[comp.sys.atari.st] Art/Drawing Program Wanted

whitcomb@aurs01.uucp (Jonathan Whitcomb) (03/20/91)

I am interested in getting an art program for my ST.  All I
have now is the Neochrome program that was bundled with my
ST back in 1986 (V0.5?).

I'd appreciate thoughts about and comparisons amoung commercial
and public domain art programs, STE and TT compatibility, prices
and availability.

Other considerations are whether the picture formats produced
may be imported into document processors and DTP packages, and
whether printer drivers are included.

Thanks.
Jonathan Whitcomb                    UUCP: <...!mcnc!aurgate!whitcomb>
(919) 850-6231                       I'm not a software engineer,
Raleigh, NC                          but I play one on TV.

schultzd@sierra.egr.msu.edu (The Michael Schenker Group) (03/22/91)

ART ST, the Shareware art program that gets bundled with QuickST is
reasonable.  It will save in a couple different formats.  Not sure
where it can be gotten.  I got mine with QuickST.

While on the subject.  I want to send in money for the shareware
programs I use, but I want to have the write addresses.  Can someone
mail me the addresses for Little Green Footballs and the ART ST.

Thanks...
--
  |||	David W. Schultz			   |||
  |||	uunet[!rutgers!mailrus]!frith!schultzd	   |||

boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (03/23/91)

In article <59665@aurs01.UUCP>, whitcomb@aurs01.uucp (Jonathan Whitcomb) writes:
>I am interested in getting an art program for my ST.  All I
>have now is the Neochrome program that was bundled with my
>ST back in 1986 (V0.5?).

I would highly recommend Degas Elite.  I use it constantly in combination with
PicSwitch to edit clipart for Pagestream.  It has a nice user interface, and
does not crash.  I do not know if it works on the STE or the TT.  Now, I don't
really do much in color with it.  If you are interested in actually drawing,
you may wish to give Spectrum 512 a try.  Also, I think some really famous
Amiga paint program is now produced for the ST (Deluxe Paint?).

>Other considerations are whether the picture formats produced
>may be imported into document processors and DTP packages, and
>whether printer drivers are included.

Well, the Degas .PI? and .PC? formats are Atari standards.  Spectrum pics are
also easy to find software for.

--
             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "It's amazing how much growing up