[comp.sys.atari.st] GCC: Virtual memory exhausted error?

es2a+@andrew.cmu.edu (Eric Stuyvesant) (03/17/91)

I'm running gcc from RAMdisk on my 4 Mb system, and am playing a
balancing game between disk space and memory.  I have been getting an
error from GCC, namely "Virtual memory exhausted."  Does this really
mean "disk space exhausted," as it seems to imply, or does it mean "not
enough memory?"  It doesn't seem to matter which version of gcc I use,
be it 1.37 or 1.39.

Thanks in advance,

-Eric Stuyvesant
es2a+@andrew.cmu.edu || es2a%andrew@CMCCVB || JNET%"es2a%andrew@CMCCVB"
al782@cleveland.Freenet.Edu
Wanna buy brand new Lynx games: Blue Lghtng, Slime World, Zendocon for $22ea?
Go MEMS!

7103_2622@uwovax.uwo.ca (Eric Smith) (03/18/91)

In article <0bsiSby00VADAIpl4O@andrew.cmu.edu>, es2a+@andrew.cmu.edu (Eric Stuyvesant) writes:
> I'm running gcc from RAMdisk on my 4 Mb system, and am playing a
> balancing game between disk space and memory.  I have been getting an
> error from GCC, namely "Virtual memory exhausted."  Does this really
> mean "disk space exhausted," as it seems to imply, or does it mean "not
> enough memory?"  It doesn't seem to matter which version of gcc I use,
> be it 1.37 or 1.39.

It means "Real memory exhausted" on the ST, since we don't have any
virtual memory. (Although if you have a TT, and write the necessary
software, this could change...)

I find gcc usually wants 2 megabytes; if your functions tend to be large
and complicated, 2.5 megabytes may be necessary.
--
Eric R. Smith                     email:
Dept. of Mathematics            eric.smith@uwo.ca

david@doe.utoronto.ca (David Megginson) (03/18/91)

In <1991Mar17.185002.8821@uwovax.uwo.ca>, Eric Smith writes:
> In article <0bsiSby00VADAIpl4O@andrew.cmu.edu>, es2a+@andrew.cmu.edu (Eric Stuyvesant) writes:
> > I'm running gcc from RAMdisk on my 4 Mb system, and am playing a
> > balancing game between disk space and memory.  I have been getting an
> > error from GCC, namely "Virtual memory exhausted."  Does this really
> > mean "disk space exhausted," as it seems to imply, or does it mean "not
> > enough memory?"  It doesn't seem to matter which version of gcc I use,
> > be it 1.37 or 1.39.
> >
> It means "Real memory exhausted" on the ST, since we don't have any
> virtual memory. (Although if you have a TT, and write the necessary
> software, this could change...)

It might also mean that you are hitting the 40(+) folder limit. Try
increasing the number of folders available with folrxx.prg (or you
hard-disk driver) and see if the problem disappears.

David

/  David Megginson                      david@doe.utoronto.ca          /
/  Centre for Medieval Studies          meggin@vm.epas.utoronto.ca     /

GERLOFF@tubvm.cs.tu-berlin.de (Olaf Gerloff) (03/20/91)

In article <0bsiSby00VADAIpl4O@andrew.cmu.edu>, es2a+@andrew.cmu.edu (Eric
Stuyvesant) says:

>I'm running gcc from RAMdisk on my 4 Mb system, and am playing a
>balancing game between disk space and memory.  I have been getting an
>error from GCC, namely "Virtual memory exhausted."  Does this really
>mean "disk space exhausted," as it seems to imply, or does it mean "not
>enough memory?"  It doesn't seem to matter which version of gcc I use,
>be it 1.37 or 1.39.

It means that gcc hasn't enough memory to work. He says virtual memory, because
gcc was first designed for UNIX, where you have virtual memory because of
paging and/or swaping.

Greetings, Olaf
-------
* Olaf Gerloff                      * Internet: GERLOFF@tubvm.cs.tu-berlin.de *
* Technical University Berlin (FRG) * BITNET  : GERLOFF@DB0TUI11              *
*               Impossible things will be executed immediately,               *
*                       miracles take a little longer!                        *

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (03/22/91)

es2a+@andrew.cmu.edu (Eric Stuyvesant) writes:
>I have been getting an
>error from GCC, namely "Virtual memory exhausted."

This means a malloc() call, or possibly an alloca() call, failed. Either
__stksiz is set wrong (should be -1 for GCC 1.39) or your memory is
fragmented or your RAMdisk is too big.  Or something.