[comp.sys.atari.st] DISK trouble

chuj@spot.Colorado.EDU (CHU JEFFREY) (03/12/91)

	I was wondering if anyone out there knows of a program for the
mac to retreive files from a damage disk on the MAC.  A friend of mine
recently lost all her legal files from her MAC SE which seemed to have
ruin her disk.  I know this is an ST newsgrp, but many of the st owners
have mac emulators, perhaps those who know can assist.

	Another Problem, ST HD.
	I have been getting continous vertical shifting on my monochrome
moniter everytime
my HardDisk ran consistently reading or writting.  After the HardDisk
stops my moniter still continues to be vertically shifting.  It only happens
on the mono moniter not on the color moniter.  I am running a ICD adapter
with a Adaptec 4070A.  So far to solve the problem, I allways have to shut
of the ST and reboot again.  My dealer tech. said the frequency on the mono
had something to do with it since the color had no problem.
	IF anyone knows how to solve these problems please let me know.
	Thank You.

						chuj@spot.colorado.edu

boyd@bind.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (03/12/91)

In article <1991Mar11.201412.16466@csn.org>, chuj@spot.Colorado.EDU (CHU JEFFREY) writes:
>	Another Problem, ST HD.
>	I have been getting continous vertical shifting on my monochrome
>moniter everytime
>my HardDisk ran consistently reading or writting.  After the HardDisk
>stops my moniter still continues to be vertically shifting.  It only happens
>on the mono moniter not on the color moniter.  I am running a ICD adapter
>with a Adaptec 4070A.  So far to solve the problem, I allways have to shut
>of the ST and reboot again.  My dealer tech. said the frequency on the mono
>had something to do with it since the color had no problem.

This is a well documented problem with the new cable that ICD is including
with their host adaptors (DMA cable, from HD to computer).  You need to
call ICD and ask for a new cable, which they will send for free.  This seems
to happen only to some machines (or so ICD told me).  It is a shame, since
this cable looks much nicer than the older ones (one of which they will send
you to fix the problem).  Ah well, it's behind the machine anyway . . .

--
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "It's amazing how much growing up

carter@cat27.cs.wisc.edu (Gregory Carter) (03/12/91)

[...]

Mmm, for your first problem, try Norton Utilities, if that can't help you,
take it too an Apple dealer with some sort of knowledge of data recovery
methods, your friend might not be able to get all her stuff off the damaged
disk, but some is better than none!

As for your hard drive problem, I have read about people who have similair
problems with usually have the hard drive near the computer, OR have an
extended monitor cable, or a memory upgrade which they had to remove the
shielding from their computer.

Either that it seems like your getting an echo, perhaps on your power line
from both the computerand monitor.  Try plugging in an ISOBAR or seperate
the computer and your peripherals on different circuits.

I hope this helps...

--Gregory

bart@bluemoon.uucp (Bart Jaszcz) (03/13/91)

chuj@spot.Colorado.EDU (CHU JEFFREY) writes:

> 	I was wondering if anyone out there knows of a program for the
> mac to retreive files from a damage disk on the MAC.  A friend of mine
> recently lost all her legal files from her MAC SE which seemed to have
> ruin her disk.  I know this is an ST newsgrp, but many of the st owners
> have mac emulators, perhaps those who know can assist.

Well, I don't know if this will help.  I use a program called 'SUM disk
clinic'   -  I'm not sure if it's pd or commercial  -  it came with a GCC
technologies hard drive