[comp.sys.atari.st] connecting VGA mono monitor to ST

dth@cs.brown.edu (Dzung T. Hoang) (03/23/91)

Has anyone tried to hook up a monochrome VGA monitor to the ST?  I suspect
that it will work.  The only difficulty is the 70Hz horizontal scanning rate
of the ST's monochrome monitor.  How about using the monochrome VGA monitor
as a grey-scale monitor for medium and low resolutions?  Any ideas and/or
comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dzung T. Hoang
dth@cs.brown.edu

hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) (03/24/91)

dth@cs.brown.edu (Dzung T. Hoang) writes:

>Has anyone tried to hook up a monochrome VGA monitor to the ST?  I suspect
>that it will work.  The only difficulty is the 70Hz horizontal scanning rate
>of the ST's monochrome monitor.  How about using the monochrome VGA monitor
>as a grey-scale monitor for medium and low resolutions?  Any ideas and/or
>comments would be greatly appreciated.

A simple VGA monitor (btw. VGA monochrome is always grayscale) will not
work, because of the different scan rates. That is the horizontal scan
rate. Pictures per second (vertical scan rate) is no so important and is
no problem at all (mostly :-).

A gray scale multi scan (Multisync is a trademark of Nippon Electronic
Corp.) monitor will do.
Multi scan monitors have a scan *range* rather than a scan *frequency*
(horizontal again). If You pick a monitor with a scan range from
14.point.something to 38.point.something, all Youll need is a cable and
a switch (to switch monochrome detect between ground and open).

hase
--
Hartmut Semken, Lupsteiner Weg 67, 1000 Berlin 37 hase@netmbx.UUCP
Hi! (Zaphod Beeblebrox)

mc4c+@andrew.cmu.edu (Mark Choi) (03/26/91)

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.atari.st: 24-Mar-91 Re: connecting VGA
> mono mon.. Hartmut Semken@netmbx.UU (1107)

> Multi scan monitors have a scan *range* rather than a scan *frequency*
> (horizontal again). If You pick a monitor with a scan range from
> 14.point.something to 38.point.something, all Youll need is a cable and
> a switch (to switch monochrome detect between ground and open)

And a few 38 ohm resistors on the colour lines would help a bit too.

				-GEISHA-