[comp.sys.atari.st] UUCP

MCCABE@MTUS5.BITNET (05/23/89)

Date:    22 May 89, 11:55:43 EST
From:    Jim McCabe                                     MCCABE   at MTUS5
To:      INFO-ATARI16 at SCORE.STANFORD.EDU
Subject: UUCP

Does anyone have any direct experience with any UUCP programs for the
ST?  I'd like to hear comments from people who actually have tried to
use UUPC, UUCICO, or any other UUCP clones?  I've got some specific
questions:

     a)  how reliable are they?
     b)  how flexible are they in terms of where files are placed in
         the filesystem
     c)  how much space do they require? (RAM, disk)
     d)  how good are the manuals, and how hard is it to get a working
         system configured?

Thanks!  Any comments will be appreciated...

                                                Jim McCabe
                                                MCCABE @ MTUS5.BITNET

to_stdnet@stag.UUCP (05/28/89)

From: stag!thelake!steve@bungia.mn.org (Steve Yelvington)

 MCCABE@MTUS5.BITNET writes ...

> Does anyone have any direct experience with any UUCP programs for the
> ST?  I'd like to hear comments from people who actually have tried to
> use UUPC, UUCICO, or any other UUCP clones?  I've got some specific
> questions:

I have direct experience with UUMAIL and the UUCALL program that is
distributed with STadel BBS. Other programs that I know of, but have not
used, include Beckemeyer's UUCP (for owners of his multitasking package)
and the freeware program UUPC. John Logajan (logajan@logajan.mn.org) has
written MAILTRUK in compilable GFA BASIC.

>      a)  how reliable are they?

I have found both UUMAIL and UUCALL to be quite reliable, with rare
and minor error-handling problems.

>      b)  how flexible are they in terms of where files are placed in
>          the filesystem

UUMAIL requires that you designate a spool directory with child
directories for each system you net with. The spool directory can be
anywhere.

UUCALL uses the STadel net directory, which can be anywhere.

>      c)  how much space do they require? (RAM, disk)

UUCP isn't a monster. Either program will run on a 512K system with the
equivalent of a double-sided floppy. If you get a lot of mail, of course,
you'll need disk space for it.

>      d)  how good are the manuals, and how hard is it to get a working
>          system configured?

What's a manual? :-)

I got UUMAIL up and running in about 20 minutes of cutting and pasting
configuration files. STadel's UUCALL took a bit longer; I was confused by
some outdated documentation.

> Thanks!  Any comments will be appreciated...
>
>                                                 Jim McCabe
>                                                 MCCABE @ MTUS5.BITNET

Other stuff:

UUMAIL uses your favorite editor and file pager. It can support incoming
calls as well as call out. It handles two forms of address-lookup tables.
It does not handle Usenet batched news, but has a pseudonews function for
remailing to a list of systems. STdNET has several UUMAIL nodes hooked
into stag, receiving this newsgroup broken up into regular mail files. It
was written by Dale Schumacher, who has moved on to the mysterious planet
of Minix. I think John Stanley may be working on enhancements now.

UUCALL wants to be used in conjunction with STadel BBS, which is an
excellent BBS, but not as convenient as your favorite text editor. It does
not support incoming UUCP calls. Batched (not compressed) news is
supported, but you can't post news. E-mail can be routed transparently
between UUCP and the STadel BBS network, which uses a different protocol.
UUCALL will handle any Internet-format messages, and Jim Kershner has
written a utility to import/ export Fidonet echomail in conjunction with
UUCALL and Binkley Term. David (orc) Parsons is the author of STadel and
UUCALL (shareware).

I currently use UUMAIL for my UUCP stuff but maintain STadel as a
personal "point" system so that I can receive the Citadel network's C and
Atari ST discussions.

#define steve@thelake.UUCP   shamash!bungia!stag!thelake!steve
#define steve@thelake.CTDL   the_land!class68!thelake!steve

bill@meadow.UUCP (Bill Foster) (05/30/89)

> From: stag!thelake!steve@bungia.mn.org (Steve Yelvington)
>
>  MCCABE@MTUS5.BITNET writes ...
> >
> > Does anyone have any direct experience with any UUCP programs for the
> > ST?  I'd like to hear comments from people who actually have tried to
> > use UUPC, UUCICO, or any other UUCP clones?  I've got some specific
> > questions:
> >

> I have direct experience with UUMAIL and the UUCALL program that is
> distributed with STadel BBS. Other programs that I know of, but have not
> used, include Beckemeyer's UUCP (for owners of his multitasking package)
> and the freeware program UUPC. John Logajan (logajan@logajan.mn.org) has
> written MAILTRUK in compilable GFA BASIC.
>
> UUMAIL uses your favorite editor and file pager. It can support incoming
> calls as well as call out. It handles two forms of address-lookup tables.
> It does not handle Usenet batched news, but has a pseudonews function for
> remailing to a list of systems. STdNET has several UUMAIL nodes hooked
> into stag, receiving this newsgroup broken up into regular mail files. It
> was written by Dale Schumacher, who has moved on to the mysterious planet
> of Minix. I think John Stanley may be working on enhancements now.
>
> UUCALL wants to be used in conjunction with STadel BBS, which is an
> excellent BBS, but not as convenient as your favorite text editor. It does
> not support incoming UUCP calls. Batched (not compressed) news is
> supported, but you can't post news. E-mail can be routed transparently
> between UUCP and the STadel BBS network, which uses a different protocol.
> UUCALL will handle any Internet-format messages, and Jim Kershner has
> written a utility to import/ export Fidonet echomail in conjunction with
> UUCALL and Binkley Term. David (orc) Parsons is the author of STadel and
> UUCALL (shareware).

I have written a system similar to that of STadel.  It supports batched news
and outgoing calls.  With the bbs software, it supports full Unix style
crontab outgoing calls plus incoming calls, etc.
    You can post to news and reply via email, and there is also a
transparent network of Atari's running this software.  Much superior to rnews.
It supports signature files, one directory per user, access levels, etc.
    The really nice thing about this software is that it is designed to work
on any type of terminal (main console, serial port, extra serial ports).
The message base and full screen editor will also run under Beckemeyer's RTX
if you have it.  This way you can use it on your remote in the other room in
the background, or set up a bbs that is full screen menu driven and supports
every intelligent terminal that Unix does.  The bbs is very flexible and will
run anything you write to go along with it.
    Currently you must use the Freeware UUPC to support unix access to the
message base, or you could get all of the best newsgroups via another Atari.
The Atari networker also supports file transfers (better than uuto) and is
designed for concurrent software development at multiple sites.

 Message Base + Full screen editor + Atari Networker + BBS + Freeware UUPC

    For more info please email.

                  BFOSTER = GEnie,  WHTB33B = Prodigy
    {~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~}
    {~}     <> Bill Foster <>         |                            {~}
    {~}                             |                              {~}
    {~}                           |        Vegetarians 4-ever      {~}
    {~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~}
             {amdahl,hplabs,decwrl}!pacbell!cpro!meadow!bill

JC5LSANU@mIamIU.aCs.mUOhIo.eDU (03/13/91)

Could someone tell me where to find uucp.  I looked on atari.archive
but they only had the .c files.  I don't have a C compiler so I would
like to get a copy of the executables.  Thanks in advance..

*** jc5lsanu@miamiu.acs.muohio.edu
*** jmcrider@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu

       John Crider

rlcollins@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Ryan 'Gozar' Collins) (03/13/91)

In article <91071.221945JC5LSANU@mIamIU.aCs.mUOhIo.eDU>, <JC5LSANU@mIamIU.aCs.mUOhIo.eDU> writes:
> Could someone tell me where to find uucp.  I looked on atari.archive
> but they only had the .c files.  I don't have a C compiler so I would
> like to get a copy of the executables.  Thanks in advance..

John, I've download the entire Mercury UUCP implementation, if you get a
hold of me I can get you a copy.

Ryan 'Gozar' Collins 	  Question for IBM Users:      rlcollins@miavx1.BITNET
  / || \  The Price!!	      Subdirectory?               R.COLLINS1 on GEnie