[comp.sys.atari.st] Mouse and Keyboard dieing - fixes?

pegram@kira.UUCP (Robert B. Pegram) (03/12/91)

mouse and keyboard dieing (no response all of a sudden) under Spectre.
I speculated that my external floppy 520's power was being overloaded
or that the IKBD processor was going.

Last night, I substituted a later (beefier?) Atari switching Power
supply (PS) for my original non-switching supply.  Result: the mouse
is now dieing under TOS.  I guess that's progress - I was pretty sure
that the problem was not Dave Small's code.  However, has anyone else
had this problem - must I replace the IKBD processor, or just clean
and reseat it?  For that matter, could this problem be due to something
I'm not considering?  After all, both processors *and* their software *and*
the cabling between them must be in good shape, right?  I have rather
beaten on the cable to the motherboard in past times 8-).

Thanks for any help,
		    Bob Pegram

pegram@griffin.uvm.edu
	or
...!uvm-gen!pegram

hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) (03/12/91)

pegram@kira.UUCP (Robert B. Pegram) writes:
>Last night, I substituted a later (beefier?) Atari switching Power
>supply (PS) for my original non-switching supply.  Result: the mouse
>is now dieing under TOS.  I guess that's progress - I was pretty sure
>that the problem was not Dave Small's code.  However, has anyone else

Try to insert a gold-plated sockes between the original sockes and the
keyboard processor.

Atari uses lousy sockets...

hase
--