[comp.sys.atari.st] C++

jdn@homxc.UUCP (12/10/86)

Does anyone know of C++ compiler or
preprocessor for the ST. I am using a 1040ST
with 20Mb hard drive, 512Kb ramdisk, and Mark Williams
C compiler. Thanks.

		Jonathan Nagy
		{ihnp4 | seismo | havard | allegra}!homxc!jdn

landay@cory.Berkeley.EDU (James A. Landay) (08/15/88)

Does anyone know of a C++ translator or compiler for the ST (PD or commercial?)

Thanks

James A. Landay

ARPA:   landay@cory.berkeley.edu
        ucbvax!cory!landay

leo@sunybcs.uucp (Leo Wilson) (08/16/88)

In article <5006@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> landay@cory.Berkeley.EDU (James A. Landay) writes:
>Does anyone know of a C++ translator or compiler for the ST (PD or commercial?)

Good question! And is there anyone out there working on porting gcc to
the ST? Please, I think this could be an interesting bit of PUBLIC news,
interesting to quite a large part of the net...
===
Leo E. Wilson  364 West Delavan Avenue, Buffalo, NY 14213-1412 (716)883-7573
(leo@gort.cs.Buffalo.EDU)    ...!sunybcs[!leow]!leo    leo@sunybcs.bitnet

meulenbr@cstw01.UUCP (Frans Meulenbroeks) (08/19/88)

In article <690@cs.Buffalo.EDU> leo@sunybcs.UUCP (Leo Wilson) writes:
>In article <5006@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> landay@cory.Berkeley.EDU (James A. Landay) writes:
>>Does anyone know of a C++ translator or compiler for the ST (PD or commercial?)
>
>Good question! And is there anyone out there working on porting gcc to
>the ST? Please, I think this could be an interesting bit of PUBLIC news,
>interesting to quite a large part of the net...
>===
>Leo E. Wilson  364 West Delavan Avenue, Buffalo, NY 14213-1412 (716)883-7573
>(leo@gort.cs.Buffalo.EDU)    ...!sunybcs[!leow]!leo    leo@sunybcs.bitnet

Porting gcc to the ST can be done, given enough time.
I've taken a small peek into this in the past though, and I decided not
to try this.
My reasons:
- gcc must be compiled using 32 bit int. I'm not aware of any ST compiler
  which can cross compile this.
- the gcc executable is big. Forget this on a 520 and perhaps even on a 1040
- compiling gcc itself takes up more memory than my 1040 has
- but the catcher:
  gcc contains a library calls to routines not available on the C
  compilers/linkers I'm aware of. (think about things like system, fork
  and exec).
I tried to port cpp from gcc to Minix, and that was not a trivial task,
let alone porting gcc.

(By the way: it is quite simple to port gnuchess to Minix, assuming that
you can live with the "simple" display version (no curses) )

Of course, I'm also interested to know if someone is busy porting gcc (or
even better: g++). But as for now, I think I'll try to obtain the ST
version of Turbo C in Germany as soon as it comes out (rumour says
september).
--
Frans Meulenbroeks
	Centre for Software Technology

gengenba@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Michael Gengenbach) (08/20/88)

In article <690@cs.Buffalo.EDU>, leo@sunybcs.uucp (Leo Wilson) writes:
> [...]
> Good question! And is there anyone out there working on porting gcc to
> the ST?
> [...]
> ===
> Leo E. Wilson  364 West Delavan Avenue, Buffalo, NY 14213-1412 (716)883-7573
> (leo@gort.cs.Buffalo.EDU)    ...!sunybcs[!leow]!leo    leo@sunybcs.bitnet

I've seen the following article in the gnu.gcc newsgroup a while ago:

#From: hyc@math.lsa.umich.edu (Howard Chu)
#Newsgroups: gnu.gcc
#Subject: Re: Anyone have gcc on an Atari ST?
#Date: 4 Aug 88 20:38:26 GMT
#Sender: usenet@math.lsa.umich.edu
#UUCP-Path: {mailrus,umix}!um-math!hyc
#
#In article <6175@chinet.chi.il.us> saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) writes:
#>The title says it.  I'd really like g++ even more, but the way I read the docs
#>gcc should be running first.  If someone is working on an Atari port, I'd
#>be willing to help (for whatever that's worth).
#
#I plan to get this going soon. Haven't started yet, but I've been in touch
#with two other people who've made some progress on this already. So far we
#can cross compile from Sun to Atari using gcc. I haven't tried x-compiling
#gcc itself yet, but that'll probably be the first stab. Next point will be
#getting decent libraries constructed.
#--
#  /
# /_ , ,_.                      Howard Chu
#/ /(_/(__                University of Michigan
#    /           Computing Center          College of LS&A
#   '              Unix Project          Information Systems
#
#

Michael Gengenbach  (Technical University Munich)

gengenbach@infovax.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de		   (X.400)
					          / relay.cs.net   (arpa/csnet)
gengenbach%infovax.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de@ - unido.uucp	   (uucp)
					          \ ddoinf6.bitnet (bitnet)

KLF1305@TAMVENUS.BITNET (08/27/88)

  On porting gcc to the ST, specifically about the 32 bit ints, I believe
that Lattice uses 32 bit ints, which is why it is slow compared to the
other compilers on the market.  I am not sure I would want to try to do
something as massive as gcc with Lattice C, though.

        Kelly Fergason

In article <265@infovax.lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de> gengenba@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Michael Gengenbach) writes:
%In article <690@cs.Buffalo.EDU>, leo@sunybcs.uucp (Leo Wilson) writes:
%> [...]
%> Good question! And is there anyone out there working on porting gcc to
%> the ST?
%> [...]
%> ===
%> Leo E. Wilson  364 West Delavan Avenue, Buffalo, NY 14213-1412 (716)883-7573
%> (leo@gort.cs.Buffalo.EDU)    ...!sunybcs[!leow]!leo    leo@sunybcs.bitnet
%
%
%I've seen the following article in the gnu.gcc newsgroup a while ago:
%
%#From: hyc@math.lsa.umich.edu (Howard Chu)
%#Newsgroups: gnu.gcc
%#Date: 4 Aug 88 20:38:26 GMT
%#Sender: usenet@math.lsa.umich.edu
%#UUCP-Path: {mailrus,umix}!um-math!hyc
%#
%#In article <6175@chinet.chi.il.us> saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) writes:
%#>The title says it.  I'd really like g++ even more, but the way I read the docs
%#>gcc should be running first.  If someone is working on an Atari port, I'd
%#>be willing to help (for whatever that's worth).
%#
%#I plan to get this going soon. Haven't started yet, but I've been in touch
%#with two other people who've made some progress on this already. So far we
%#can cross compile from Sun to Atari using gcc. I haven't tried x-compiling
%#gcc itself yet, but that'll probably be the first stab. Next point will be
%#getting decent libraries constructed.

Needless to say, I'm no longer working on porting gcc. (Thanks again to
John Dunning...!) Still no word from Richard Stallman about whether he'll
include Atari ST support in the next official gcc release. In any case,
since the gcc compiler will compile itself correctly on the ST, I don't
see any reason why g++ can't be ported over now...
--
  /

jrd@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.SYMBOLICS.COM (John R. Dunning) (09/02/88)

    Date: 1 Sep 88 16:16:40 GMT
    From: mailrus!um-math!hyc@rutgers.edu  (Howard Chu)
[...]
    Needless to say, I'm no longer working on porting gcc. (Thanks again to
    John Dunning...!)

You're welcome!
		      Still no word from Richard Stallman about whether he'll
    include Atari ST support in the next official gcc release.

It wouldn't surprise me if they don't want to; in addition to fixing
everything that deals in pathnames, starting processes, assuming
knowledge of the format of text files etc, I work for Symbolics, and he
still hates us.
							       In any case,
    since the gcc compiler will compile itself correctly on the ST, I don't
    see any reason why g++ can't be ported over now...

Right.  I've snarfed GCC 1.25 (that's the latest one for which there's a
companion G++) and am contemplating compiling it up this weekend to see
what happens.  However, a problem I expect to run into is that I won't
have anything good to test it on when it gets running.  For GCC I just
grabbed a bunch of random C programs from various archives, and tried
compiling them up, reasoning that if they ran, the compiler was probly
working ok.  I don't know of a source of C++ code; anybody got anything
they'd like to submit for testing?

sohrt%rover.utah.edu@wasatch.UUCP (Wolfgang Sohrt) (01/22/89)

Does anyone have experiences with a C++ (pre-)compiler for the Atari ST?

Please respond via mail, I'm going to summarize answers.

sohrt@wasatch.utah.edu (Wolfgang Sohrt) (05/15/89)

A few month ago I have asked if someone on the net has heard of a C++ compiler
for the Atari ST. I didn't get any response.

Meanwhile, the Mark Williams Co. responded to my letter. They wrote that they
are interested in C++, but not working on it right now, and that there is a
third party C++ precompiler around that supposedly works together with MWC and
is still being tested. (They didn't tell me the name of the "third party").

Has anyone seen a working C++ compiler or precompiler for the ST that doesn't
need more than 1 Megabyte?

Please mail answers to   sohrt@cs.utah.edu   . I'll post a summary.

Wolfgang Sohrt

The stuff above is my own ideas and doesn't necessarily represent the opinion
of anyone else around here.

akenning@pico.oz (Alan Kennington) (02/01/90)

I'm amazed that I haven't seen any mention of C++ for the Atari ST.
Does anyone if there is such a thing? After all, the IBM PC has had it for
years now.

ak.

boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (02/02/90)

In article <451@pico.oz>, akenning@pico.qpsx.oz (Alan Kennington) writes:

>I'm amazed that I haven't seen any mention of C++ for the Atari ST.
>Does anyone if there is such a thing? After all, the IBM PC has had it for
>years now.
>
>ak.

I believe the GNU C++ compiler has been successfully ported over to the
ST domain, and I also understand that the FSF is developing interest in
ST's (net rumor).  Another nifty story is their response to Apple legal
silliness.

    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
         Mickey Boyd                 |    "Nobody can be exactly like me.
                                     |      Even I have trouble doing it."
             FSU Comp Sci            |              - Tallulah Bankhead
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------

pfuetz@zgdvda.UUCP (Matthias Pfuetzner) (02/02/90)

Hallo!

Sure there is one of the best C and C++ compilers available for ATARI
ST.
GNU-C, GNU-C++, and all other GNU-Software are available for TOS and
minix from terminator.cc.umich.edu via anonymous ftp.
Hope this helps.

	Matthias

swklassen@tiger.waterloo.edu (Steven W. Klassen) (02/03/90)

In article <9002011956.AA16674@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu> boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) writes:
>I believe the GNU C++ compiler has been successfully ported over to the
>ST domain, and I also understand that the FSF is developing interest in

Can anyone confirm this and give a location (ie. archive or ftp site)
where it can be obtained?

Steven W. Klassen                       +-----------------------------+
Computer Science Major                  | Support the poor...buy fur! |
University of Waterloo                  +-----------------------------+

brazil@pawl.rpi.edu (Timothy E. Onders) (02/03/90)

In article <20466@watdragon.waterloo.edu> swklassen@tiger.waterloo.edu (Steven W. Klassen) writes:

>Can anyone confirm this and give a location (ie. archive or ftp site)
>where it can be obtained?

Yes, G++ exists for the ST. It's available from terminator.cc.umich.edu
for anonymous FTP (archive server too I think). However, it requires
at least two megs of memory, and preferrably four.

					-Tim Onders
					brazil@pawl.rpi.edu
					70135.563@CompuServe.COM

buggs@cup.portal.com (William Edward JuneJr) (02/04/90)

I can access the panarthea machine by mail.
How do I access the terminator machine?
No, I don't have ftp here.

Ed <Net neophyte> June

pegram@uvm-gen.UUCP (pegram r) (02/10/90)

From article <9002011956.AA16674@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu>, by boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd):
Deletions ....
> I believe the GNU C++ compiler has been successfully ported over to the
> ST domain, and I also understand that the FSF is developing interest in
> ST's (net rumor).
more deletions...

I hear it, but I want the facts.  Where do you get it and what does it
need to run (especially how much memory - 1meg,2,2.5,or the whole 4megs).
thanks
	Bob Pegram (pegram@griffin.uvm-gen.uvm.edu)

P.S. I know I posted needlessly on the Magnavox monitor too, but keep
it down to a dull roar guys (fist fights outside the net). Email is
the best way to do your heated name calling.  RBPIII

dhe@uafhcx.uucp (David Ewing) (02/11/90)

In article <1388@uvm-gen.UUCP>, pegram@uvm-gen.UUCP (pegram r) writes:

> I hear it, but I want the facts.  Where do you get it and what does it
> need to run (especially how much memory - 1meg,2,2.5,or the whole 4megs).
> thanks

    It requires at least 2 megs -- this fact as already been posted to the net
nearly every day, but the real question is WHY does it require SO MUCH memory?!
I'd really like an answer to that question.

         -Dave

 dhe@uafhcx.uark.edu                      David Ewing, University of Arkansas
 dhe@uafb15.uark.edu   "DON'T PANIC!!!"       Computer Science Engineering

si0_tb90020@debet.nhh.no (03/16/91)

I've only got one simple question: Does there excist any C++ compiler
for the ST?

terje