[comp.sys.atari.st] TOS 1.4 /auto/ folder stuff

steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) (03/09/91)

I now have TOS 1.4, and I'm not sure what /auto/ folder programs
I ought to be using with it. FATSPEED apparently isn't compatible
or necessary. I have FOLDR200.PRG (probably overkill). I'm running
DCACHE 1.0f. Is there anything else I really ought to have?

----
  Steve Yelvington / P. O. Box 38 / Marine on St. Croix, MN 55047 USA
  INTERNET: steve@thelake.mn.org    UUCP: plains!umn-cs!thelake!steve

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (03/12/91)

steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) writes:
>I now have TOS 1.4, and I'm not sure what /auto/ folder programs
>I ought to be using with it. FATSPEED apparently isn't compatible
>or necessary. I have FOLDR200.PRG (probably overkill). I'm running
>DCACHE 1.0f. Is there anything else I really ought to have?

Yes, you should have POOLFIX3.PRG.  This is a program which fixes a serious
bug in GEMDOS.  The bug doesn't bite all the time, but often enough and
seriously enough that "Thou Shalt Run POOLFIX Under TOS 1.4 And 1.6" is a
good commandment to have lying around.

I don't know what DCACHE does, but it is probably different from what
CACHEnnn does.  CACHEnnn installs multiple cache buffers in GEMDOS. The
resulting speedup in original TOS and Mega TOS (1.2) is small, but in TOS
1.4 it's great.  Try this: do a "show info" on a hard disk from the Desktop
once, then do it again on the same disk.  If the second time didn't cause
any hard-disk accesses, then you're in business.  If not, use CACHEnnn
(where nnn is three decimal digits, 080 is a good place to start).

cae@sdfvm1.vnet.ibm.com ("Cornelius Caesar") (03/12/91)

In message <A231020137@thelake.mn.org> steve@thelake.mn.org
   (Steve Yelvington) writes:
>I now have TOS 1.4, and I'm not sure what /auto/ folder programs
>I ought to be using with it. FATSPEED apparently isn't compatible
>or necessary. I have FOLDR200.PRG (probably overkill). I'm running
>DCACHE 1.0f. Is there anything else I really ought to have?

FATSPEED and FOLDRxxx aren't necessary. You might want to check some
of the TOS 1.4 fix programs which can be found in RAINBOW.ARC at the
panarthea archive (binaries/volume8 rainbow). There is also POOLF_CB.PRG
(a slightly enhanced POOLFIX3 from Claus Brod).
In addition to CACHExxx.PRG (recommended if you have enough RAM) I use
a printer spooler, GDOS, a software blitter, VDI_FIX.PRG (which fixes
an error in the virtual device handling) and CONS_FIX.PRG (which allows
using a software blitter like QUICKST or TURBO_ST together with GEMINI
so that they route their output to the console window instead of writing
directly to the screen). The latter two programs are from Karsten Isakovic
and came with my GEMINI 1.2 distribution which I also highly recommend.

   Cornelius                                      cae@sdfvm1.vnet.ibm.com

PS: I forgot my auto-time-setting program and STEPxx.PRG to switch the
    steprate of my 5.25" drive to 6 ms...

csuab@warwick.ac.uk (Steve Strong) (03/13/91)

>I don't know what DCACHE does, but it is probably different from what
>CACHEnnn does.  CACHEnnn installs multiple cache buffers in GEMDOS. The
>resulting speedup in original TOS and Mega TOS (1.2) is small, but in TOS
>1.4 it's great.  Try this: do a "show info" on a hard disk from the Desktop
>once, then do it again on the same disk.  If the second time didn't cause
>any hard-disk accesses, then you're in business.  If not, use CACHEnnn
>(where nnn is three decimal digits, 080 is a good place to start).

Hi,

I'm running TOS 1.6 and when in GEM it appears that the disk is cached
automatically to some extent. For example, if I double click on drive A,
shut the window and then double click again, the disk is not reaccessed.
This is great, but doesn't seem to work with NeoDesk 3 - which I use all the
time. I assumed this was NeoDesk doing something strange, so proceded to get
disk cache programs and try using them. They certainly stopped the disk
being reaccessed, but if I changed the disk, it didn't clear it's cache.
Consequently, on the next disk write, it wrote the directory entries from
the first disk onto the second - basically wrecking the whole disk :-(
Is this a problem with NeoDesk, or am I doing something wrong? The cache
programs I've tried are: acache, cache, dcache, chcache. If anyone can help,
I would be most grateful - I HATE the disk reaccessing every time I come up
a directory!

Thanks

Steve - csuab@uk.ac.warwick.cu

fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu (Michael Fischer) (03/13/91)

In article <9103121032.AA12932@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> cae@sdfvm1.vnet.ibm.com ("Cornelius Caesar") writes:
>In message <A231020137@thelake.mn.org> steve@thelake.mn.org
>   (Steve Yelvington) writes:
>>I now have TOS 1.4, and I'm not sure what /auto/ folder programs
>>I ought to be using with it. FATSPEED apparently isn't compatible
>>or necessary. I have FOLDR200.PRG (probably overkill). I'm running
>>DCACHE 1.0f. Is there anything else I really ought to have?
>
>FATSPEED and FOLDRxxx aren't necessary.

FOLDRxxx may still be needed.  Even with TOS 1.4 there is a static
allocation of storage which puts an upper limit on the number of
active folders you can have.  If you exceed this limit, you get a
message to that effect, the computer stops, and you must reboot.
Because of better use of the storage pool in TOS 1.4, you might be
able to get by just fine without increasing it.  Also, many hard disk
drivers increase it for you.  But if you do run out, you can use
FOLDRxxx to icrease it further.
| Michael Fischer <fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu>  |