[comp.sys.atari.st] Upgrades for old system

tensmekl@infonode.ingr.com (Kermit Tensmeyer) (03/22/91)

	About a year and half ago my 1040 died (or was on it's last disk drive)
	After relocating, selling one house, buying another, I had the space to
	set my system again. Lo and behold, that which was "broken" is now fixed.

	I'm now in the market to buy new stuff for my toy. I'v missed out on the
	heated discussions and so I'm looking for summaries.

	What's a really good editor for the ST. VIX and STeVI don't cut it
	as Vi clones (my editor of choice on Unix).
	Do I really need to break down and make microemacs 3.10 the editor
	I use on all 6 systems?

	I have Tempus already, I am aware that there is no upgrade to
	Tempus II. What is the difference between the two versions and
	is it worth it.

	I have the monoscreen. I don't want to pay $340 for a color monitor
	for DM and  other "cool" :-) games; My wife wants something the
	the kids can use.
	 Does VidioKey present a real alternative to buying a color monitor.
	 Does anybody use a VidioKey without cursesing it to high heaven.

	Is there a list of the current versions of software, so that
	I can figure out of all my packages, which need to be upgraded
	to be really usable.

	What are the good WordProcessing packages as opposed to the
	DeskTop Publishing wannabe's?

	What the essential differences between DC desktop and NeoDesk 3.0
	(The major thing I see is the Neo CLI. [I seen the other CLI's and
	I'm not impressed.])

	Has anyone ported Perl to the ST? [It does run on a PC, why not an
	ST?

--
Kermit Tensmeyer                        | Intergraph Corporation
UUCP:     ...uunet!ingr!tensmekl	| One Madison Industrial Park

rcb@netcom.COM (Roy Bixler) (03/23/91)

In article <1991Mar21.194332.6951@infonode.ingr.com> tensmekl@infonode.ingr.com (Kermit Tensmeyer) writes:
>	What's a really good editor for the ST. VIX and STeVI don't cut it
>	as Vi clones (my editor of choice on Unix).

You could try Elvis if you're looking for a VI clone.  It seems to be
pretty complete.  The only problem I've had with it is that it ignores
any \etc\termcap file you might have and requires you to set up your
TERM environment variable to vt52.

>	Do I really need to break down and make microemacs 3.10 the editor
>	I use on all 6 systems?

Why not make GNU Emacs the editor of choice on all systems?  It even
has a 'vi' simulation available for it.  Of course, more than 1
Megabyte is recommended (if not required) for the ST.

>	Has anyone ported Perl to the ST? [It does run on a PC, why not an
>	ST?

Yes, that's been done.  You can ftp it from cs.uni-sb.de
(134.96.7.254).  Also, if it's not on the atari.archive, I could post
it there.

rcb@netcom.com -or- (UUCP) uunet!apple!netcom!rcb

boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (03/23/91)

In article <1991Mar21.194332.6951@infonode.ingr.com> tensmekl@infonode.ingr.com (Kermit Tensmeyer) writes:
>	What's a really good editor for the ST. VIX and STeVI don't cut it
>	as Vi clones (my editor of choice on Unix).

Have you tried steVIe v3.9 (which I put on atari.archive)?  I have used it
for some time, and found no bugs.  Of course, everyone uses VI a little
differently . . .

If you do know of bugs in this version, please email or post.

--
             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "It's amazing how much growing up