) and drive data cable (20 pin) are coming up the
back of the drive and over onto the Adaptec;  they are no longer running
next to the drive electronics.  Result: Can format drive, and use it, but
get intermittent read/write errors, (often filenames 'change' with one
or two characters becoming garbage).

Ok, now I'm getting pissed.  Get out the aluminum foil and the soldering
iron.  Make a sandwich of cardboard and aluminum foil (carboard outside)
and put one between adaptec and drive.  Do the same thing for the back of
the drive, so that the drive control and data cables are outside of the
sandwich, and the back of the drive is on the inside.  Do the same
for the bottom of the drive.  Enclose my SCSI<->ASCI board in another
couple of these sandwiches.  Run ground wires from the aluminum to the
ground on the various boards.

Everything works fine now.  Shees!

Moral:  You may need shielding, lots of it.

Hope this helps!

|--alex | alex@Atherton.COM |  Caution!  Falling Opinions, next 6 miles   |
|     New Net Address!!: UUCP: {uunet,ucbvax}!unisoft!bdt!dsdeng!alex     |
|  "Mmmm...Ooo, say...Yummm......Blewuechh! Tiggers _don't_ like honey."  |

asedm@acad2.anc.alaska.edu (MILLER ED D) (07/22/90)

	I have only recently discovered usenet, so please bear with me.
I have a 1040st with TOS 1.0 :-( and would like to know where to get
*any* PD documentation... I have found the GEMDOS manual, and have
been searching for the hitchhiker's guide to the BIOS, the Pexec cookbook,
and whatever... an FTP site would be wonderful.

thanks in advance!

Ed Miller                                 welcome to my nightmare, I think
INTERNET: asedm@acad2.anc.alaska.edu      you're gonna like it --
                                             Alice Cooper

walkerb@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Brian Walker) (07/23/90)

In article <1990Jul21.233546.16105@hayes.fai.alaska.edu> asedm@acad2.anc.alaska.edu writes:

>	I have only recently discovered usenet, so please bear with me.
>I have a 1040st with TOS 1.0 :-( and would like to know where to get
>*any* PD documentation... I have found the GEMDOS manual, and have
>been searching for the hitchhiker's guide to the BIOS, the Pexec cookbook,
>and whatever... an FTP site would be wonderful.
>
>thanks in advance!

The documents you mention are part of the Atari developers' kit.  Therefore,
they are not public domain.  That is unless Atari has suddenly been stricken
with a fit of generosity.
--
Brian Walker, University of Colorado at Boulder
walkerb@tramp.colorado.edu     ...!{ncar,nbires}!boulder!tramp!walkerb

gl8f@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) (07/23/90)

In article <23783@boulder.Colorado.EDU> walkerb@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Brian Walker) writes:

>The documents you mention are part of the Atari developers' kit.  Therefore,
>they are not public domain.  That is unless Atari has suddenly been stricken
>with a fit of generosity.

The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the BIOS is part of the devkit, so it is
not public domain. You can find that information in various books
about the ST. However, the GEMDOS guide and the Pexec cookbook have
both been posted to the net in the past, and I think the Pexec
cookbook was even actually released to the public. However, I'm not a
lawyer.

The bottom line is, don't be so snappy.

--
"In fact you should not be involved in IRC." -- Phil Howard

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (07/25/90)

Documentation such as "Hitchhikers Guide to the BIOS", S.A.L.A.D. and
all the other info mentioned is available...  IF...  you join the
"fraternity" of Atari developers...

As mentioned here on the net by Atari representatives, Atari Corp doesn't
consider most of us to be worth their time or trouble.. (comeon Greg, you
read it, I read it, we all read it... don't bother protesting)

Only if you demonstrate your "credibility" by forking out the initiation
dues and by meeting the "standards" for an Atari Developer, can you obtain
entre into the "inner circle" and learn all that neat inside stuff about
Atari computers.. (I dunno.. .is there a "secret handshake" too..?)

If you don't meet the standards, or can't afford the $250 intitiation fee,
you can dig through the Abacus books (with all their typos and errors) and
pore over back-issues of ST magazines, or try to disassemble the TOS ROMs
yourself... (something that is highly discouraged by the Atari reps..
you might learn something they want to sell you...)

Seems funny... a company whose market is in the toilet like Atari's is
should, by most rational outlooks, try to encourage as many enthusiastic
programmers as possible to work with their systems... to help drag them
back into the real world...  but no one seems to have ever accused Atari
Corp of being rational...

BobR

gl8f@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) (07/25/90)

In article <32059@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
>Documentation such as "Hitchhikers Guide to the BIOS", S.A.L.A.D. and
>all the other info mentioned is available...  IF...  you join the
>"fraternity" of Atari developers...

All the information in these documents is also available from 3rd
party documentation. A list was posted a short while ago. I'm sure you
remember this, Bob, since you think you know so much about the Atari
market.

>As mentioned here on the net by Atari representatives, Atari Corp doesn't
>consider most of us to be worth their time or trouble.. (comeon Greg, you
>read it, I read it, we all read it... don't bother protesting)

Yeah, but I didn't misinterpret it. While I would prefer "official"
docs, the 3rd party docs were good enough for the programming that I
did on the ST. What have you written for your ST, Bob? What's your
*professional* opinion on the 3rd party docs you can buy? Or have you
never looked at them? Oh, you don't program. Ah.

Whining like you do will only insure that the Atari people never post,
because if they do you'll whine about it for years.

--
"In fact you should not be involved in IRC." -- Phil Howard

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (07/26/90)

At the risk of exceeding my allotted number of replies in the Atari
universe, Greg Lindhal says:

>>Documentation such as "Hitchhikers Guide to the BIOS", S.A.L.A.D. and
>>all the other info mentioned is available...  IF...  you join the
>>"fraternity" of Atari developers...

>All the information in these documents is also available from 3rd
>party documentation.

Golly.. if you know anyone pirating this exclusive "non-disclosure" Atari
information, you'd better turn them in to John Townsend at Atari..

John and Allan have been pretty specific that Atari doesn't tolerate
anyone distributing their "proprietary" information...

Not unless you *buy* their info, that is...

As far as my "professional opinion" on documentation, I have most of the
Abacus series of books (have you noticed how virtually NO bookstores carry
these Atari books anymore, Greg?  They must allll be Atari Bashers.. eh?)

I also have Mark Williams C, which is pretty well recognized as being better
documentation than most of what Atari Corp puts out.. but.. .Mark Williams
has announced that they're not going to waste any more of their time on
a backwater market like Atari...

My software company used to support the Atari 8-bit computer.. any
particular reason I should continue to lose money supporting the ST..?
Does your *personally owned* company support the ST...?

Ask Jim Allen of FaST Technologies, or Frank Cohen of Regent Software,
or Mark Sloatman of Practical Peripherials, or... (you get the idea..?)

It's hard to feed your family on the *promises* of Atari Corp...

(How about you.., eh, Greg..? You have to feed yourself on the vapor
put out by Atari Corp..?   I thought not...)

Try living in the REAL world of Atari Computers for a while... you'll
find it's not as much fun as posting "Rah Rah Atari" messages on UseNet..

BobR

cierdain@ucrmath.ucr.edu (michael barnes) (09/12/90)

  Well, I tried this about a week ago, but I have no idea if it actually
made it to the net, so.....
I recently got Pc-Ditto II, only to discover, much to my horror, that I
have the IMP version of the MMU and GLU chips in my ST, and so I need
to get replacements before the thing will run.  My question then, is
where can I find these elusive little buggers?  I tried contacting
Avant-Garde to see if they had any suggestions, but their number was
no longer in service.  I also tried a couple of places to see if they
had the chips, but have had no luck.  Does any one have any suggestions?

Oh, and if some kind soul who gets this, assuming it gets of campus,
could send mail saying it made it off campus, it would be greatly
appreciated.
either posted responses, or email to elvis@watnxt2.ucr.edu would
be just dandy....

thanks
Andrew Cullum

brooksm@p4.cs.man.ac.uk (Matthew Brooks) (03/07/91)

Well I'm and St owner who is completely green to all of this uploading, uud,
arc lark and there sounds as if there is some really interesting ST stuff out
there (i'm interested in music/graphics stuff) but I don't know how to get my
hands on it. I tried going to atari.archives from newsnet but the group doesnt
seem to exist. Also I need to get my hands on arc, lharc, zoo etc i presume so
that I can use the files if I ever do manage to get my hands on them.
  I really haven't a clue what to do! If anyone out there could give a complete
beginners guide then I would be very grateful. I'm working on sun 3/50's and
we have the facilities to download stuff to 1040 ST's. We don't seem to have
uudecode (or whatever) facilities on Unix so I'd need ST versions of these.
  So to make this posting a bit more coherent,

1) how do I access atari.archives
2) how do I download stuff
3) how do I get a decompression thingie(s)
4) how do I use it on the downloaded stuff!

Sorry for being a complete thickie,

Mat.

{Matthew Brooks: He's not thick at all, honest}

bdm@fabry.rice.edu (Brian D. Moore) (03/09/91)

     Well, well, it's nice to see that I'm not the only thickie around here.
I have just started to up/down-load stuff recently, so the gray areas are
fresh to me.  If there is a substantial call for it, I'll write and post an
"idiot's guide".  Vote on the newsnet, and I'll count.  If there are not a
conflagration of clarion calls, I'll write the guide, but mail it to individuals.
I am hardly an authority on the ST, but then again you won't be inundated
with #F03's and XBIOS explanations (shudder).
     I'll announce the completion of the guide netwide.  Bon chance!
Brian D. Moore              | Homebrewing -- the only sport exclusively for
Space Physics and Astronomy |                anal-retentive alcoholics.
Rice University, Houston TX |       Relax -- have a home brew.

nobody@blia.sharebase.com (Nobody at all) (03/12/91)

I'm a thickie too!