[comp.sys.atari.st] Prolog for the ST

bammi@cwruecmp.UUCP (Jwahar R. Bammi) (03/20/87)

Mini review of XPRO ( eXtended PROlog interpreter) for the Atari St's

	Supplier:
		Rational Visions
		7111 W. Indian School Rd. Suite 131
		Phoenix, AZ 85033
		(602) 846-0371

	Cost:
		$39.95	(no typo here !)

	Features:
		o Edinburg Standard Syntax
		o Integrated Emacs like text editor
		o Floating point and Math functions
		o Many Meta Programming Primitives
		o Built in DCG ( grammar rule translator)
		o Full access to Vdi and Aes
		o Most useful Gemdos calls are supported
		o Support for stand alone user written application
		(a standalone run file is provided that can run a
		 data base that has been 'save'ed. you are free
		 to distribute the run only program, free of any
		 licensing and other nonsense).

	First Impressions: (after running likes(john, mary) and the demos)
		You Can't afford not to buy one!!

	Those not interested in more details hit 'j' now ----

Here is a brief and incomplete list of primitives:

	Evaluable primitives:
		Implements most of the primitives found in Dec-10/C-Prolog,
	including the meta-level ones like: name, op, arg, functor =.. etc

	Control primitives:
	 abort, break, halt trace, notrace repeat, true, fail, not,-> etc

	Comparison Primitives:
	= \= < > =< >= == \== =:= =\=

	I/O:
	  see, seeing, tell, telling, told read, write, writeq, get0,
	  get, nl, tab, put, skip, ttyget0, ttyget, ttyput, ttytab,
	  ttynl etc.

	Knowledge Base:
	  assert, asserta, assertz, retract, retractall, clause,
	  listing, finall, forall, consult, reconsult, remove,
	  phrase, save etc.

	Integer Arith:
	  +-/* mod Ones complement, and, or, right/left shift
	  rand, abs, round, max, min, succ

	Real Arith:
 	 +-*/^ mod abs, max, min, sqrt, ln, exp, sin, cos, tan, atan

	Support for random access data structures like arrays (allot primitive)

	Access to arbitrary memory via peek and poke (byte, word, longword)

	i/O primitives that don't require the '.' (readl rdstrg etc)

	Full access to Aes/Vdi and their parameter arrays
	Access to most Gemdos functions (not all).
	Xpro recognizes prn:, aux: and con: file designators.

	I have'nt used it enough to comment further, except to say that
whatever i have tried so far (without reading the manual) works pretty
much as expected, and quite quickly too.

	Obviously i have no connection with rational visions etc.
--
usenet: {decvax,cbatt,cbosgd,sun}!cwruecmp!bammi	jwahar r. bammi
csnet:       bammi@case

drs@bnl.UUCP (06/14/87)

On my way to Usenix, I was reading the June '87 issue of AI magazine, where
there is a review of a large number of prologs for pc's.  In particular, they
mention two for the ST, one called MPROLOG by Logicware Inc for a cost in the
100's and one called XPRO by a company called Rational Visions which had a
cost of $40.  The good news is that the second company had a Phoenix address,
and since I was going to be there for a week I thought I would drop in to see
them.  To make a long story short, the phone number in the review was out of
service, and the address was in a u-rent-it type of place, so it is not at all
clear where these people are located - they may not even live in Arizona.  I'm
not saying that it doesn't exist, but I wouldn't send cash!

Since the magazines have incredible lead times, and since benchmarks were
included, has anyone out there seen either of these products or have any
proof of their existence?  (The first one had no benchmark results, so I'm
a bit suspicious there as well).

	< dave stampf

bammi@cwruecmp.UUCP (06/18/87)

In article <8@bnl.UUCP> drs@bnl.UUCP (David R. Stampf) writes:
>clear where these people are located - they may not even live in Arizona.  I'm
>not saying that it doesn't exist, but I wouldn't send cash!
	I have a copy of Xpro and even an upgrade! It is well worth the
$40.
--
usenet: {decvax,cbosgd,sun}!cwruecmp!bammi	jwahar r. bammi
csnet:       bammi@cwru.edu   <---------Please note change of address

silvert@dalcs.UUCP (06/18/87)

In article <8@bnl.UUCP>, drs@bnl.UUCP (David R. Stampf) writes:
> ..... and one called XPRO by a company called Rational Visions which had a
> cost of $40.  The good news is that the second company had a Phoenix address,
> and since I was going to be there for a week I thought I would drop in to see
> them.  To make a long story short, the phone number in the review was out of
> service, and the address was in a u-rent-it type of place, so it is not at all
> clear where these people are located - they may not even live in Arizona.  I'm
> not saying that it doesn't exist, but I wouldn't send cash!

I purchased XPRO about a month or so ago by calling RV and then sending
cash.  It arrived promptly, and even though I am a Prolog novice, I find
it fine.  At least, when I work through C&M and try various exercises,
they work.

When I called I got a sort of general secretary, who sounds as though
she may be shared by several small operations.  I was then referred to a
man who sounded more like the author of the program than a salesman --
he knew Prolog, and gave me hints to get me started (book
recommendations, etc.).  I sent my money, and the package was sent
promptly.

My dealer has been unable to get XPRO through his distributors, so I
suspect that RV operates by direct sales only.

so far as I can tell it is a legit operation and the package is fine.

--
Bill Silvert, Modelling/Statistics Group, Marine Fish Division
Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Dartmouth, NS, Canada B2Y 4A2

fnf@mcdsun.UUCP (Fred Fish) (06/19/87)

In article <2571@dalcs.UUCP> silvert@dalcs.UUCP (Bill Silvert) writes:
>In article <8@bnl.UUCP>, drs@bnl.UUCP (David R. Stampf) writes:
>> cost of $40.  The good news is that the second company had a Phoenix
>> address, and since I was going to be there for a week I thought I would
>> drop in to see them.  To make a long story short, the phone number in the
>> review was out of service, and the address was in a u-rent-it type of
>> place, so it is not at all clear where these people are located - they
>> may not even live in Arizona.  I'm not saying that it doesn't exist, but
>> I wouldn't send cash!
>
>When I called I got a sort of general secretary, who sounds as though
>she may be shared by several small operations.  I was then referred to a
>man who sounded more like the author of the program than a salesman --
>he knew Prolog, and gave me hints to get me started (book
>recommendations, etc.).  I sent my money, and the package was sent
>promptly.

If this is who I think it is (Rick B.) then yes, it is definitely legit.
He was just over at my house a week ago, to see my Amiga and talk to me about
his upcoming port of Prolog to that machine.  We used to work together several
years ago and I have a lot of confidence in his technical abilities.
So if his package interests you, don't let the marketing issues deter you.
(I have no association with him or his company other than being a longtime
personal friend).

I've cross posted to comp.sys.amiga since they may be interested to
know that a port is pending for that machine.

-Fred

(inews defeater)
(inews defeater)
(inews defeater)
(inews defeater)
(inews defeater)
(inews defeater)
(inews defeater)

--
= Drug tests; just say *NO*!
= Fred Fish  Motorola Computer Division, 3013 S 52nd St, Tempe, Az 85282  USA

dwyer@inmet.UUCP (06/19/87)

Earlier this year a review of XPRO was posted to this notes group.

After reading that review I called "Rational Visions" (the guy who
wrote XPRO) to ask some questions.  He was very willing to talk
about his product, in fact we talked in some detail about it's
implementation and his ideas for future products.

I ordered the product, and received it within 2 weeks.  It is a
reasonable implementation of Prolog, with the usual built in predicates
and a number of ST/GEM/TOS specific predicates.

All in all a good deal for $34.

matt dwyer

uucp:       {bellcore,harvard!wjh12!mirror,ihnp4}!inmet!dwyer
internet:   mirror!inmet!dwyer@CCA-UNIX.ARPA

Chen.wbst@XEROX.COM (11/23/87)

I'm currently starting to work on my thesis and I need to use the language
Prolog.  Does anyone have any experience working with any of the Prologs for
the ST?  I heard there was a public domain version, but I haven't got a
chance to try that out yet.  Are there anyother versions available?

		Thanks in Advance,

			Dan

fharris@NPS-CS.ARPA (frank harris x2174) (01/14/88)

  Can someone send me some information on diffrent Prolog interpreters
or compilers for the ST. I'm particularly interested to know if
C-Prolog or M-Prolog is available.
                       Thanx a lot
                               Frank...........................

klamer@mi.eltn.utwente.nl (Klamer Schutte) (03/19/91)

I am forwarding this message for Jens Kilian, kilian@cc.GaTech.edu.

In article <klamer.669316722@mi.eltn.utwente.nl> Klamer Schutte writes:
>When you care about execution speed, you don't want toy prolog.
>It is ssssssoooooo sssssslllllloooowwwww (get it ;-)

That's why it was called `TOY' Prolog by the original authors
(Kluzniak & Szpakowicz); it's also one of the things that made me
NOT change the name after I had completely rewritten most of the program.

If you want a really fast Prolog, try Prolog-68 (comp.binaries.atari.st,
volume 13, available on the Panarthea server). It is about 26 times faster
than TOU Prolog ST; on the nrev benchmark, it almost reaches 12 KLIPS.
If there is any faster Prolog for the ST, I would like to hear about it ...

The trouble with Prolog-68 is that it is a pre-release version; some major
features like assert/retract are still missing, and so is most of the
doumentation.

>Now i use SALIX prolog. It is a commercial (approx. DM 200)
>package from germany. Its fast and reasonably bug resitant.
>The gem interface is nice (It is in prolog and no to slow).

I never got to write a GEM interface for TOY Prolog, it would have been
impossible to uuusssseee iiitttt, anyway :-(.

	Jens Kilian

--
** kilian@cc.GaTech.edu ** SnailMail: 200 Cityline Ave., Atlanta, GA 30308 ****
*       "As the air to a bird, or the sea to a fish, so is contempt           *

<<< End of forwarded message -- Klamer
--
Klamer Schutte
Faculty of electrical engineering -- University of Twente, The Netherlands