[net.wanted] Printer-Code Interceptor

ccastkw@gitpyr.UUCP (KENNETH E. WALKER) (03/19/86)

(* EAT ME *) or don't (* EAT ME *)

I'm looking for a daemon or some such thing to sit out in the memory of
an IBM PC-XT and intercept-then-translate characters being sent to the
printer.

What the story is, is that a friend bought his son an XT and a Toshiba
"3-in-one" printer. The printer does great letter-quality stuff, but
we're talking a 15 year old who wants something FUN and neat with graphs
and pictures etc.... The printer emulates a QUME "Sprint" (I've never heard
of it...) and doesn't like the output of most graphics printing programs.
Therefore I was elected (my friend's company is going to pay for my next

The daemon seems to be it in my experience, yet I don't know how to write
them. If anyone out there has such a wonderful device, I would be very happy
if I could get a hold of it> I will also be joyous if someone can just
point me in the right direction and explain what I need to do to create one.

Thanks in advance.

--
KENNETH E. WALKER
Office of Computing Services

gpw@ihlpf.UUCP (Wilkin) (03/20/86)

> I'm looking for a daemon or some such thing to sit out in the memory of
> an IBM PC-XT and intercept-then-translate characters being sent to the
> printer.
>
> What the story is, is that a friend bought his son an XT and a Toshiba
> "3-in-one" printer. The printer does great letter-quality stuff, but
> we're talking a 15 year old who wants something FUN and neat with graphs
> and pictures etc.... The printer emulates a QUME "Sprint" (I've never heard
> of it...) and doesn't like the output of most graphics printing programs.
> Therefore I was elected (my friend's company is going to pay for my next
>
> KENNETH E. WALKER
> Office of Computing Services
> Georgia Insitute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
> ...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!ccastkw

Qume is the name of an outfit that sold many many daisy wheel printers.
There is a company which I have seen in PC or BYTE, which makes a
software program to download the IBM fonts. They also allow graphics
to be printed. Maybe someone could post the name, DTI ????
--

   ____   _______   _____   _______     -------      George Wilkin
  / __ \ |__   __| /   _ \ |__   __|  -====------    AT&T Network Systems
 | (__) |   | |    \  \ \_\   | |    -======------   ...!ihpn4!ihlpf!gpw
 |  __  |   | |    /   \ __   | |    --====-------   IH 4A-157
 | |  | |   | |   |  (\ / /   | |     -----------    work 312-979-4???
 |_|  |_|   |_|    \_____/    |_|       -------      Naperville, IL

tj@utcs.uucp (tj) (03/21/86)

LPTX is a memory resident program that takes stuff and puts it in
a file. Could just as easily filter it and send it off to printer.

brown@nicmad.UUCP (03/22/86)

In article <1565@gitpyr.UUCP> ccastkw@gitpyr.UUCP (KENNETH E. WALKER) writes:
>(* EAT ME *) or don't (* EAT ME *)
>
>I'm looking for a daemon or some such thing to sit out in the memory of
>an IBM PC-XT and intercept-then-translate characters being sent to the
>printer.
>
>What the story is, is that a friend bought his son an XT and a Toshiba
>"3-in-one" printer. The printer does great letter-quality stuff, but
>we're talking a 15 year old who wants something FUN and neat with graphs
>and pictures etc.... The printer emulates a QUME "Sprint" (I've never heard
>of it...) and doesn't like the output of most graphics printing programs.

A Qume Sprint printer is a daisy-wheel, letter quality printer.  We have
two Qume Sprint 9s here.  That is one reason why it doesn't like graphics,
as it doesn't support graphics.  If the Toshiba is a dot-matrix printer,
you will need to find the mode that is NOT Sprint compatible.

Sorry that I can't give you any more information, as I don't know the
Toshiba printer.  Just wanted to tell you about the Qume printer.
--

              ihnp4------\
            harvard-\     \

connery@bnrmtv.UUCP (Glenn Connery) (03/22/86)

> (* EAT ME *) or don't (* EAT ME *)
>
> I'm looking for a daemon or some such thing to sit out in the memory of
> an IBM PC-XT and intercept-then-translate characters being sent to the
> printer.
>
> What the story is, is that a friend bought his son an XT and a Toshiba
> "3-in-one" printer. The printer does great letter-quality stuff, but
> we're talking a 15 year old who wants something FUN and neat with graphs
> and pictures etc.... The printer emulates a QUME "Sprint" (I've never heard
> of it...) and doesn't like the output of most graphics printing programs.
> Therefore I was elected (my friend's company is going to pay for my next
>
> The daemon seems to be it in my experience, yet I don't know how to write
> them. If anyone out there has such a wonderful device, I would be very happy
> if I could get a hold of it> I will also be joyous if someone can just
> point me in the right direction and explain what I need to do to create one.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> --
> KENNETH E. WALKER
> Office of Computing Services
> Georgia Insitute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
> ...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!ccastkw

See PC Magazine Sept 17, 1985 page 245.  It has a listing for such a
resident utility to translate graphics characters to other printer
codes, but could obviously be extended to translate escape codes or
whatever.  If you have a modem you can download the source from the
pc magazine bulletin board at (212) 696-0360... 300/1200-8-N-1.
--

Glenn Connery, Bell Northern Research, Mountain View, CA
{hplabs,amdahl,3comvax}!bnrmtv!connery