[comp.sys.atari.st] 40 folder problem

K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET (01/17/87)

I think ATARI is totally wrong with their attitude towards the 40
folder problem. It will hurt sales and it does render the harddisk
useless in a lot of cases. It hasn't be bad for ST sales here yet
because it has been hushed up in Europe, particularly in the german
speaking part, in the 5-6 german computer mags I read, I saw 1 (>ONE<)
reference to the 40 folder problem over the past year and even that
one said that they didn't notice any problem. I unpacked a SH204
last week and there is still no warning in the german handbook or
anywhere in the packing. I've run in to a number of people which
have ruined their harddisk and didn't have the slightest idea what
had happened.
  Most people which know that the problem exists (including myself)
have been holding quite, expecting ATARI to provide some kind of fix
within resonable time...but the gist of the discussion over the last
few weeks is: that there will be NO fix in the near future(3-4 months)
and that is just plain unacceptable. Any fix which raises the folder
limit to something like 500 would be ok, nobody is asking ATARI to
rewrite GEMDOS in half a year, just give us a fix!

                      Simon Poole
                      Physics Institute of the University Zuerich
                      K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET

daford@watdragon.UUCP (01/18/87)

In article <8701180911.AA22599@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET writes:
> I think ATARI is totally wrong with their attitude towards the 40
> folder problem. It will hurt sales and it does render the harddisk
> useless in a lot of cases. It hasn't be bad for ST sales here yet
> because it has been hushed up in Europe, particularly in the german
> speaking part, in the 5-6 german computer mags I read, I saw 1 (>ONE<)
>   Most people which know that the problem exists (including myself)
> have been holding quite, expecting ATARI to provide some kind of fix
> within resonable time...but the gist of the discussion over the last
> few weeks is: that there will be NO fix in the near future(3-4 months)

Exactly!  I am beginning to feel the pinch of the 40 folder limit on
my hard drive (20meg) and I've barely scratched its capacity (~5meg).
If I was in Atari's shoes I would be quiet too, for if I had know about the
limit I would probably not have purchased my machine. (my gawd! I might have
gotten a IBM (gag) PC clone (cough)).  I would suppose they are working
as fast as they can and after all fixes don't magically drop from the sky.
If they had a fix they would tell us.

Daniel A. Ford 					daford@watdragon.uucp
CS Department                         daford%watdragon@waterloo.csnet
U. of Waterloo       daford%watdragon%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET (01/22/87)

A german company is selling a patched version of TOS (I know: illegal), which
according to the report I saw, increases the folder limit to about 400. If I
hear more about it I'll report to the net.

BTW if the problem is GEMDos not allocating enough memory for the folder tree,
why can't it be fixed this way: Allocate about 50 kB with a TSR program and
change the pointer to the start of the GEMDos buffer to the new one ?

                          Simon Poole
                          K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET

fields@uktriton.cray.com (Mike Fields) (03/19/91)

Does anybody know whether the famous '40 folder problem' is fixed in later
version of TOS ??

I have a 4Meg STe with a 40M FA.ST Hard drive, with about 100 folders.
Occasionally
files get corrupted, different files get into the middle of files..It
looks very much
like the problems when, with my 1040, I encountered the 40 folder
problem.

I have tried with foldr150.prg but that didn't seem to change anything,
but it could
be because the problem has already happened and until I ZERO the
partition it
will continue regardless.

Anybody any ideas ??

Thanks
Mike Fields
fields@uk.cray.com

rcb@netcom.COM (Roy Bixler) (03/20/91)

In article <051358.839@timbuk.cray.com> fields@uktriton.cray.com (Mike Fields) writes:
>I have a 4Meg STe with a 40M FA.ST Hard drive, with about 100 folders.
>Occasionally
>files get corrupted, different files get into the middle of files..It
>looks very much
>like the problems when, with my 1040, I encountered the 40 folder
>problem.
>
>I have tried with foldr150.prg but that didn't seem to change anything,
>but it could
>be because the problem has already happened and until I ZERO the
>partition it
>will continue regardless.
>
>Anybody any ideas ??

It could also be the 'flakey DMA' problem.  I had this problem when I
got my original STe and solved it by trading it in for another one.

--
Roy Bixler
rcb@netcom.com -or- (UUCP) uunet!apple!netcom!rcb