[comp.sys.atari.st] 2.5 million ST's sold worldwide!

neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) (03/25/91)

In article <669369942.7@egsgate.Fidonet.Org>  writes:
>I just heard that ST Format magazine (great U.K. magazine) ...
Yeah, great if you normally read Kleenex, Dixel or even Izal.

>... stated that Atari U.K. announced 2.5 million ST's sold worldwide!

The very same Atari UK that said the TT would be 1200 quid.

>  This is great.  Last time I heard it was at 1.9 to 2 million.

Well the number can only go up can't it. You can't unsell an ST. My guess
would be that sales are generally on a decline.

>S.S.

! DISCLAIMER:Unless otherwise stated, the above comments are entirely my own !
!                                                                            !
! Neil Forsyth                      JANET:  neil@uk.ac.hw.cs                 !
! Dept. of Computer Science         ARPA:   neil@cs.hw.ac.uk                 !
! Heriot-Watt University            UUCP:   ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!neil          !
! Edinburgh, Scotland, UK           "That was never 5 million!"              !

kiki@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Jack W. Wine) (03/25/91)

In article <669369942.7@egsgate.Fidonet.Org>  writes:
>I just heard that ST Format magazine (great U.K. magazine) stated that Atari U.K. announced 2.5 million ST's sold worldwide!  This is great.  Last time I heard it was at 1.9 to 2 million.
>
>S.S.

I've heard how the Atari STs have sold in abundance in the European market, but
only a little about the Asian arena.  Znet had an article of how readers
of a Hong Kong English newspaper felt about the ST: over 40% chose the Atari
as the computer of the decade!  A correspondent for Znet supposedly resides in
Japan but he hasn't been forthcoming with any news.  Sharp had a machine called
the X68000 that was designed (10 Mhz 68K, 1 MB sys mem, 1 MB video ram, 768 x
512 resolution and an ability to capture and display 16 bit color at 512 x 512
resolution) to compete against the Amiga, Atari and Mac.

I hope some people in Asia could give an update of how 68000 machines are doing
there.

Thanks,
Jack

ytsuji@wucc.waseda.ac.jp (Y.Tsuji Y.Tsuji shagaku) (03/25/91)

The only m68k machines ever sold in Japan are cpm68k boards to MSDOS machines
or X68000 (SHARP's hobby machine). CPM68K has been expensive because they are
for developers but SHARP's machines have been a great failure: people do not
buy machines people do not know. As to ATARI, they are the things one usually
finds in a music shop under dust. ATARI ST is very much like IBM PC here: the
owners used them before coming to Japan: no reason why they can be sold here.
Things are very different on 68020 or higher front (Sony's NEWS or SUN's of
various names). But that is not a comfort for us.

csc23042@sumax.seattleu.edu (Dave Jorgan) (03/26/91)

In article <5330@wucc.waseda.ac.jp> ytsuji@wucc.waseda.ac.jp (Y.Tsuji Y.Tsuji shagaku) writes:
>The only m68k machines ever sold in Japan are cpm68k boards to MSDOS machines
>or X68000 (SHARP's hobby machine). CPM68K has been expensive because they are
>for developers but SHARP's machines have been a great failure: people do not
>buy machines people do not know. As to ATARI, they are the things one usually
>finds in a music shop under dust. ATARI ST is very much like IBM PC here: the
>owners used them before coming to Japan: no reason why they can be sold here.
>Things are very different on 68020 or higher front (Sony's NEWS or SUN's of
>various names). But that is not a comfort for us.

In STart there is a company that appears to be a ST dealer in Tokyo. It is called
Andy's Music. Gives phone numbers, address.... and I have seen this ad running
for a while. One dealer does not market penetration make, I know, but it at
least seems as though they are doing reasonable business, so perhaps it is
not all that grim.......

Dave