[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari text --> IBM text

mccd@jetson.uh.edu (03/16/91)

    I want to convert an ASCII file, which is being created on an Atari
computer, to an ASCII file readable by an IBM_PC DOS.  The point is that
I want to know if there is a  utility that would make it possible for me
to make the file readable on the IBM_PC and therefore make it possible to
be converted to  a DOS compatible text.
   I have done this before for a Kaypro computer, by using a utility called
Uniform, however I have not found anything for Atari.  Thanks in advance.

						Reza Golshan
						Elect. Engineering
						University of Houston(Park)

mg20+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Paul Greelish) (03/17/91)

As far as I know (and I've done a few file conversions, IBM to Mac to
Atari, etc.) you don't need *ANY* utilities to convert ASCII text from
the Atari to the IBM. Atari ST's use *almost* the same file format as
the IBM 3.5" format. Just format the disk on the IBM, pop it in the
Atari (Ataris seem to always like IBM disks while IBMs occasionally
gronk on Atari formatted disks, and hey, don't format it at 1.44 Mb!)
and save your text, ASCII format.

Then, stick the disk in the IBM, do a "dir", and your file should be
there. You can see it with Mess-Dos "type" command, and if you get an
MS-DOS word processor that reads ASCII (most can) then you can do fancy
things with it (like add fonts, boldface & stuff that doesn't convert
well.)

It's *REALLY* easy.

|\    /|
|  \/  |  ike Greelish
Carnegie Mellon U. undergrad, professional writing major
quote: "Speak softly and carry a phased plasma rifle." ---me
stupid disclaimer: My opinions have been known to piss people off.

rcb@netcom.COM (Roy Bixler) (03/18/91)

In article <8800.27e16bb9@jetson.uh.edu> mccd@jetson.uh.edu writes:

>    I want to convert an ASCII file, which is being created on an Atari
>computer, to an ASCII file readable by an IBM_PC DOS.  The point is that
>I want to know if there is a  utility that would make it possible for me
>to make the file readable on the IBM_PC and therefore make it possible to
>be converted to  a DOS compatible text.

It shouldn't be necessary to do any conversion.  Atari and MeSs-DOS
both use straight ASCII characters with lines terminated by a CR-LF
combination.

But if, for example, you created your file on the Atari with First
Word Plus in word processing mode, that's a different question
completely: how to convert First Word Plus documents to ASCII?  Is
this your problem or did the above paragraph answer the question?

--
Roy Bixler
rcb@netcom.com -or- (UUCP) uunet!apple!netcom!rcb

vsnyder@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Van Snyder) (03/19/91)

In article <UbshXN600VBAIMhEUx@andrew.cmu.edu> mg20+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Paul Greelish) writes:
>As far as I know...
>... you don't need *ANY* utilities to convert ASCII text from
>the Atari to the IBM...
>
>..., and if you get an
>MS-DOS word processor that reads ASCII (most can) then you can do fancy
>things with it (like add fonts, boldface & stuff that doesn't convert
>well.)

WordPerfect 4.2 for the ST schleps just fine to WP 5.1 on the PC.  Like the
original article said, format your 3.5" diskettes (at 720k) on the PC.

--
vsnyder@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov
ames!elroy!jato!vsnyder