[comp.sys.atari.st] Read only

johnj@hijg.prl.philips.nl (John Janssen) (03/18/91)

In article <5440163@hplsla.HP.COM> andyc@hplsla.HP.COM (Andy Cassino) writes:
>I received e-mail from one Ian D. Hawkins who apparently can read this group
>but not post to it.

I was in the same position for some years.
I could read many newsgroups, but was not allowed to post.
Even email outside the company was not allowed.
This was for security reasons of the research center I was then.

I think many people are in that same situation.
And you know what the *worse* thing to happen is:

  Someone posting a very interesting article/question to the net
  and you will never know what the answer is...
  It is even worse that the people say, if you are interested
  let me know (by email). But you can not do that!!

So please, I am asking for all of these souls,
Reply to the net always, unless:
 - it has already been on the net recently,
 - or when it is a private matter.

And when email is still done: Summarize to the net!!!

As far as I know, in my neightbourhood, more people can only
read the net than post to it as well.

Sigh, I may be on another project soon, and
may have only read access to the net.

--
John Janssen        Do not reply to the email address in the header,
J.v.Deventerstr.1   as this will be filled in wrong by the system.

mathew@mantis.co.uk (mathew) (03/20/91)

johnj@hijg.prl.philips.nl (John Janssen) writes:
> I was in the same position for some years.
> I could read many newsgroups, but was not allowed to post.
> Even email outside the company was not allowed.
> This was for security reasons of the research center I was then.

I used to have Email access but not posting privileges. For the benefit of
others in the same position, it's possible to post to Usenet by mailing your
article to a suitable backbone site.

For example, you can post to comp.sys.atari.st by mailing your article to
comp-sys-atari-st@ucbvax.berkeley.edu...

mathew
--
"These kinds of remarks are wholly inappropriate and are the mark of a
 bigot." -- Theodore A. Kaldis <kaldis@remus.rutgers.edu>