[comp.sys.atari.st] Supercharger problems/questions/answers

stu892103@gcc.uucp (Mr. Fantasy) (03/14/91)

In article <1991Feb8.162442.9741@cs.mcgill.ca>, depeche@cs.mcgill.ca (Acme
Instant Dehydrated Boulder Kit) writes:
> Excuse me - does anyone out there who uses a supercharger
> have problems with the ST crashing when you hit ctrl-s to pause the
> output in emulation mode?  It is getting me quite frustrated.

I have had a few problems with Supercharger, including the ctrl-s freeze up
problem.  There seems to be some problems with the new version of the software.
I have also experienced problems with using the Supercharger as a 1meg ramdisk
for the ST.  I discovered this when compressing/uncompressing files not long
after I got my Supercharger(SC).  I un-lharced a file that consisted of Degas
pictures and I could only view some of them, others were garbled badly, and the
rest couldn't be viewed at all.  So I thought what the heck, must have a bad
lharc-file here.  So, I used the test option and this seemed to be true.  But
then I took the same exact file and put it in a ST-internal-memory ramdisk and
checked it and it was fine.  So I (and others) have come to the assumption that
either I have a flakey memory chip in the SC, or that the ramdisk program is
defective.  Opinion is leaning toward the latter.
     I called Rio Computers, where I got the SC and told them the problem.  I
asked if they could send me the previous version of the software and they
gladly did this for free.  I've heard that some things run w/the older version
and not with the new (due to the lock-up bug).  Now I have both but haven't
tried the older version yet.  I also have an IBM diagnostics program that I
think will check the memory in the SC.  Very soon I will try to duplicate the
errors reliably and try out the old software.  I will post my findings.

     Anyone else having this kind of experience or already figured out the
problem?  I guess that the creators are working on the newest version to be out
soon.
Steven J. Greer			| UUCP:     ...!pitt!edinboro!gcc!stu892103
School:Box 2444			| INTERNET: stu892103%gcc@edinboro.edu
       Grove City College	|===============================================
       Grove City, PA 16127     | "A coincidence is a small miracle in which
................................|  God chooses to remain anonymous."
Home:--Box 25, Main St.		|			-Unknown by me
       Volant, PA  16156-0025   |

pyr579@oz.plymouth.edu (Technoid) (03/16/91)

In article <587@gcc.uucp> stu892103@gcc.uucp (Mr. Fantasy) writes:
>     Anyone else having this kind of experience or already figured out the
>problem?  I guess that the creators are working on the newest version to be out
>soon.
Hey,

	I also have had problems with the SC RAMdisk when run on the Atari side
I find that the more operations I do within the RAMdisk, the more likely it
is to start acting as though the <ESC> key is pressed and stuck. It just keeps
refreshing and theat obnoxious keyclick goes constantly. Sometimes I can stop
it, but generally I must abort the entire thing and reboot. Perhaps this has
something to do with NeoDesk ( I hope not, because I will never return to
Atari Desktop ). Anyone had trouble with this? Also for all you modem users,
I have seen a version of Procomm kicking around that is setup for the SC, I
have as I suspect most of you do, the use of an IBM close by. Simply take the
regular Procomm and modify parameters to use COM2, this is <ALT> P. Then
save it, it will work perfectly on SC the first time and no bother of
downloading what for some reason is a much larger file.

	I'm interested to hear what people have been doing with their SC's
please E-mail. Also anyone know about that expansion bus inside the SC, it
is standard? If it is, their is a great possiblity of running cards off it
I would suspect.

CU L8R Stephan

--
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
  pyr579@oz.plymouth.edu      Stephan R. Cleaves

mc4c+@andrew.cmu.edu (Mark Choi) (03/16/91)

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.atari.st: 15-Mar-91 Re: Supercharger
> problems/q.. Technoid@oz.plymouth.edu (1670)

> Hey,

> 	I also have had problems with the SC RAMdisk when run on the Atari side
> I find that the more operations I do within the RAMdisk, the more likely
> it
> is to start acting as though the <ESC> key is pressed and stuck. It just
> keeps
> refreshing and theat obnoxious keyclick goes constantly. Sometimes I can
> stop
> it, but generally I must abort the entire thing and reboot. Perhaps this
> has
> something to do with NeoDesk ( I hope not, because I will never return to
> Atari Desktop ). Anyone had trouble with this? Also for all you modem
> users,
> I have seen a version of Procomm kicking around that is setup for the
> SC, I
> have as I suspect most of you do, the use of an IBM close by. Simply
> take the
> regular Procomm and modify parameters to use COM2, this is <ALT> P. Then
> save it, it will work perfectly on SC the first time and no bother of
> downloading what for some reason is a much larger file.

> 	I'm interested to hear what people have been doing with their SC's
> please E-mail. Also anyone know about that expansion bus inside the SC,
> it
> is standard? If it is, their is a great possiblity of running cards off
> it
> I would suspect.

This is a real pain in the neck. One way to minimize this si to always
hold the reset button in while you reboot, like it mentions in the
manual. This is also a pain in the neck, and a mark of bad design, but
is less annoying than that repeated ESC. The bus is NOT standard, nor
could it be, in that sapce, but the new 80286/386 add ons supposedly
have the abitity for an external expansion cage for standard ISA cards.
This does include the use of SVGA with a SVGA monitor etc.! Too bad we
can't use them in standard Atari mode. :^(.

jan@janhh.hanse.de (Jan Willamowius) (03/17/91)

From article <587@gcc.uucp>, by stu892103@gcc.uucp (Mr. Fantasy):
> [SuperCharger problems]
> ... I've heard that some things run w/the older version
> and not with the new (due to the lock-up bug).  Now I have both but haven't
> tried the older version yet.

I talked to the guy who wrote part of the SuperCharger software yesterday
on the CeBit. He told me of at least one problem in the new software (1.50)
that doesn't exist in the older versions. (in this case impossible
double-click with PC-GEM)

- Jan