[comp.sys.atari.st] HELP!!! PLEASE!!!

thompson@tortoise.cis.ohio-state.edu (jeffery d thompson) (03/14/91)

    When I play games on my ST I use my T.V. because of the much larger screen.
Some of the games I bought are from england and they run at a different
frequency, causing the screen to flip. The problem is that my T.V. doesn't
have a manual vertical hold, and since the T.V. doesn't adjust enough by
itself it will always flip. So my question is, is there a hardware hookup that
will adjust the frequency or maybe a "good" virus that would disable the
programs ability to change the frequency available. Also, an explanation of
why the programs change the frequency in the first place would be appreciated.
						Jeff
					thompson@cis.ohio-state.edu

boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (03/14/91)

In article <95276@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, <thompson@tortoise.cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:

>    When I play games on my ST I use my T.V. because of the much larger screen.
>Some of the games I bought are from england and they run at a different
>frequency, causing the screen to flip. The problem is that my T.V. doesn't
>have a manual vertical hold, and since the T.V. doesn't adjust enough by
>itself it will always flip. So my question is, is there a hardware hookup that
>will adjust the frequency or maybe a "good" virus that would disable the
>programs ability to change the frequency available. Also, an explanation of
>why the programs change the frequency in the first place would be appreciated.

Well, to answer your last question first, games frequently resync the monitor
to have more clock cycles available for other stuff.  If you run some games
(or demos, which also often do this) at 60Hz (USA standard), they slow down
tremendously.  Now, to my understanding, european monitors default to 50Hz.
Thus, you need what is called a 50Hz Booter.  It is a small program that
runs, then tells you to insert the disk to be booted and press a key.  The
Booter then reboots, but leaves the monitor syncing at 50Hz.  If there is
not such a booter on atari.archive, I can post one there.  I can also email
you a copy, if you like.

I do not know if this will work on your televison, I have never tried it.  I
would imagine that it will though.

--
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "It's amazing how much growing up

weiner@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Jeff Weiner) (03/14/91)

In article <1991Mar13.214444.28936@mailer.cc.fsu.edu> boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu writes:

>tremendously.  Now, to my understanding, european monitors default to 50Hz.
>Thus, you need what is called a 50Hz Booter.  It is a small program that
>runs, then tells you to insert the disk to be booted and press a key.  The
>Booter then reboots, but leaves the monitor syncing at 50Hz.  If there is
>not such a booter on atari.archive, I can post one there.  I can also email
>you a copy, if you like.

Yes, there is one here.  Try looking at the following:

~atari/graphics/50hzboot.prg (too small to bother arcing)

weiner

--
Jeff Weiner    	weiner@terminator.cc.umich.edu	     Jeff_Weiner@ub.cc.umich.edu
      Mail Dennis_Devine@ub.cc.umich.edu and ask if he'd like a tuna melt

hyc@hanauma.jpl.nasa.gov (Howard Chu) (03/14/91)

In article <1991Mar13.214444.28936@mailer.cc.fsu.edu> boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu writes:
>In article <95276@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, <thompson@tortoise.cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>>    When I play games on my ST I use my T.V. because of the much larger screen.
>>Some of the games I bought are from england and they run at a different
>>frequency, causing the screen to flip. The problem is that my T.V. doesn't
>>have a manual vertical hold, and since the T.V. doesn't adjust enough by
>>itself it will always flip. So my question is, is there a hardware hookup that

>Well, to answer your last question first, games frequently resync the monitor
>to have more clock cycles available for other stuff.  If you run some games
>(or demos, which also often do this) at 60Hz (USA standard), they slow down
>tremendously.  Now, to my understanding, european monitors default to 50Hz.
[suggestion of 50hz booter deleted]

The TV is flipping because the program successfully set the video to 50hz
already and the TV is having trouble syncing up. A 50hz booter won't help
the situation. You really need to be able to tweak the vertical hold...
I'm sure the TV has the control internally. (Dunno, maybe these modern
all-digital ones don't. Haven't looked.) Just fyi, another reason to switch
to 50hz - you get 100 more scanlines on the physical display, of which the
ST can use maybe 80 more, max. But also, getting vertical blank interrupts
at 50 instead of 60hz probably does free up a chunk of CPU time...

total aside... I'm looking into hooking up a 25" Proton monitor/receiver
to my ST. This model has an RGB input, so it oughta look pretty slick.
Apparently new video equipment is all going with S-connectors, tho - anyone
have a nice kit to convert RGB to YC video?
--
  -- Howard Chu @ Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, CA
	Disclaimer: How would I know, I just got here!

mathew@mwowm.mantis.co.uk (mathew) (03/18/91)

In <95276@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, jeffery d thompson writes:
>    When I play games on my ST I use my T.V. because of the much larger screen.
>Some of the games I bought are from england and they run at a different
>frequency, causing the screen to flip. The problem is that my T.V. doesn't
>have a manual vertical hold, and since the T.V. doesn't adjust enough by
>itself it will always flip. So my question is, is there a hardware hookup that
>will adjust the frequency or maybe a "good" virus that would disable the
>programs ability to change the frequency available.

That wouldn't help. It would probably break the program, especially if the
program in question was an arcade game.

>                                                    Also, an explanation of
>why the programs change the frequency in the first place would be appreciated.

European TVs work at 50 Hz. We make up for the fewer frames per second by
having more vertical resolution and properly-encoded colours. One of the
things which amazed me about US TV on visiting the US was that it really was
as bad as it looks over here. I had always assumed that it looked all
blurry and smeared because of some defect in the NTSC->PAL conversion.
It really spoilt "Cheers" when they went from film to grotty US video.

The only solution to your problem is to get a better TV, I'm afraid. My Sony
works at either 50 or 60 Hz. I gather that Atari monitors work at either
speed, as well... and of course, a multisync will handle it with no trouble.

mathew