[comp.sys.atari.st] Drunk Phones too!

stu892103@gcc.uucp (Mr. Fantasy) (03/20/91)

In article <3258@unccvax.uncc.edu>, cs00bd@unccvax.uncc.edu (brian daniels)
writes:
> Booted up my 1040st yesterday.  Discovered serious case of
> "drunk mouse syndrome"  (it moves jumpily/randomly/wrong direction etc..)
>    [misc. deleted]
> Removed new (just bought and installed that morning) Panasonic cordless
> phone from the desk that the atari resides on.
> Mouse sobered up instantly.
>
> Apparently the keyboard controller chip is not fond of nearby radio
> transmitters.
>    [misc. deleted]
> Reality is what YOU make of it.    Brian Daniels  (cs00bd@unccvax.uncc.edu)
> "My opinions are mine and do not represent those of my host computer"

Howdy,

     I have also had a slightly similar experience.  It all started when I got
my Supercharger [IBM emulator, for those who don't know] a couple of months
ago.  I set it up and had been messing around with running different things and
getting everything right and everything (other than some Supercharger problems)
was going along pretty smoothly.  Then, I heard the portable phone ring.  I got
up from the ST commanders chair and went to answer the phone.  (You know that
the portable phone is never where you need it.)  When I found the phone, it was
in it's base in the next room, and nobody was on the line.  Ok, I thought,
whatever.  Being smart, I left the phone in the other room and went back to the
trusty ST.  I was using the mouse with an IBM program and about 10 minutes
later the phone rang again, but I noticed that it sounded a bit strange.  I
answered it again and nobody was there, again.
     Not long afterwards I discovered the problem, because it continued to get
worse.  When I would move the mouse, the phone would start it's nice shrill
ringing.  This became CONSTANT, whenever I would move the mouse.  I thought
that it was the Supercharger along w/the mouse because it had never happened
before that.  I guess that it could have been the mouse alone, though.  Also,
the fact that my 1040 now has so many cables running out of it that it
resembles a mutant octopus may have contributed to the problem.

     My solution is to shut the phone off.  It only happens at seemingly random
intervals and not that often.  I think that the phone base is the key, as I
have not relocated it and the phone will start whining no matter where the
phone happens to be.

     Well, that's my story...watch this space for more stories.

Steven J. Greer			| UUCP:     ...!pitt!edinboro!gcc!stu892103
School:Box 2444			| INTERNET: stu892103%gcc@edinboro.edu
       Grove City, PA 16127     |I LOVE |
................................|  |||  |"It is unwise to meddle in the affairs
Home:--Box 25, Main St.		| / | \ | of wizards."
       Volant, PA  16156-0025   | ATARI |		-J.R.R. TOLKIEN