[comp.sys.atari.st] GCR problem

iho@cac.washington.edu (Il Oh) (03/06/91)

Has anybody been able to get Spectre 3.0 to store the control
panel settings?  The manual seems to imply that this should happen
automatically if you reformat your HD under 3.0, but my mouse speed
setting keeps going back to the brain-damaged ultra-slow setting
every time I turn it on.

il
--
 "I'm sorry.                            |    Il Hwan Oh
  If you were right,                    |    University of Washington, Tacoma

pegram@kira.UUCP (Robert B. Pegram) (03/09/91)

From article <17776@milton.u.washington.edu>, by iho@cac.washington.edu (Il Oh):
> Has anybody been able to get Spectre 3.0 to store the control
> panel settings?  The manual seems to imply that this should happen
> automatically if you reformat your HD under 3.0, but my mouse speed
> setting keeps going back to the brain-damaged ultra-slow setting
> every time I turn it on.
>
> il

It has to be an "oop" partition not the old "ack" one (bill the cat
lives on at gadgets 8-).

I also have problem, and haven't been able to raise gadgets (via the
compuserve gateway).  I figure these are trying times for D. Small and
Co., so I'll ask it here.  My ancient 520 has a mouse and keyboard
problem under Spectre - the machine just loses the mouse unpredicably
(no response on the screen) after a while, and of course, the keyboard
is dead too.  I have the GCR box and 2 more Megs of memory plugged in,
so I figure the voltage to the keyboard could be low (haven't checked
yet) or I could have a flakey IKBD processor.  Anybody have any other
guesses, possible fixes and/or experiences to relate?  I don't want to
buy a new keyboard processor only to find that my problem is elsewhere.

If I have to replace my dinky external power supply (PS or PSU for the
abbreviation inclined 8-), what's best?  I have just gotten a new
shoebox w/power for the disk drive, so don't suggest a PC case 8-).
On the other hand, info on U.S. legal and well designed replacement
cases (available in the U.S.A.) would be interesting.  Remember, I *do
not have an STFM* the power supply is external.

thanks,
	Bob Pegram

pegram@griffin.uvm.edu
	or
...!uvm-gen!pegram

iho@cac.washington.edu (Il Oh) (03/10/91)

pegram@kira.UUCP (Robert B. Pegram) writes:

>, by iho@cac.washington.edu (Il Oh):
>> Has anybody been able to get Spectre 3.0 to store the control
>> panel settings?  The manual seems to imply that this should happen
>> automatically if you reformat your HD under 3.0, but my mouse speed
>> setting keeps going back to the brain-damaged ultra-slow setting
>> every time I turn it on.
>>
>> il
>
>It has to be an "oop" partition not the old "ack" one (bill the cat
>lives on at gadgets 8-).

The manual said that you just had to select "erase disk" from Finder to
change an ACK partition to an OOP partition.  I did that.  I guess we'll
wait until dsmall gets caught up a bit before hitting him with this
question.
--

pegram@kira.UUCP (Robert B. Pegram) (03/20/91)

From article <68295@brunix.UUCP>, by mjv@brownvm.brown.edu (Marshall Vale):
> In article <1991Mar8.193900.3518@uvm.edu> pegram@kira.UUCP (Robert B.
> Pegram) writes:
> [stuff about mouse and keyboard freezing]

>   Before you go about replacing hardware, I'd recommend at least doing
> a virus check with the latest version of Disinfectant (2.4 if I'm not
> mistaken). Mouse freezes are the symptoms of some Mac viruses.

>   It can't hurt!

> Marshall

Thanks, but that problem is unlikely, if possible 8-).  In any case, the
mouse and keyboard problems have now appeared in regular ST mode.  I
got a new Ikbd processor from Best Electronics, but that hasn't
helped.  A reset *always* fixes things for a while, so I rather doubt
that the keyboard connection is intermittent, it's hard to check!
I am now gearing up to figure out which 6850 ACIA to remove and
replace (I *did* get one from Best 8-).   If I foul things up, it's a
new STE for me 8-().  At least my trial run for desoldering, replacing
the connector in my mouse, went well.  I recommend the Radio Schnook
desoldering iron 8-).
	A couple of interesting things came from my talks to the Best
Electronics guy.  One is that the Mega keyboard is almost a drop in
fit for the original (external PS and floppies) 520ST, (same large
connector) and is only a little more expensive to buy ($110 vs $90
8-).  The other interesting thing is that there are two versions of
the keyboard processor.  I have an '85 ST, but luckily it used the
later processor -002.  If yours is a -001 version, you need a whole new
keyboard if it goes bad (I _hope_ that version was only on the
developer 520s, this is, after all, ancient history 8-).

By the way, sorry if I have seemed unresponsive, but we lost our news
feed here for most of last week 8-(.

ciao,
	Bob Pegram

pegram@griffin.uvm.edu