[comp.sys.atari.st] IFF converters?

youngmw@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Michael) (03/20/91)

Is there a good iff converter that someone could recommend?
I would like one that converts to Spectrum 512 format.
If anyone has a PD or shareware one could they upload it to
atari.archive?

Aaron

warwick@cs.uq.oz.au (Warwick Allison) (03/20/91)

In <8278@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> youngmw@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Michael) writes:

>Is there a good iff converter that someone could recommend?
>I would like one that converts to Spectrum 512 format.
>If anyone has a PD or shareware one could they upload it to
>atari.archive?

There is a GIF to SPECTRUM converter on atari.archive, so just find a IFF to
GIF!  You'll probably have such tools at your University.
--
  _--_|\   	warwick@cs.uq.oz.au
 /      *  <--	Computer Science Department,

rosenkra@convex.com (William Rosencranz) (03/21/91)

much of the PBMplus package has been uploaded to atari.archive.
look in ~/atari/printing/pbm, i believe. odds are there is an IFF
component. check the manpages. with PBM you can convert (and
manipulate) between just about most all popular graphic formats, color,
grayscale, and bitmap (mono). i have not tried it on the ST,
but always had good luck when i had access to a sun. warning: it
is HUGE. i know there are spc components as well as pi1, pi3, and
gif. the manpage archive is only 50k or so. get that first.

wait, i just checked...PBMplus has an IFF ILBM to pbm converter.
from pbm you can go to GIF, PI1, SPC, etc. only problem is the atari
port does not include ilbmtopbm. still, you can get the source
for PBM at your nearest comp.sources.unix archive and port it yourself.
best bet would be using gcc with 32-bit ints for easiest port.

hope this helps...

-bill
rosenkra@convex.com
--
Bill Rosenkranz            |UUCP: {uunet,texsun}!convex!c1yankee!rosenkra
Convex Computer Corp.      |ARPA: rosenkra%c1yankee@convex.com

seb3@gte.com (d2eve Belczyk) (03/21/91)

In article <8278@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> youngmw@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Michael) writes:
>Is there a good iff converter that someone could recommend?
>I would like one that converts to Spectrum 512 format.

I just sent IFFSPC.ARC, a program I wrote back in 1987 to do just this, to
atari.archive.umich.edu in /atari/new/iffspc.arc.  I hope that was the
right place to put it.  I also mailed a copy to the original poster and
would be happy to mail it to anyone without FTP access.

Steve Belczyk   CIS: 75126,515    BBS: +1 508 664-0149 (2400 bps)
seb3@gte.com    GEnie: sbelczyk   UUCP: {harvard,vaxine}!bunny!seb3