[comp.sys.atari.st] ATARI's current line

m937290@usna.navy.mil (Midn. Norman R. Solis (937290) <m937290@usna.navy.mil>) (01/25/91)

What machines is Atari offering these days.  I was under the impression that
Atari was doing pretty poorly as a computer business.  How much are Atari
systems selling for right now and how can you get one?

- N. Richard Solis

--
| Richard Solis        m937290@n1.usna.navy.mil          Class of 1993       |
| USNA 33rd Company    m937290@csvax2.scs.usna.navy.mil                      |

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (01/25/91)

In article <120@usna.NAVY.MIL> m937290@usna.navy.mil (Midn. Norman R. Solis (937290) <m937290@usna.navy.mil>) writes:

>What machines is Atari offering these days.  I was under the impression that
>Atari was doing pretty poorly as a computer business.  How much are Atari
>systems selling for right now and how can you get one?

I would be curious to see some sort of list also.  Near as I can tell,
we have 520STFM,1040STFM,520STe,1040STe,Mega 2ST,Mega 4ST, Mega 1ST,
STacy (not FCC approved for home use), and the TT (not forsale in US
yet I think).  All of these, with the exception of the TT, are
basically the same machine in different boxes (though the STe's seem
to have a little extra hardware for games included).

Where to buy one?  That may prove to be a pain.  In some areas, Atari
dealers are about as abundant as Coors dealers in Saudi Arabia. :-)
As far as the cost goes...I'm not sure what the going rate is, but
a decent system will cost you (more or less) about the same as a
68000 machine from Apple or Commodore.

Cheers,

Chris
------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |D{r det finns en |l, finns
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |det en plan!
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |
------------------------------+---------------------------

jerry@TALOS.UUCP (Jerry Gitomer) (01/26/91)

m937290@usna.navy.mil (Midn. Norman R. Solis (937290) <m937290@usna.navy.mil>) writes:

:What machines is Atari offering these days.  I was under the impression that
:Atari was doing pretty poorly as a computer business.  How much are Atari
:systems selling for right now and how can you get one?

:- N. Richard Solis

:--
:| Richard Solis        m937290@n1.usna.navy.mil          Class of 1993       |
:| USNA 33rd Company    m937290@csvax2.scs.usna.navy.mil                      |
:| Annapolis, MD 21412                                                        |
:| (301) 267-5001       GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY!!!     Standard disclaimers apply! |

You are less than 10 miles away from Maryland's largest
Atari dealer -- Toad Computers in Severna Park, MD.  Their
phone number is (301) 544-6943.

Looking at their wintertime catalog I see that Atari is now
making three lines of computers; the 68000 based STs, the
68030 based TTs, and the Portfolio (an MS-DOG based handheld
portable).

Since the Tramiel's acquired control of Atari the company
seems to have focused on the European market and, in the
opinion of many, ignored the domestic market.  In Europe the
Atari is considered to be a serious computer, in the USA
Atari tends to be equated with toy.

As someone who runs OS-9 and MINIX on my ST in addition to
GEM =I= realize that Atari computers are more than toys.

--
Jerry Gitomer at National Political Resources Inc, Alexandria, VA USA
I am apolitical, have no resources, and speak only for myself.

techno@lime.in-berlin.de (Techno) (01/27/91)

jerry@TALOS.UUCP (Jerry Gitomer) writes:

>Since the Tramiel's acquired control of Atari the company
>seems to have focused on the European market and, in the
>opinion of many, ignored the domestic market.  In Europe the
>Atari is considered to be a serious computer, in the USA
>Atari tends to be equated with toy.

>As someone who runs OS-9 and MINIX on my ST in addition to
>GEM =I= realize that Atari computers are more than toys.

Rejoice, Americans. I have just read in the german 'ST Computer' magazine
that Alwin Stumpf, manager of Atari Germany, is headed for the US. If his
performance here in Germany is anything to go by, you should see Atari
sales in the US go up inside half a year.

                                    Techno

--
| techno@zelator.in-berlin.de ||| Please do not e-mail from outside Germany ! |
| techno@lime.in-berlin.de   / | \ Hardcore ST user !  ====================== |

neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) (01/28/91)

In article <886@TALOS.UUCP> jerry@TALOS.UUCP (Jerry Gitomer) writes:
> ...  In Europe the Atari is considered to be a serious computer, in the USA
>Atari tends to be equated with toy.

It's a toy here too. To the best of my knowledge Atari UK never advertise(d)
the ST as a serious business machine. At best a home business machine for
folk who couldn't afford a PC or didn't know any better. It's games, games
and more games for the ST on the UK. I heard that Mirrorsoft are apparently
going to stop producing serious software so they can conecntrate on the
'leisure matket'.

>As someone who runs OS-9 and MINIX on my ST in addition to
>GEM =I= realize that Atari computers are more than toys.

Me too. But how do you go about convincing the business community that when
most of them don't know what an ST is and their first question is 'Is it
PC and MS-DOS compatible'. It's even tougher when you consider that Atari
themselves aren't interested. It shouldn't be up to us to promote the Atari ST!

Perhaps I'm out a bit here, but didn't the ST come out about a year after the
Mac? Hailed as the Jackintosh at the time, if Atari had not gone for the home
market but had promoted it from the start as a serious machine, just think
what it would be like today. I reckon their market share would rival Apples
considerably.

Oh well, there is no use crying over spilt milk I guess.

>Jerry Gitomer at National Political Resources Inc, Alexandria, VA USA
>I am apolitical, have no resources, and speak only for myself.
>Ma Bell (703)683-9090      (UUCP:  ...{uupsi,vrdxhq}!pbs!npri6!jerry

! DISCLAIMER:Unless otherwise stated, the above comments are entirely my own !
!                                                                            !
! Neil Forsyth                      JANET:  neil@uk.ac.hw.cs                 !
! Dept. of Computer Science         ARPA:   neil@cs.hw.ac.uk                 !
! Heriot-Watt University            UUCP:   ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!neil          !
! Edinburgh, Scotland, UK           "That was never 5 minutes!"              !

madsen@admin.usask.ca (01/30/91)

In article <886@TALOS.UUCP>, jerry@TALOS.UUCP (Jerry Gitomer) writes:
|> From: jerry@TALOS.UUCP (Jerry Gitomer)
|> Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.st
|> Subject: Re: ATARI's current line
|> Date: 25 Jan 91 17:23:47 GMT
|>
|> m937290@usna.navy.mil (Midn. Norman R. Solis (937290)
|> <m937290@usna.navy.mil>) writes:
|>

|> :What machines is Atari offering these days.  I was under the
|> impression that
|> :Atari was doing pretty poorly as a computer business.  How much are
|> Atari
|> :systems selling for right now and how can you get one?
|>
|> :- N. Richard Solis
|>
|> :--
|> :| Richard Solis        m937290@n1.usna.navy.mil          Class of
|> 1993       |
|> :| USNA 33rd Company    m937290@csvax2.scs.usna.navy.mil
|> |
|> :| Annapolis, MD 21412
|> |
|> :| (301) 267-5001       GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY!!!     Standard
|> disclaimers apply! |

|> You are less than 10 miles away from Maryland's largest
|> Atari dealer -- Toad Computers in Severna Park, MD.  Their
|> phone number is (301) 544-6943.
|>
|> Looking at their wintertime catalog I see that Atari is now
|> making three lines of computers; the 68000 based STs, the
|> 68030 based TTs, and the Portfolio (an MS-DOG based handheld
|> portable).
|>
|> Since the Tramiel's acquired control of Atari the company
|> seems to have focused on the European market and, in the
|> opinion of many, ignored the domestic market.  In Europe the
|> Atari is considered to be a serious computer, in the USA
|> Atari tends to be equated with toy.
|>
|> As someone who runs OS-9 and MINIX on my ST in addition to
|> GEM =I= realize that Atari computers are more than toys.
|>
|> --
|> Jerry Gitomer at National Political Resources Inc, Alexandria, VA
|> USA
|> I am apolitical, have no resources, and speak only for myself.
|> Ma Bell (703)683-9090      (UUCP:  ...{uupsi,vrdxhq}!pbs!npri6!jerry

In Canada the following are currently available:

	1040STE 1Mb/68000-8mz/720k floppy/4096 colours -- $695.00

	MEGASTE4 4Mb/68000-16mz/720k floppy/4096 colours
		48mbHD -- $2,495.00

	MEGASTE1 1MB/68000-16Mz/720k floppy/4096 colours
		monochrome monitor -- $1,295.00

	TT030/4/40 4Mb/68030-32Mz/720k floppy/48mbHD -- $4,295.00

	Note:  The MEGASTEs have a 16Mz  68000, come in the same box as the
	TT. They have the following builtin:
		- 1 Parallel port
		- 4 Serial ports
		- 1 Mouse
		- 2 Joystick
		- 1SCSI
		- 1 ACSI
		- Local talk
		- cartridge
		- MIDI in
		- MIDI out
		- 68881 math co-processor
		- 1 Internal A24/D16 VME expansion slot

	Monitors:

	SM124	- Monochrome for ST 640x400 -- $249
	SC1435	-  14 inch "STEREO" colour monitor for ST's -- $595
	TTM194	- 19 inch Mono Hi-res 1280x960 for TTs -- $1,495
	PTC1426	- 14 inch Multi-sync colour 640x480 for TTs -- $879

	All prices mentioned are suggest retail prices in Canadian funds.
	GST and PST extra

Jorgen Madsen
University of Saskatchewan
Saskatoon, Sask.
Canada

gaudreau@juggler.East.Sun.COM (Joe Gaudreau - Sun BOS Software) (01/30/91)

madsen@admin.usask.ca () writes:
=jerry@TALOS.UUCP (Jerry Gitomer) writes:
=In Canada the following are currently available:
=	MEGASTE4 4Mb/68000-16mz/720k floppy/4096 colours
=		48mbHD -- $2,495.00

The US model has these differences:
=	TT030/4/40 4Mb/68030-32Mz/720k floppy/48mbHD -- $4,295.00
=
=	Note:  The MEGASTEs have a 16Mz  68000, come in the same box as the
=	TT. They have the following builtin:
=		- 1 Parallel port
=		- 4 Serial ports
Two of those serial lines (LAN and Serial2) are actually the same output
device and can't be used at the same time.  Still THREE serial lines.  What
do I do with them...
=		- 1 Mouse
=		- 2 Joystick
Just one - like a regular ST.
=		- 1SCSI
None.  That's the TT.
=		- 1 ACSI
=		- Local talk
See above.
=		- cartridge
=		- MIDI in
=		- MIDI out
=		- 68881 math co-processor
yikes - I *hope* US model has one of these!
=		- 1 Internal A24/D16 VME expansion slot

On another note, I have a Mega-4/Ste and would love to know if I have
a floating point chip without opening the case (I'm chicken for the next
three months :-).  Is there an available software test?

=	SC1435	-  14 inch "STEREO" colour monitor for ST's -- $595
These are really nice.  The Stereo is quite nifty although I get better
sound from a "boom-box", which is to be expected.

Joe
-=-

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (01/30/91)

>In Canada the following are currently available:
>
>	MEGASTE4 4Mb/68000-16mz/720k floppy/4096 colours
>		48mbHD -- $2,495.00
>
>	MEGASTE1 1MB/68000-16Mz/720k floppy/4096 colours
>		monochrome monitor -- $1,295.00

We still can't get them in the U.S.!!!!  Even though they have apparently
passed Class B.

>	Note:  The MEGASTEs have a 16Mz  68000, come in the same box as the
>	TT. They have the following builtin:
>		- 1 Parallel port
>		- 4 Serial ports

I thought the MegaSTe had only 2 serial ports, while the TT had all four.
If you have actually seen them, please forgive me.

>		- 2 Joystick
>		- 1SCSI
>		- 1 ACSI
>		- Local talk
>		- cartridge
>		- MIDI in
>		- MIDI out
>		- 68881 math co-processor

I thought only the TT came with the 68881.

--
         Ed Krimen  ...............................................
   |||   Video Production Major, California State University, Chico
   |||   INTERNET: ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu  FREENET: al661
  / | \  SysOp, Fuji BBS: 916-894-1261        FIDONET: 1:119/4.0

stephen@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Steve Whitney) (01/30/91)

In article <4105@eastapps.East.Sun.COM> gaudreau@east.sun.com (Joe Gaudreau - Sun BOS Software) writes:
`madsen@admin.usask.ca () writes:
`=jerry@TALOS.UUCP (Jerry Gitomer) writes:
...describing the Mega STE...
`=		- 1SCSI
`None.  That's the TT.
`=		- 1 ACSI
`=		- Local talk
`See above.

Actually, the Mega STE _does_ have the Localtalk port.  It's labeled "LAN"

`Joe
`-=-
--
Steve Whitney   "It's never _really_ the last minute"       (())_-_(())
UCLA Comp. Sci. Grad. Student                                | (* *) |

jhenders@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca (John Henders) (01/30/91)

In <1991Jan29.230448.10573@cs.ucla.edu>, Steve Whitney writes:
>In article <4105@eastapps.East.Sun.COM> gaudreau@east.sun.com (Joe Gaudreau - Sun BOS Software) writes:
>`madsen@admin.usask.ca () writes:
>`=jerry@TALOS.UUCP (Jerry Gitomer) writes:
>...describing the Mega STE...
>`=		- 1SCSI
>`None.  That's the TT.

	I'm pretty sure the internal harddrive on the STe is an imbedded
SCSI drive plugged directly to the computer, so there is scsi there.
Whether it was brought out the back of the computer or not, sorry, I
didn't look. Ilike the concept behind the Mega STe1. It's basically
a dealer configuable box, as the cost on 256k simms appearantly is
about 3.00$. Now if someone could come out with a board which used
a bunch of 256k simms to make a 4 meg board that fit the 4 simm
slots, there'd be a use for all those excess simms.......

	Someone mentioned here that the 2.5 meg configuration didn't
work due to a bug in tos 1.6. If what I've heard is correct, this
is wrong. The new mmu is part of a larger chip with other custom chips
incorperated into it. I'd say the logic to support the 2.5 meg config
was left out to simplify design, rather than from malice.

>Actually, the Mega STE _does_ have the Localtalk port.  It's labeled "LAN"

	A friend of mine is looking for an X Terminal package which supports
the rs232 port on the ST and doesn't have to be purchased with a lan
board of any sort. Does anyone know of a company that supplys this?
	I was looking through a book on programming for X, and it seems that
the primitives look a lot like VDI calls. An interesting project would
be an X terminal package that mapped the X communications to a Gem window.

--
          John Henders        jhenders@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca
          Vancouver,B.C.      or jhenders@wimsey.bc.ca

gaudreau@juggler.East.Sun.COM (Joe Gaudreau - Sun BOS Software) (01/31/91)

stephen@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Steve Whitney) writes:
=(Joe Gaudreau - Sun BOS Software) writes:
=`madsen@admin.usask.ca () writes:
=`=jerry@TALOS.UUCP (Jerry Gitomer) writes:
=...describing the Mega STE...
=`=		- 1SCSI
=`None.  That's the TT.
=`=		- 1 ACSI
=`=		- Local talk
=`See above.
  ^^^^^^^^^

=Actually, the Mega STE _does_ have the Localtalk port.  It's labeled "LAN"
Yea, I know.  Check out the 'See above', which is now below:

=(Joe Gaudreau - Sun BOS Software) writes:
=		- 4 Serial ports
Two of those serial lines (LAN and Serial2) are actually the same output
device and can't be used at the same time.  Still THREE serial lines.  What
do I do with them...

Which is to say, the Serial2 and the LAN are the same device, just with two
different connectors.

                              Steve,
                 (())_-_(())  nice bear.  I like the statue even better when
                  | (* *) |   he's wearing sun glasses, a hat, while juggling.
UCLA Bruin--=    {  \_@_/  }
                   `-----'
Joe
-=-

dlk0ms9s@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Mark Santora) (01/31/91)

In article <4105@eastapps.East.Sun.COM>, gaudreau@juggler.East.Sun.COM (Joe Gaudreau - Sun BOS Software) writes:
> madsen@admin.usask.ca () writes:
> =jerry@TALOS.UUCP (Jerry Gitomer) writes:
> =In Canada the following are currently available:
> =	MEGASTE4 4Mb/68000-16mz/720k floppy/4096 colours
> =		48mbHD -- $2,495.00
>
> The US model has these differences:
> =	TT030/4/40 4Mb/68030-32Mz/720k floppy/48mbHD -- $4,295.00
> =
> =	Note:  The MEGASTEs have a 16Mz  68000, come in the same box as the
> =	TT. They have the following builtin:
> =		- 1 Parallel port
> =		- 4 Serial ports
> Two of those serial lines (LAN and Serial2) are actually the same output
> device and can't be used at the same time.  Still THREE serial lines.  What
> do I do with them...
> =		- 1 Mouse
> =		- 2 Joystick
> Just one - like a regular ST.
> =		- 1SCSI
> None.  That's the TT.
> =		- 1 ACSI
> =		- Local talk
> See above.
> =		- cartridge
> =		- MIDI in
> =		- MIDI out
> =		- 68881 math co-processor
> yikes - I *hope* US model has one of these!
> =		- 1 Internal A24/D16 VME expansion slot
>
> On another note, I have a Mega-4/Ste and would love to know if I have
> a floating point chip without opening the case (I'm chicken for the next
> three months :-).  Is there an available software test?
>
> =	SC1435	-  14 inch "STEREO" colour monitor for ST's -- $595
> These are really nice.  The Stereo is quite nifty although I get better
> sound from a "boom-box", which is to be expected.
>
> Joe
> -=-

   Question:
        Not mentioned in the specs for he MEGA/STE are the new anolog 15 pin
ports.  I suspect they have been droppped then as worthless because the
MEGA/STE doesn't have them.  I mean what point is there to upgrading the ST
if the new ports you put onto it aren't carried over into the higher end
models???

 Mark Santora
 DLK0MS9S@UMIAMI.edu

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (01/31/91)

In article <1991Jan29.195835.12226@ecst.csuchico.edu> ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) writes:
>>In Canada the following are currently available:
>>
>>	MEGASTE4 4Mb/68000-16mz/720k floppy/4096 colours
>>		48mbHD -- $2,495.00
>>
>>	MEGASTE1 1MB/68000-16Mz/720k floppy/4096 colours
>>		monochrome monitor -- $1,295.00
>
>We still can't get them in the U.S.!!!!  Even though they have apparently
>passed Class B.

Cumpu-seller West, in St Charles, IL, has offered the MEGASTE4 for sale from
stock.  The company is an interesting case, by the way.  They are the direct
successor to Computer Cellar, which went out of business largely because
the PC software business was too cutthroat, but partly because of the bad
state of the new ST hardware business.  I have no Idea whether any Mega Es are
left in stock.
                                             Steve    saj@chinet.chi.il.us

ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ed Krimen) (02/01/91)

-         Not mentioned in the specs for he MEGA/STE are the new anolog
- 15 pin ports.  I suspect they have been droppped then as worthless
- because the MEGA/STE doesn't have them.

I hear there's a company developing a VME card with the analog 15-pin
ports for the MegaSTe. ;^)

- I mean what point is there to upgrading the ST if the new ports you
- put onto it aren't carried over into the higher end models???

My guess is that not many people buying a TT or even a MegaSTe will
miss them.  I have an STe and I obviously don't use them, and never
intended to, quite frankly.  I don't even take advantage of the
4096-colors, stereo sound, or blitter (although it's nice to see a
demo now and then), since I don't play many games. I bought the STe
for Rainbow TOS and cheap-and-easy RAM upgrades, and I'm looking at
the MegaSTe for some acceleration and a nice, extended keyboard.  If
it had 1.4meg drives, I'd like that too, but it doesn't.  There are
'more important' gripes I'd have over the MegaSTe than whether it had
the 15-pin analog ports, like increased resolution like the TT has
(can anyone explain why it doesn't?  There MUST be a good, probably
technical, reason why.).  Then again, Atari IS promoting it as business
machine.

--

In article <A0b02434@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca> jhenders@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca writes:
>	I'm pretty sure the internal harddrive on the STe is an imbedded
>SCSI drive plugged directly to the computer, so there is scsi there.
>Whether it was brought out the back of the computer or not, sorry, I
>didn't look. Ilike the concept behind the Mega STe1. It's basically
>a dealer configuable box, as the cost on 256k simms appearantly is
>about 3.00$. Now if someone could come out with a board which used
>a bunch of 256k simms to make a 4 meg board that fit the 4 simm
>slots, there'd be a use for all those excess simms.......

That's not a bad idea... As long as there's physical space available.

>>Actually, the Mega STE _does_ have the Localtalk port.  It's labeled "LAN"

>	A friend of mine is looking for an X Terminal package which supports
>the rs232 port on the ST and doesn't have to be purchased with a lan
>board of any sort. Does anyone know of a company that supplys this?

How many X packages are there, anyway? Only a couple, last I heard.
Would probably work very well using serial IP at 230kbps....

>	I was looking through a book on programming for X, and it seems that
>the primitives look a lot like VDI calls. An interesting project would
>be an X terminal package that mapped the X communications to a Gem window.

Well, there's a company marketing a product called XVT, which is a higher
layer library that maps graphics calls into MS Windows, Mac Windows, and X.
You might look into talking with the company and getting GEM supported.
(It sounds like a good idea, so you only have to write one version of a
program, no #ifdef's or anything, just compile it on each target system
and go...)
--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan

Flame all you want - we'll take more.

stu892103@gcc.uucp (ATARI CORP.) (03/07/91)

In article <1991Feb01.062643.893@ecst.csuchico.edu>, ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu
(Ed Krimen) writes:
> jhenders@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca (John Henders) writes:

	[stuff deleted]

> -  Whether it was brought out the back of the computer or not,
> - sorry, I didn't look. Ilike the concept behind the Mega STe1. It's
> - basically a dealer configuable box, as the cost on 256k simms
> - appearantly is about 3.00$. Now if someone could come out with a board
> - which used a bunch of 256k simms to make a 4 meg board that fit the 4
> - simm slots, there'd be a use for all those excess simms.......

Is there in fact a Mega STe1?  I've been considering an STe more and more every
day and a Mega STe1 would be the way to go if possible.  If anyone has any type
of info about it, please post it here!  I haven't seen a new Atari manazine for
a few months now, so I don't know what's in the most recent ads.

Steve Greer
Steven J. Greer			| UUCP:     ...!pitt!edinboro!gcc!stu892103
School:Box 2444			| INTERNET: stu892103%gcc@edinboro.edu
       Grove City College	|===============================================
       Grove City, PA 16127     |
................................|  A very proud member of NEOSTAG(North Eastern
Home:--Box 25, Main St.		|  Ohio ST Atari Group), home of Dr.Bob and The
       Volant, PA  16156-0025   |  Cryptic Wizard.

marshall@cs.uq.oz.au (Marshall Harris (G.M.)) (03/11/91)

In article <531@gcc.uucp> stu892103@gcc.uucp (ATARI CORP.) writes:
>In article <1991Feb01.062643.893@ecst.csuchico.edu>, ekrimen@ecst.csuchico.edu
>(Ed Krimen) writes:
>> jhenders@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca (John Henders) writes:
>
>	[stuff deleted]
>
>> I like the concept behind the Mega STe1. It's
>
>Is there in fact a Mega STe1?  I've been considering an STe more and more every
>day and a Mega STe1 would be the way to go if possible.  If anyone has any type
>of info about it, please post it here!  I haven't seen a new Atari manazine for
>a few months now, so I don't know what's in the most recent ads.
Can someone explain, for the non-technical dummies like me, what the features
of the TT are, in contrast to a MegaStE (and vice versa)?
I don't need ultra high speed. I do need to be able to use all the software
I have for my old 1040ST (UK, 1986 TOS1.0 vintage). I would like at
least 2meg, and to include a PC emulator, such as AT-once, and be able to
access 2meg in PC mode. (So that I can run Smalltalk-V-286 - not Little Smtk).
But please don't baffle me with electronic science!

		  		         || Marshall Harris
Internet/CSnet:     marshall@cs.uq.oz.au || Dept.of Computer Science
JANET:    marshall%cs.uq.oz.au@uk.ac.ukc || University of Queensland
EAN:                marshall@cs.uq.oz.au || St Lucia, Queensland 4072
Bitnet:marshall%cs.uq.oz.au@uunet.uu.net || Australia
UUCP: uunet!munnari!cs.uq.oz.au!marshall || ph:  +61 7 365 2908
JUNET:              marshall@cs.uq.oz.au ||
 	   "If you want to make god laugh, show him your plans"
	                   Woody Allen

patrick_meloy@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Patrick Meloy) (03/12/91)

>Can someone explain, for the non-technical dummies like me, what the features
>of the TT are, in contrast to a MegaStE (and vice versa)?
>I don't need ultra high speed. I do need to be able to use all the software
>I have for my old 1040ST (UK, 1986 TOS1.0 vintage). I would like at
>least 2meg, and to include a PC emulator, such as AT-once, and be able to
>access 2meg in PC mode. (So that I can run Smalltalk-V-286 - not Little
>Smtk).
>But please don't baffle me with electronic science!

Well, there are a couple of things that might influence your choice between
the two machines.

1> The TT directly supports the 19 inch mono monitor, the MegaSTE does not.
2> The TT can support up to (I think) 26 MB of ram, the Mega STE 4MB
3> The STE series is more 'compatible' with the pre-'E' software than the TT

For the average user points 1 and 2 mean very little, point #3 is very
important. Remember, the BEST machine is the one that best suits your needs.
Not everyone is required to own THE FASTEST machine (Only IBM'ers think that
way :)

From the sounds of it, you'd do more than fine with the MegaSTE

| patrick_meloy@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca |
| 'The Outbound' BBS Vancouver BC     |